Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone in the First Week of Their Unpteenth Quit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liz, I'm not offended at all, but for the grace of God I'd still be drinking, or dead... and thank you! :hug:
    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

ABC, I loved your quote:
      So hubby went for whiskey and men's time, just ask yourself why they need whisky to enjoy their time together? What does whiskey do to make that time any better?
      Liz (INSERT HUGE HUGS HERE) I don't know if you remember me posting this from our Steppers Thread, but right after my family did their "intervention" and tried to get me go to a 28-day inpatient rehab, I saw an addiction therapist. I told her (truthfully) that I REALLY enjoyed having one or two glasses of wine with my then 81-year-old mother when I visited her. It was a ritual with us. And I tearfully told this therapist, "what am I going to do if I can't share wine with my mom?" My mom is not alcoholic, but she likes her one or two glasses of wine in the evening. The therapist told me, "It's not what's in the glass, it's about the time you are spending with her." She was right. What bothered me more was that I was taking away from my mom's "treat" because she would not drink in front of me after that intervention, and I knew she missed her wine. Eventually, my mom felt more comfortable drinking in front of me...and it didn't bother me that she did...I was proud of myself that I could have sparkling water with a lemon, orange, or lime in it and be just as happy. I hope this helps! xoxoRusty

Comment

Liz, dear, I am getting ready to send you a PM, so check your Inbox! :-)

Comment

A new school year, and a committed focus on keeping AL at bay. Why do we struggle with Al when the negatives are sooooooooo great.??? I for one want no more of it.. With the support of this place and seeing a therapist, I have vowed to be the one in control of my life, not giving one iota of an inch to AL. Sending strength and happiness and hugs to all of you :hug:

Comment

Good on you for taking your life back. Make sure you have your tools assembled and your plans in place. Getting sober is worth it O.H.

Comment

I'm back too

Comment

Welcome back Feather. :hug:

Comment

Thank you, Briseus. I'm relieved to be back on board. It's been up and down for a long time. I did come back with another 'persona' and made ten months or thereabouts but probably about 3 years have passed. I've dramatically cut down on what I was doing when I first joined, both in the amount and the frequency but I still have times when I drink several times a week, about one litre of red wine at a time. (Waaay better than it used to be). But I'm getting older, I've got diabetes, cholesterol, all that stuff. And periodically a dull ache where I know I shouldn't have one.. the time has come to call it a day. I've not had a drink for four days, but that's common so it's not some great achievement. The achievement will come when I make it over the weekend.

Comment

Haven't even got time to look back, but need you guys. Got 14 days then my cousin came to stay from NY. Too much! Felt under pressure to entertain.....anyway, want to get back on track. Tomorrow!
                    IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                    Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

We are here for you Daisy! You can totally do this again and maybe next time you might not feel pressure to drink..I know the feeling all too well though, we all do! So get back on the wagon and lets do this!

Feather - I can totally relate...I was a super heavy drinker...then got 8 months sober...and went back to drinking...definitely didn't drink as heavy as I used to either...would have a couple beers here and there...but then it started to slowly get out of hand again. Where my entire vacation I had a few months ago is a total blur between being drunk and being so anxious I couldn't leave my house (even almost had a panic attack at the liquor store!).
                      The weekends are definitely tough..but you need to put a plan into place for that first weekend, stuff you already know though. So keep as busy as possible! Plan some new recipes, or try some MOCKtails, go out for walks or have a movie marathon...or anything. We know you can do this again. YOU know you can do this again.
                      Congrats on four days!

Sending you (Daisy) and you (Feather) lots of hugs! :hug:

Comment

Brii....thank you!
                        IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                        Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Oh daisy, I just had a bit of a set back too. I'm here for you, we can do this! Let's just keep trying.

Comment

Great to see you back daisy, you too fnf! FNF, you're not a Conservation Officer by chance?
                            Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                            Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                            Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Hello!!!! Hope that everyone is having a good day/evening/night/morning. I saw this today and I wanted to share.............

Last edited by NoraC; September 10, 2015, 09:58 PM.
                              "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hey guys!!!

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X