Sober Mayites- Assemble!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sober Mayites- Assemble!

Spirit, your question caused me to think about how/when I came to be able to use painting a wall as a means of focusing on a single task. I remember right after 911 I was so distraught, and needed to do something to quiet my mind. I decided to paint the living room, and to do so in silence. I found myself focusing solely on the stroke of my brush (if edging) or the rolling the paint on the wall. If my mind wandered, I brought it back to the paintbrush. Thinking back, that was probably the start of meditation for me. I guess it's meditation with a clear end product, a painted room and a quiet mind.

Great story today about putting a request out to the universe. I was walking the mile from the hardware store to my apartment with three gallons of paint. Facing a huge staircase to get to my neighborhood, I thought I could really use a hand carrying this load up the stairs. Along comes a young lady who asks, "Can I lighten your load by carrying one of those gallons?" We ended up having a lovely five minute conversation on courage and choice. Love the way the universe responds to my request.

Have a great weekend all. I am going into offline mode as part of my day of no internet (except work)
    Free at Last
    "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
    http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Sober Mayites- Assemble!

Very cool story, Free- thanks for sharing that.

Hope everyone has a good AF weekend!

Comment

Sober Mayites- Assemble!

Hey everyone, thread got quiet, thought I'd check in and see how everyone's doing. We're almost halfway through May. Everyone protecting their quit?

Comment

Sober Mayites- Assemble!

Sorry - I've been soooo busy at work and then with my son and his homework at night. I am here! I am sober! I am almost half way through May - close to 6 months (well, not so close, but close enough - I'll let you know...)

Hope everyone is well. I'll ramble more this weekend.

Comment

Sober Mayites- Assemble!

Interesting thread, popped in to join as 1st May was the beginning of my AF time and I certainly intend to remain sober for May (and forever after that!!) Have loved reading peoples comments so far.
            New life started on 1st May 2014, One day at a time I will work at continuing it forever!

Comment

Sober Mayites- Assemble!

Way to go, DD!! So happy you're here and more than two weeks sober. Keep it up.

This is a slow but meaningful thread - hang out for a while.

Hope all you other May people are safe, sober and snug.

xo
              Pav

Comment

Sober Mayites- Assemble!

Hi Darkest Diamond, so good to see that you are on an AF path.

Been really busy trying up loose ends with my consulting gig. Should have more free time soon!
                Free at Last

Comment

Sober Mayites- Assemble!

Good morning all! Pav, Free, good to hear from you, and glad you're here, DD. We're past the halfway mark of May, you guys. RAAAWK

Comment

Sober Mayites- Assemble!

To have a thread like this that you can feel like you are a "part" of is pretty awesome. Seems like we all have a few common goals in "common". First and foremost, attempting and enjoying at least one day free of alcohol. May continues to be a great month for me.

Comment

Sober Mayites- Assemble!

Spirit, that is really awesome that you are having a great May. Glad to hear it! I am too. It's had its challenges but when I look at the big picture things are mostly pretty sweet. Yep, life would be much harder if I was still drinking.

I'm off today to do a 2-day training workshop thing with a nationally-recognized trainer! An MMA/BJJ trainer in his 60's who's gonna teach me about breathing, mobility, training, etc. Can't wait, I'm so happy he just happens to be teaching in my city this weekend!

Comment

Sober Mayites- Assemble!

Hi, Mayites:

Happy for your wonderful May, Spirit. Happy to be on this journey with such a thoughtful and reflective person.

Skull - those weekend plans sound amazing. Cool that your guru happened upon your city. Hope you had a great time.

BK!? Where are you? I know you've posted in the Newbies Nest countdown - hope you're feeling great.

Free - Did I read that you're planning to retire? Or just get out of your current job?

I can't believe it is May 18 already - this year is flying by.

I went to a dinner last night and had fun with a bunch of drinkers. Most (all?) are moderate drinkers and I really felt no pang of regret. Phew.

xo
                        Pav

Comment

Sober Mayites- Assemble!

Hi all,
                          Yes, I am retiring come June. Heading off for a four month road trip that will involve lots of hiking, a two month backpacking trip, reading, yoga, and meditation. It's been a long two years and I am so ready.

Skull, your training session sounds great and congrats on the huge number of AF days.

Happy AF weekend everyone.
                          Free at Last

Comment

Sober Mayites- Assemble!

Hi everyone, happy Monday!

This weekend was crazy by my standards... 7 hours of training in strength/conditioning/mobility etc on Saturday, then not one but TWO social engagements after. House birthday party and then drinks/dessert with other friends. Then ANOTHER 7 hours of training on Sunday. Wow was it an active weekend.

This must be what normies feel like. Socializing but keeping healthy at the same time. After training, I was too tired/happy to be anxious about socializing so much, especially AF. So just drinking sparkling water was enough. I did get one question about, "did you quit drinking?" and I just said yep at this point in my life it's not for me. I actually had a really lovely time at the party and the other place too. It was nice. ANd I had enough energy and discipline to attend the two days of training, so that was a first... I would never have been able to attend those let alone parties on top of it during my drinking days.

Ironic that without alcohol I can socialize MORE, not less. I never would have believed it.

Hope everyone's well, have a great sober week

Comment

Sober Mayites- Assemble!

Pavati;1662339 wrote: Hi, Mayites:

I went to a dinner last night and had fun with a bunch of drinkers. Most (all?) are moderate drinkers and I really felt no pang of regret. Phew.

Pav -I never really knew that were moderate drinkers until I stopped drinking and watching others drink -moderately. (lol-but true)

xo
                              Pav
                              free at last;1662341 wrote: Hi all,
                              Yes, I am retiring come June. Heading off for a four month road trip that will involve lots of hiking, a two month backpacking trip, reading, yoga, and meditation. It's been a long two years and I am so ready.

This really sounds awesome Free??? Maybe one day (when I am 100) I can retire and do the same thing. It really does sound like an exciting venture.

Soft Focus;1662380 wrote:
                              Heya,

Just slowly working my way through the "no I'm fine with a sparkling water" conversation with various groups of friends. At least this way I can always justify dessert at the end of a meal out :-).

Just starting my third sober month which is where I fell down the last time, so keeping watchful for those danger signs.

SFx
                              I have become an expert in sparkling water creations. I need to create my own carbonated water at home.

[QUOTE=skullbabyland;1662681]Hi everyone, happy Monday!

This weekend was crazy by my standards... 7 hours of training in strength/conditioning/mobility etc on Saturday, then not one but TWO social engagements after. House birthday party and then drinks/dessert with other friends. Then ANOTHER 7 hours of training on Sunday. Wow was it an active weekend.

This must be what normies feel like. So just drinking sparkling water was enough. I did get one question about, "did you quit drinking?" and I just said yep at this point in my life it's not for me. I actually had a really lovely time at the party and the other place too. It was nice. ANd I had enough energy and discipline to attend the two days of training, so that was a first... I would never have been able to attend those let alone parties on top of it during my drinking days.

Ironic that without alcohol I can socialize MORE, not less. I never would have believed it.
                              QUOTE]

You know Skull, for me, it just feels damn good to know that I did not drink after all is said and done. I relate to everything you have just said (and to many other "Skull" truisms). For me, it just not seem that the alcohol "in the mind" battle is never really over, but it is over if I will just allow it to be.

It is great to read the posts by others on this May thread.

Comment

Sober Mayites- Assemble!

I'm here I'm here... Hangin tuff..

Been enjoying my AF days more and more. It's nice to be back in saddle.

Comment

Working...
                                X