Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On your AF journey, what have you learned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i was watching the news this morning and the anchor asked the family of Ron Goldman (of OJ Simpson fame) over the past 20 years, what have you learned? What a great question to ask ourselves on our AF journey! I gave it some thought myself, and the MOST important thing I have learned is that ALCOHOL ALWAYS WINS. I could talk about ways to cope in the early days or the mindset that it takes, but when it all boils down to it, anytime there is a challenge involving AL, we lose and AL wins. Not just most of the time....EVERY time. It's not even a close contest either, I guess that's just the way addiction rolls. With that in mind, it makes it easier to accept and move forward, at least it did for me. Who in her right mind would take on an opponent where we didn't stand a chance? That is what I have learned.... How about you? Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

1. I have learned (and embraced) that AL WILL absolutely consume me - every single time I take a little dance with it.

2. I have learned (and embraced) that I'm terrified of AL, and will respect and regard it as my most feared enemy.
    It is not what we do, but how much love we put into the doing.
    Mother Theresa

Comment

I have learned that, without alcohol, I am a much happier version of me. :l
      "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
      so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."
      :hug:

Comment

I have learned that I can be confident in social situations without Al. Al never gave me confidence. It made me lonely and made me hide. I've also learned that my severe anxiety is not severe anymore. It has decreased significantly since I quit Al. I don't know if Al and Anxiety had an affair going on, but when Al left, so did Anxiety. I'm fine with that.
        Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

I've learned that I can't do this alone. I need the support and accountability that comes from the people here on MWO. I tried so many times to quit AL alone and I was never successful. Hard as I tried, I just couldn't get more than a couple of days under my belt before I failed. Once I committed to registering here, reading and posting, things began to change. I've learned so much from the members here and I'm so very grateful.

Comment

I have learned that feeling weak and ashamed about becoming addicted to alcohol perpetuates the feeling of helplessness I had when trying to quit. Understanding that while I was vulnerable to alcohol, I am not a weak person has been enlightening.

Also, that the FEAR of quitting - of leading a boring life, of explaining to friends and family, of making it through hard and fun times without my crutch, of admitting vulnerability - was nearly completely unfounded. Life is so much better in so many ways.

Wow - I could go on and on, but I'll read what others write. Cool thread, Byrdie.

Comment

I have learned that feeling weak and ashamed about becoming addicted to alcohol perpetuates the feeling of helplessness I had when trying to quit. Understanding that while I was vulnerable to alcohol, I am not a weak person has been enlightening.

Also, that the FEAR of quitting - of leading a boring life, of explaining to friends and family, of making it through hard and fun times without my crutch, of admitting vulnerability - was nearly completely unfounded. Life is so much better in so many ways.

Wow - I could go on and on, but I'll read what others write. Cool thread, Byrdie.

Comment

I've learned that sobriety takes lots of work - connecting with others with the same problem, posting to ask for help, posting to help, reading about addiction, listening to long-termers, making a plan for yourself to stay away from alcohol, and turning off the alcoholic voice that tells you that moderation is possible.
                Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Good point, J-Vo....I have learned that stopping AL takes SUPPORT! I don't see how it could be done alone (and why? when you've got a place like MWO?) It doesn't have to be harder than it is!
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

I've learned I can be truthful on a health survey when asked about alcohol intake for the first time in 30 years! In the past, I wrote 4-5 drinks a week when it was more like 4-5 drinks a day! Just a little white lie - no? Man... It felt good to be truthful!

Comment

Working...
                    X