Saw a guy DIE in detox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw a guy DIE in detox

Ok MWOers. I'll admit why I've been gone. I relapsed. Badly. I'll spare everyone the details of how and why I relapsed, but suffice it to say it involved alcohol and a lost vehicle in downtown Tampa. I can tell the full story in another thread if anyone is dying to hear it. My long-suffering wife (though we will probably soon get divorced anyway) said enough was finally enough (it was a Monday and I was way to wasted to go to work) and took me to the detox unit at Shands Vista (the psychological unit of Shands Hospital - the University of Florida teaching hospital in Gainesville).

The second day I was there, a new arrival came in. He seemed fine. He was active and participating in group activities. He was a successful businessman with a 12 and 9 year old, but he drank a handle of Grey Goose about every two days. He laid down to take a nap before dinner and he had a fatal seizure. We all saw it happen. He was dead before he left the detox ward.

The moral of the story: DON'T DETOX AT HOME. Clearly, it's dangerous enough in a hospital. I think of all the times I thought "eh, I'll just sleep it off in a day," makes my heart race. Alcohol detox is dangerous. I'm not an emotional type, but I can't help but to cry when I think of this poor man's children.

DON'T DETOX AT HOME

I am at detoxed and am at home for a few days tying up loose ends (mostly work related), but will be returning for an obviously needed 30 day stay at "Club Vista."
    In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Saw a guy DIE in detox

Alky-

Hope you are doing ok friend... I feel funny saying that Because of the obvious but I hope you are.

XOXO

Comment

Saw a guy DIE in detox

We are alive and tomorrow we get another chance to make ourselves into the person we want to be. For me that says I'm doing OK. Can't say in the years I worked on the psych ward I ever saw a detox die but Alky keep two things in mind. 1) You are not him and 2) You never want to be. This is real, this is now and this is the demon we fight every day. Surrender to who you are but never him. Never.
      “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
      Newbies Nest Roll Call
      Toolbox
      Cattleman Cafe

Comment

Saw a guy DIE in detox

Be safe and find your true passion. We are here for and support you no matter what.
        “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
        Newbies Nest Roll Call
        Toolbox
        Cattleman Cafe

Comment

Saw a guy DIE in detox

Alky--

Happy that you're getting the help - sorry you've had the time you just did. Good luck with your 30 day program.

Pav

Comment

Saw a guy DIE in detox

Glad you are still with us.
            No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Saw a guy DIE in detox

Alky that must be so difficult to go through. So very sad. I am glad you are here.

Comment

Saw a guy DIE in detox

Scary shit Alky,i feel horrible for the guy's family,but it is a wake-up call to how serious detox and just plain alcoholism is,i hope you're doing o.k
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Saw a guy DIE in detox

Alky, glad you're getting some help. That would have scared the life out of anyone and so very sad for his family.:l
                  Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Saw a guy DIE in detox

Very glad you're taking control back Alky...that's all you can do. Sorry to hear about the guy, but it happens all the time....good advice about not detoxing at home...I hope you have helped someone that needs to read that right now.

Glad to have you back my friend. :l
                    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Saw a guy DIE in detox

Alky,
                      Sorry you had to witness that. How very sad. I'm glad you're getting the help you need, as I know you don't want to live that life anymore. This is your rock bottom and there's only one way out and it's "up." Sending you positive thoughts and hope you gain lots in your time away.
                      Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Saw a guy DIE in detox

That is very scary! I'm sorry you had to see that , What is a "handle" ?

the whole dont detox at home warning is very scary too, it makes me want to run for my wine bottle , because if i dont i might have a siezure and die

Comment

Saw a guy DIE in detox

I may be wrong on this, but I think they call those HUGE bottles of alcohol a handle...they actually have a handle on the side.
                          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Saw a guy DIE in detox

Home Detox vs. Medical Detox

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but having done numerous home detoxes over the years (I can't even begin to imagine how many they would be), and having done a medical detox, I wanted to compile a list of the ways medical detoxes are so far superior (in addition to the obvious safety issues). I'm posting this for the benefit of potential home detoxers who might see this and just consider "riding it out."

1. Food & Water
                            I couldn't keep water down on day 1 of a home detox. Medical detox has drugs that alleviates the nausea enough to the point where even marginal hospital food looks and smells good. Plus there was (at least) at mine a cart of nutritious snacks like Special K and Nutrigrain bars that came out on the hour, complete with an assortment of fruit juices. Your body is given the nutrients to heal in medical detox. It is not in home detox.

2. Sleep
                            My sleep patterns typically went something like this during a home detox: up until about 1, sleep for 1-2 hours. Unable to sleep for 3-4 hours, then sleep for 4-6 hours (I've even slept as late as 9 hours, waking up at 4pm). It's not pleasant. Medical detox has medications that make sure your proper sleep schedule is reset right away so you go to sleep and are ready to participate in the following day's activities.

3. Solitude
                            I do nothing during a home detox. Perhaps occasionally play on the iPhone, but don't use the computer, don't watch TV nothing. I just lay on the couch with my eyes closed waiting for sleep that never comes. You are kept preoccupied constantly at medical detox with group activities, plus you meet some pretty interesting characters that encompass all of the following types: :nuts: Plus they enforce personal hygiene, something that falls by the wayside during home detox.

4. Safety
                            This one should come as a no brainer, but on my last home detox, I was about 36 hours in, and I had those weird waves of alternating euphoria and anxiety that Dr. Ameisen describes as preceding a seizure in his book. I hadn't had any hallucinations prior (which is pretty much a sure bet that you will have a seizure), but nonetheless it was terrifying to lay there knowing you had a 50/50 chance of having a seizure. It was like having the grim reaper in the room with you deciding whether or not to touch you with his bony finger, then pulling it away at the last minute. No exaggeration.

HOME DETOX AT YOUR OWN PERIL. I'm also going to post this as its own thread in Need Help Now.
                            In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Saw a guy DIE in detox

Thank you for sharing Alky - sorry for what you are going thru, but of a wake up call for sure...
                              “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Working...
                              X