Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone in the First Week of Their Unpteenth Quit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gardener;1657623 wrote: What was I thinking??? Made it all the way to the weekend, then caved. Just one I told myself, yeah right - one bottle of wine Friday, then two Saturday. On Sunday I drank all that I could - so sick of this.

Day 1, May 5, 2014, need all the help I can get guys, I'm going to give it another try. Stick with it everybody, proud of all of you racking up the days!
    Hi, Gardener

This is just my opinion and experience but I think that if an online forum is going to be your main tool and support system, you've got to really use it.

Post at least once a day, every day, and preferably more often. Tell people what is hard for you and get help. Present your plan and get feedback from people who have been there and done that and can recognize the escapes you are leaving for yourself...Help other people! By writing to them, you are making those words your truth. For weeks I typed what I knew they (and I!) should do. After awhile, I realized I was really doing it! It isn't that I was lying -- people do need to get rid of the alcohol in their house, have a plan for the witching hour, etc. But it took time before I myself had managed to actually commit to doing that long list of necessary things. Encouraging others with specific examples helped get me there.

Anyway, I'd just encourage you and anyone else who is getting tired of the repeated cycle to make a change --- commit yourself to actively participating in your and others' recovery here. Or, add another element such as face to face meetings to your program. Some variable needs to change if you want a different outcome.

Let me know if there is ever anything I could do to help you. :h NS

Comment

I love the support here on this thread. Thank you all. :h
      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

SS, I would love to be a member of the reformed habitual offenders, I'm so ready to be free of this misery.

You make excellent points NS, thank you. I know you are right. I do need to participate here more and that's in my plan. I read posts here often, but don't feel I can offer anyone struggling very good advice as I have failed to stop drinking so many times.

I get what you are saying that I should offer help anyway because I really do know what I should be doing and them as well.

I am a little on the shy side, this is hard for me, but I want to quit drinking more than suffer a little discomfort from shyness.

We went out to dinner with clients tonight, I had delicious unsweetened tea, appetizer, salad, entree and dessert. I'm stuffed, no room for wine. I was proud to make it through the dinner without giving in. No one really cared what I was drinking, I just calmly ordered the tea and was resolved not to care what they thought.

I also posted here twice today, see, I'm off to a better start already .

Watch out, next I'm going to try and help someone
        "A good garden may have some weeds"
        Thomas Fuller

Comment

I'm heading to bed one happy girl after I finish my peppermint tea. I'm so glad I managed to not drink today and looking forward to finally getting back on track! The funny thing is that if I can just get past that 5 o'clock urge, I really enjoy the evening a lot more when I don't drink.
          You had the power all along, my dear.

Comment

Hi
            Hoping to join you all. I have no idea how many times I have tried to quit. It is ridiculous. I have achieved many goals but not sobriety. I have just finished day 1 again. Took my Antabuse this morning so no drinking for me for at least a few days. I just need to convince myself to keep taking it.
            If I don't take it at the right time, the switch flips and thoughts of not taking it creep in.
            When I took it daily I achieved 5 months. I just need this viscous cycle to stop.
            I need to be an example to my son who is struggling with drug addiction and alcohol addiction.
            How do I ask him to stay clean when I cant? Going to bed and looking forward to a sober awakening in the morning. Will post again tomorrow.
            Hugs, R4L
            Don't worry, be happy!

Comment

Running for Life, so glad to have you here. Welcome. We've been at this for some time haven't we?

My son who is the father of a one year old will either lose everything or quit drinking. He does not know that yet, but I see it in the cards for him. This man has the sweetest disposition except when he drinks. Then he becomes belligerent and horrible. His wife and I have talked about this and it's a very sad situation.

My other son is married to a vodka, weed, cigarette addict and she is the mother of two of my other precious grandchildren. She is aware and in the early stages of working on healing (trying to moderate - we all started there...)

So, like you, what kind of example am I to them if I keep drinking?

We have to do this for ourselves first but holy cow, as mothers, we really owe it to our kids not to be one of the excuses they use to keep drinking.

Stay close. Don't leave and keep taking the antabuse.
              "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
              Lao-Tzu

Comment

I will jump on board with you.......I'm on another day 4. Have been quietly lurking as feeling too guilty about all the starts/stops I've had. I don't feel I would be of help to anyone. I guess this group can understand. I may not post much, but will follow you until I feel more sure of myself.

I haven't had much of an urge to drink since my last on Friday night, which resulted in an ugly blowup with hubby. Very difficult to argue when you are drunk and he's sober. I feel very bad about what happened and that has made it easier to stop this time. However, I CANNOT fall asleep. Gave in and took a sleeping pill last night at 1:30 am after 3 hours of tossing and turning.

Best of luck to all here

Comment

I can't sleep either New Day, can hardly keep my eyes open this afternoon. Took 2 serotonins last night and woke every 2 hours. Have some sleepy time tea for tonight and am planning an Epsom salt bath with lavender oil.

Anyone out there know of any natural sleep remedies? Serotonin doesn't work that well for me and I'm worried about taking sleeping pills because for me, I'm afraid I would develop a dependence on them.
                  Thomas Fuller

Comment

What about melatonin? That works. Also try unpasteurized cherry juice. It has lots of melatonin in it but you have to buy it at the health food store and make sure it's not pasteurized as that kills all the benefits.

On another thread someone was saying that putting some magnesium in the bath water helps but I am not sure how that works...

Insomnia is absolutely awful. I hope you guys get through it soon.
                    "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
                    Lao-Tzu

Comment

Thanks SS, will look for the cherry juice at the health food store tomorrow. Melatonin gets me to sleep but I wake up every 2 hours or so. Epsom salt (magnesium) baths are supposed to help I hear, going to try that tonight.

I've been here before, for me it passes in a couple of weeks. Have a great evening. Looking forward to another great meal, healthier tonight as we are dining at home. Got my lemon/lime spritzer for my beverage.
                      Thomas Fuller

Comment

Hi all.....got so much more done today than I usually do, and without having to lie down for a nap mid day. Had a cranberry juice & soda with dinner and now camomile tea. Hoping valerian, melatonin and a glass of warm milk at bedtime helps me get some sleep tonight
                        Pick up my 2 year old grandson tomorrow afternoon and have him for 24 hours.......need all the energy I can find.....he is an early riser and go go go all day long. I love being with him every week, but do find it tiring.

Staying strong......and wishing the same for you all.

Comment

I failed,so ebmbarrased to post,but when i said i'd be honest im honest,just emotions,b.s,ugh
                          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Understand where you are Pauly, keep up the fight.
                            Thomas Fuller

Comment

Yes! This is my zillionth restart but my first start as a member of MWO. I'm very excited about the support I see here on this blog.

Comment

Go for it Ginger. This is the place to be for support. It's certainly helping me. Good luck and keep posting.
                                I can beat this.
                                Today is the day I start.
                                1st September 2015.

Comment

Working...
                                X