Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone in the First Week of Their Unpteenth Quit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning everyone!

Hmmm, a discussion on happiness....great topic.. I don't know if any of you read the book "Sh*t My Dad Says" but I often think of sh*t my Dad told me. He once told me that happiness is a state of mind, if you can change your mind, you can change how happy you are. It took me a lot of years to understand what he was trying to teach me, by the way, I miss my Dad and the sh*t he tried to teach me! So now I think of happiness as contentment, if I am content, I have no reason to be unhappy. Wouldn't life be great if we went through every day without a worry or care, that we always got what we wanted and never had to go through tough times? Wouldn't that be true happiness?

As recovering alcoholics, each night when we go to bed we should be happy that we got through another day AF. But if that is all there is, getting through each day sober, what's the point? Well, each night before bedtime, I take stock of what my day was like, was it good or was it bad, and for what reason was it either of those two. Was there anything I could have done to make it better? If I go to bed content with my day, I go to bed a happy guy! So it turns out my Dad was right, by making changes in the way I think, I change how happy I am! Gratitude and contentment have a lot to do with how happy we are. Have a fantastic Friday my friends, no quitting on your quit eh!
    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

I do the same in my nightly prayers Cowboy, I'll either thank God for a lovely day or if its been bad I still say thanks for helping me through and talk about making the next one better,sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but I still am grateful for each day even if it sucked haha,we talked about happiness on the abs thread awhile ago and Immentioned that I think alkies have a hard time knowing what happiness is, we're expecting that fake drunk happiness, we all know now that it's not a true happy feeling but at the time it seems like it,I think we miss it though sometimes, but I'll take contentment, these past days though have just been a pity party where its hard to find that gratitude or contentment, but I guess everyone has those days,hello to all,back later
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Fine I'll thread hog,last nite I was watching my 600 lb life,this lady was so big that firefighters had to get her out of bed and into a van so she could travel to Texas to get surgery, the first month she was stuck in the hospital and lost 40 lbs,they did her weight loss surgery, she went home and gained 5,eating fried foods, laying in bed,all the whilemmaking excuses, I only bring this up cuz I feel like those people are similar to us,me and Available have discussed this before,this lady thought by having surgery the weight would magically fall off while she laid in bed eating won tons and meatloaf??? She had the nerve to tell the doc that she's done everything, I wanted to slap her lying ass,but what do alkies do?same thing,lay there saying we've tried everything, yeah everything but quitting, that show just made me realize what I already know, we have to change our living, and WORK at sobriety or it'll never change

Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by paulywogg View Post
          Fine I'll thread hog
          Good one Pauly! :haha:
          AF since January 7, 2014 *Never, never, never give up. ~ Winston Churchill*

Comment

Hi, Pauly

If you can just give it enough time, I promise you it becomes less work. I don't even think I would say it is even an effort anymore. I check in here and keep noticing what is better about my life now vs then but day-to-day, that's about it. That awareness makes me feel confident that if I ever were about to take a drink for some weird reason, I would get help before I did such a thing.

I think drinking made us lazy - such an easy way to "solve" any problem that came up and so we became impatient with anything that required time and effort. This is something that does take time, though, and the more you can relax about that and try not to judge how you're feeling and think you haven't made quick enough progress, the easier it actually ends up being. For about the first 4 months, I just wanted to be DONE - boom - a happy and healthy non-drinker. That just made me anxious and made me think about drinking (or, not-drinking) all the time. In one of those ironies, the less I thought about getting 'well', the better I was. xx, NS

Comment

Hey all!

Wow lots of good posts!!

I agree unhappiness is a frame of mind and being an Alcoholic I do want the euphoria of when I'm buzzing. That isn't a real buzz!
              Absolutely shattered so off to bed in a mo. again, strong thoughts of drinking so I hd dinner at 5.30pm. I think I'm coming down with a cold too :-/

Hope everyone is staying strong. Night x

Comment

Cowboy I agree with your dad, happiness is a state of mind. So much to think about with tonight's posts. Right now I am choosing to be happy, tired, but happy.
                Min I hope you're not getting sick, feel better. My daughter and son are conjuring up goodies in the kitchen tonight, off to try some of it.

Comment

Oh boy - life likes to challenge me!!!

My mother fell last evening, laid on the floor all night, called a friend this morning to take her to hospital. She has a broken foot and cannot drive or get herself around for 4 weeks. I am going to be busy. I am so mad she did not call me, or her lifeline for help. I think it is due to the fact she had been drinking ��and did not want anyone to see her like that. I discussed that with her, but she says that was not a factor .

She already has very weak legs due to arthritis in spine, this might mean moving to a home after this - hmm

Comment

So sorry Beachy,how old is your mom?

Comment

Oh SHOOT, BG! That's terrible. I worry every day I'll get another call like that. I can't imagine laying there all night. How old is your Mom? Sending you good vibes. I really feel for you.

Comment

image.jpg

Comment

Mom is 80 and seemed ok tonight. I will go check on her first thing in the morning agsin

Comment

Saturday. Happy Weekend everyone. The true test is this weekend for me.
                            Some of you may know me from lingering around here the last few years...(failing miserably a lot of the time)...anyways, I am a big animal rights advocate...and am heavily involved in trying to help not only my communities animals but ones across the globe too.
                            I am not sure if this is allowed but was wondering if I could share this link with you guys?
                            The "Yulin Dog Meat Festival" is tomorrow in Yulin, China...many cats and dogs are subjected to incredible cruelty and barbaric actions against them - along with being eaten. I am very passionate about trying to help these animals (although sometimes I feel so helpless - one of the reasons I drank heavily too....feeling helpless)....
                            Anyways. If you could maybe sign and share this petition...to stop it...at least we are trying to do something...

Hope this is OK. If not, I understand.

Comment

Thanks Bri, I am a hunter, but only hunt for meat and always consume what I hunt, but when it comes to domestic pets, ...... Petition signed....

BG, hopefully your mom is doing better today. Funny thing that as they get older, they don't want to be a burden and still want to be fiercely independent.
                              Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                              Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                              Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Hey guys, Bri,that's an awful"festival" makes me shudder just thinking of it,Beachy,hope mom feels better today and hope she heals quickly, working today so not in the greatest mood this morning, also slept too late for my walk,oh well,there's always tomorrow, hello to all back later

Comment

Working...
                                X