Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone in the First Week of Their Unpteenth Quit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chief...those are some inspiring words indeed! I agree that Kick the Drink Easily is a book all should read...it's a no nonsense approach to it all...Some may find it surprising that he feels when you are done it's over and you aren't a recovering anything but a person who no longer drinks! I think whatever way works for you works for you..right?
    Argh and that damned I want a drink that comes outta nowhere is something I find so bizarre but again Chief your way of dealing with it is inspiring...gotta try that as I've heard the monster's voice and succumbed now twice but I keep pushing forward and focus on all the days I've had sober instead of the stumbles...another book that describes the monster who wants to be fed is By Allen Carr - How to stop drinking the easy way...all these things help us in many ways!

Comment

Good luck with your garden Chief!
      The weather in Europe is also fantastic this year and today is a holiday, so life should be quiet.
      The gym is always a good option regardless of what is going on I think. I have not been going the past few weeks, for no good reason, but will get back on track....

Congrats on ur 21 clear days!
      (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Just internalizing this. . .I am not a recovering anything, just a person who doesn't drink.! I like this, it will be my mantra!

Comment

KTD is a great book, Allen Carr wrote something similar. Whether you quit or moderate, the concepts make a huge difference is how alcohol is viewed. best of all, you feel positive about things when you gain that insight.

Not powerless any more, NO SIR !!

Comment

I am new to this site, but not new to quitting - and quitting and quitting. I read your stories and they resonate. I need to quit drinking but it is hard to do. Tomorrow is the day - with your help. Any advice would be welcome. I do know and agree that when I quit I feel better, why is it so hard???

Comment

Welcome cmh. I agree it's so hard. I quit a ton of times too. Keeping busy helps me. Keeps my mind occupied. I also walk and or run. Drink tons of water and eat "comfort food". stay here and let us help you. Were all in the same boat dealing with the same issue. Let's help each other. Don't focus on the stumbles, focus on the sober days.

Comment

Hi all. Wishing I could post more often but have limited access to the computer while we are building our house this summer.

Day 46 here and so glad I've been catching up here as lately my monkey has been suggesting that not only should I have a drink but that I should not fess up here or on my blog. He's trying all the angles. You'll just have to believe me when I say I am still abstinent but it's not because of honesty, it's because I keep remembering that it's never just one damn drink. How's that for honesty.
                "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
                Lao-Tzu

Comment

Good job on day 46 sober! Wish I was at 46. You're doing great!

Comment

Welcome CMH! Glad you joined us. I'm on day 36 and I have to say it gets a little easier every day. I'm learning to go to things and stay AF. Those first two weeks were brutal! Like the others, I stay really busy and I check in here several times a day. I retired early so I don't have work to take my mind off AL. I've downloaded a book recommended here, "Kick the Drink..Easily" by Jason Vale. It's on my phone and it's always at my finger tips if I get a little tempted. Post, Post, Post and Read, Read, Read here and on the Newbie Nest thread.

It's really hard but it's really worth it. I finally feel like I'm living in the moment instead of the haze.

SS, do you think this is happening because you can't as easily check in at MWO? I feel such accountability to all the peeps here that it really gives me strength when I feel weak.

Hope everyone is doing great and staying AF on this fine Monday evening! (it's Monday evening where I am)

Comment

Welcome CMH...glad you're here! Like Ginger said, read and post as often as you can so you can really get into it and get to know all the good people here who are going through this with you. We all help eachother and look forward to hearing from eachother everyday. It's tough at first but you'll see the positive effect of not drinking fairly early.

SS....great job on recognizing that useless son of a bitch, the Beast, trying to trick you into having "just one"....(yeah right, like there is such a thing). You are much better than that and we're all proud of you.....:goodjob:

I worked outside today and got a lot done but still have a lot to do but I enjoy it and keep thinking I wouldn't get a damn thing done if I were drinking beer all day. About 4:00 I decided it was me time so I went to the gym and ran 3 miles and then sat in the hot tub. It felt good. I know exercising really helps me stay focused. I look forward to it everyday.

Well, it's time to hit the nest. Stick with it everyone!

Day 22 is done....

Don

Comment

Thank you Chief; captain my captain. Is the reference to the Beast from smart recovery? Albert Ellis is one of my heroes. Been reading their way through. There is no end once the Beast has his claws in me. From dawn until dusk and beyond I hear him, no end to the cravings once the beast has spoken though everyone tells me his whispers are temporary. Hours go by and I still hear him from dawn until dusk. Life is so much more and yet it can't drown out his voice. What is your secret; your plan? Fought for hours and the Beast won't leave me in peace. I need a new bulb for my fog lights and maybe replace the wipers.
                        “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
                        Newbies Nest Roll Call
                        Toolbox
                        Cattleman Cafe

Comment

I finally gathered the guts to joun. So terribly afraid of anonymity issues. So terrified of "online sharing" stuff.. I hide everything so well. I caved in tonight after 48 hours. I was so "gung ho" this am. I tried to talk myself out of things this afternoon but it just didn't work out. But I felt so strong with this morning. What is God's name do I do? How do I stop this?

Comment

I'm a newbie. I was so looking forward to making it to 3 days++. I gave in tonight. I felt so strong this morning though. I tried to talk myself out of things this aft, ... but , I clearly failed. It always happens this way. I just don't know what to do..

Comment

Hi again, Sarah! This is a great thread. Go back a few pages and read. There are some great people here.

Comment

I lurked for a few years Sarah and never felt so alone. Here I have seen how much we are not alone. 3 to 4 days is the hardest. Still working on it myself but without these brilliant, caring people day 1 would've been too much. Welcome to our sober family. Make yourself at home. Check out the newbies nest and the toolbox (links in my signature below). Success is a foregone conclusion, the rest is AL's illusion.
                                “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
                                Newbies Nest Roll Call
                                Toolbox
                                Cattleman Cafe

Comment

Working...
                                X