Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone in the First Week of Their Unpteenth Quit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So it seems I get two or three days under my belt and that's where I keep hitting the wall. With both AF and NF. It all is generally pretty smooth, nothing tumultuous. Yesterday was typical.

I was talking to a co-worker at a location remote from me and he brought up drinking, why I don't I come down some time we'll tear up the town, etc., etc., etc. Didn't say anything just kind of chuckled and then we hung up. On the drive home I start thinking do I go to the Dojang today as there is no Friday class (which is typically the day I go and so this was the plan) or do I go grocery shopping. So I decide to go to Whole Foods and just get to the Dojang for the meditation at 8:30. I get out of Whole Foods without beer or wine.

The whole time in the back of my head is that voice telling me that I can have just one like hypnosis and it just keeps lingering. The rest is pretty self explanatory. At 3 am I'm jumping in the shower so I can be up to head out to work by 8:30 am. Why????????? The only thing I can reason is the exact place I screw up is that I start changing my plan. Then it keeps changing.

I'm not angry at myself, I'm actually not hungover which I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. Back to day 1. Not as bad a crash as it they had been before I started lurking but no ticker day parade.
    “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
    Newbies Nest Roll Call
    Toolbox
    Cattleman Cafe

Comment

Orimus, It's good you're not beating yourself up too much. That's pretty pointless. Like they say around my country..... Just get back on that horse 'til you break it. You keep tryin' it'll happen. Have you read "Kick the Drink...Easily" by Jason Vale? It has a completely different thought about alcoholism, which I agree with. I downloaded it to my phone and whenever I feel tempted, I read a few pages. It helps me remember why I'm trying to rid myself of this nasty monkey on my back called AL. If you have any left overs from last night - toss them quick and saddle up!

Comment

Doing ok here. Dog is feeling better and so am I. Why is it when I'm feeling strong and food there's always something to throw me back into temptation ? Ginger thanks for that reference, I am going to look into it.

Comment

Liz, I felt the same way the first couple of days. Just seemed like I kept getting hit with other health issues that kept me wondering if being AF was worth it. Getting past that now though. J-Vo mentioned this book and one other in a post some place. I couldn't find the other one as an ebook and I wanted it to be mobile so I could grab a page or two when I got weak.

Hope everyone has a great AF weekend. I have a grad party tomorrow and my son's 40th bday party. I also have a plan and I'm feeling strong!

Comment

Hiya
            Sounds like everyone is keeping on the path or if straying.. Finding it again quickly!! That's great
            Glad you have a plan Ginger
            It's my second af weekend, harder than the last but no way am I drinking
            Take care
            Patrice

Comment

"Kick the Drink" is a good read. It really makes a lot of sense to me. I think sometimes we make quitting a lot harder than it needs to be. We can convince ourselves that it's next to impossible when, in fact, it's not. I think like a lot of things, it's really a frame of mind.

Let's all do this.....one day at a time....and the days just add up and you start feeling better, thinking better, looking better and truely realize you are doing the right thing.

Let's have a great AF weekend!

Don

Comment

Hi all,

Happy to be waking up to a sober sunrise...day 3. Have a beautiful, clear, healthy weekend to all!
                Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                :h

Comment

Just want you all to know how much your posts inspire me. I've been having a tougher time this time around. I find strength and comfort in your stories. I'm gonna get there to. Today I'm taking it a minute at a time. Hanging out in the pool with pink lemonade and a good book. I can do this today!

Comment

Morning all! It's a beautiful day in my neck of the woods. Going to be a busy party day with grad parties and bday party. I have a plan and I'm ready.

Last night we went to our grandson's basketball game and when we left the gym I had the sudden "I want a drink" feeling. Just out of no where - bam! Hit me like a brick. Thought of all of you and it subsided quickly. It was really a weird blip. I'm totally fine now but just thought it was weird. Wanted to share that just thinking about all of you at MWO helped it pass quickly.

Feeling grateful today that I stopped lurking and joined you all on this AF journey.

Comment

Yes, it's interesting how, out of the blue, those "I want a drink" feelings come over us. Sometimes they can be intense and make you feel like you're not in control of what will happen next. The key to it all is realizing that you ARE in control of everything you do and everything you put into your mouth. The Beast wants you to think you're weak and are on autopilot and must/will have a drink. But this is all bullshit....total bullshit. At the very moment you have these feelings of helplessness you must realize what's happening and immediately take over the controls and slap the shit out of The Beast. When you master this, that brief moment of perceived panic will quickly go away and you'll be left feeling in control and proud of yourself for taking care of the situation and the next time it happens you will recognize it for what it is.....a trick your drinking mind is playing on your real mind, your non-drinking mind....the real you.

At least that's the way it works for me......I hope that makes sense and can help.

Good job on staying on course everyone....let's all keep it going. It doesn't matter if you're on day 1 or day 101....every day counts.

It's day 20 for me.

See you all tomorrow..

Don

Comment

You are so right! Everyday does count no matter how many. Made it through the day AF and now I'm headed to bed to read (feeling thankful...)

Comment

Helpful comments Chief!
                          I have read your posts here for quite a long time. Time for me to finally say hi.
                          "Hi!!"
                          (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Chief, love your posts... inspiring to the max.
                            FT
                            AF with a few speed bumps during 2014 & 2015 but will succeed.
                            As of 4/12/2014 I have not smoked at all and feel great.

Comment

Hi Eloise, nice to meet you...

Spent the day planting veggies and flowers dodging the rain and thunderstorms. Tomorrow it's suppose to be nice so I can mow.....that takes a couple hours, then I have to go buy mulch and start muching beds. Sometimes I wish I lived in a condo....

Found time to go to the gym though. I've been going everyday and either run or swim and I know that helps me stay focused and helps me sleep at night. My first 2 weeks of not drinking I really had a hard time sleeping. I'm just now starting to sleep more than 4 or 5 hours a night. But not sleeping well is better than drinking. I remember when I quit before I had the same problem for a while but then I started sleeping like a baby. I can't wait for that to begin.

Day 21 here and I'm very happy I'm on the right track. I don't ever want to go back there again.

Time to log on to the Drinktracker.......Let's all keep it going!

Don

Comment

Great post chief! Any AF day counts. Felt pretty good this weekend. We can do this! A pat on ten back for another AF day!

Comment

Working...
                                X