New beginnings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New beginnings...

Hi everyone it's me again back with yet another new start and I am determined that this one is going to be THE one!!!

I have been very half-arsed about quitting for the last year, deciding one minute to give up and then convincing myself it's ok to carry on for a bit longer and I have slipped dangerously back into drinking between one and two bottles a night which I know is really really not good! A few factors have brought me back to the decision that the time is NOW ...

1. My health

2. My mental well being, more and more I find myself feeling unable to cope and depressed when I should be so happy with the life I lead :upset:

3.. It will be the 20th anniversary of my dad's suicide in september and I have drunk heavily since that day (excluding a year during pregnancy and breastfeeding)

4. The amount of money I waste on alcohol each month - around ?300 :shocked:

I have been reading how vitamins can help with cravings so i have bought a strong B multi Vitamin, vit c and some l glutamine which I started yesterday and I have stocked up on things I like to eat and lots of non-al drinks.

We are sorting out our spare room and making it into a hobby/ relaxation room and i have many many crochet projects I want to start so hopefully a change in my nightly routine of sitting in front of the tv will help!

So in conclusion I am on day one again and looking to you lovely people for the neverending support you always offer
    Taking it ODAT

New beginnings...

Sounds like you are off at a good start & have every reason to hang in there. Supplements help me a lot. I am taking st johns wart, L Glut, milk thistle, super B complex, & evening primrose. I did begin w the starter pack at the healthstore here. The hypono cds help a lot too.
    My advice: do not run out & figure out what works for you. I also take the all in one vitamin powder in the morning. I found it all very annoying in the beginning. After a while you start to realize it is worth the trouble. Good luck today!
    (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

New beginnings...

You can do it Mauri,sounds like you really want it this time,and i agree drinking is too expensive!
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

New beginnings...

Sounds like a good plan Mauri
        Now adopt a zero tolerance policy toward AL!!!!!!!!!!!!

We can all live quite well without ever touching another drop
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

New beginnings...

Hey Mauri, so good to 'see' you! Don't worry, you will get there. This is a really good time to come back - a lot of positivity around and great numbers of AF days by all......good luck!
          IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
          Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

New beginnings...

Hi, Mauri--

Sounds like a good plan - also use MWO for support if you need. I found posting on the Roll Call kept me honest...

Save that AL money in a jar and treat yourself to some beautiful wool for your new room!

Pav

Comment

New beginnings...

Hello, I found hypnotism, HARM reduction and CBT ideas and techniques worked very well, in addition to Naltrexone

Been 3 months now of very minimal drinking without urges, and the reason is the above techniques !!

Comment

New beginnings...

Thanks everyone, I always feel so welcome here I couldn't get on earlier it said there was a database problem?

Well my first day is almost done, I poured away the only remaining al in the house this morning so I can't be tempted! AL has crossed my mind a zilliion times today which only goes to show me how mentally dependant I have become!
                Taking it ODAT

Comment

New beginnings...

guapo;1664912 wrote: Hello, I found hypnotism, HARM reduction and CBT ideas and techniques worked very well, in addition to Naltrexone

Been 3 months now of very minimal drinking without urges, and the reason is the above techniques !!
                  what is harm please?
                  Taking it ODAT

Comment

New beginnings...

Harm reduction

It means a way to reduce the harm from drinking or using any other substances inappropriately.

There's a very good website, entitled HAMS , that goes through the concepts, along with a number of good books, all of which give a little different viewpoint, but taken together give a very good outline of things a person can do to reduce the harm from drinking or stop drinking altogether.

Perhaps the best approach I discovered from all of this is to stop and wait after a drink, and then find that after 45 minutes or an hour, the desire for another drink is very reduced, or hopefully gone.

Any reduction from harm is good, and it's all a continuum, which is why it is such a good concept to embrace and utilize. Best of all, it actually WORKS !!!

Hope that helps.

Comment

New beginnings...

Thanks Guapo

Well I had a great night's sleep and feeling up for the challenges today brings! Decided to crochet every night once my son is in bed as that keeps me busy and I don't think about AL so much.

Today we are going to paint a pot at our local children's centre then going for lunch at pizza hut, I usually have a wine or cider so that will be my first challenge!
                      Taking it ODAT

Comment

New beginnings...

Hi Mauri,
                        Glad you made it back to MWO. And glad to see you in the Nest. Yes, all those reasons you posted were the reasons I came back to MWO as well. And so glad I did, because the support here is like no other I've ever experienced. Great idea to find things that will keep you busy and in place of the time you regularly drank. Welcome back!
                        Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

New beginnings...

Signing out sober on day two
                          Taking it ODAT

Comment

New beginnings...

Congrats on day two, just keep it going. Every day can be an AF celebration!
                            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

New beginnings...

I am so pleased I actually have to AF days under my belt, had a great night's sleep last night and I feel optimistic again today, didn't go to Pizza Hut yesterday, we got some sandwiches from the local deli instead so I had no temptation! Today I am taking my son out to a stately home and playpark with a friend and her daughter, I have to go to the supermarket on the way back so todays challenge will be to NOT buy wine in there!

My husband told me last night he is proud of me for managing to not drink which means a lot, although I don't think he knows how hard it actually is!! He has told me in the past he is worried for my health and that makes me feel so bad

Another factor which has contributed to my decision this time round is a conversation I had with my next door neighbour the other day, her brother in law is in hospital with liver problems, she said she didn't think he was a heavy drinker- just liked a wine or two on a night thats all and it struck a very large chord with me!!
                              Taking it ODAT

Comment

Working...
                              X