Need a push

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a push

Byrdie, I appreciate your wisdom so much. At first, "never" was just too much to wrap my head around but after a few weeks AF, saying "never" began to make me smile because it meant I was taking back control of my life. Yesterday I walked out of the grocery store with a bag of healthy food beside a guy with only a rack of beer. I felt a deep sadness for him because I could tell that he was not a happy person. Had I been moderating, I wouldn't have noticed him at all but only his beer and would have probably turned around and bought myself some beer. Instead, I sent him some silent AF energy and continued on, knowing that "never" is the best choice for me. Peace, give it a try. We are all here for you.

Comment

Need a push

I wrote a long post and lost it. Just wanting to tell you that after 'successfully' moderating for the past few years I realized that I was living both the agony of self denial combined with the obsessive relationship with alcohol I was trying to rid myself of. So the problem was doubled when I tried to moderate. It was a lose-lose situation. Fifty days now LFP and never been happier. Please join me.

We can eat chocolate cake, laugh our heads off, have a ball with family and friends, take up hobbies, read great books, listen to or make music... we can do anything... we just can't drink.

I've discovered Chai Tea Lattes and they've become my new addiction. You put it out there LFP and you know what the answer is. We all do. Will power does not solve our drinking problem. Common sense does. It just doesn't work for us. Act on what you already know.
      xox
      "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
      Lao-Tzu

Comment

Need a push

LFP - So glad you've decided to try at least 30 days. It might not always be easy, but I am fairly sure you'll find it is well worth it. You've been putting a lot of energy into maintaining your mod, I can't see going AF taking any more energy than that!

Keep us posted and be sure to read other people's stories to help you plan for and get past the inevitable bumps in the road.
        Everything you want is on the other side of fear.

Comment

Need a push

Hi looking for peace. Boy does what you've described sound like a LOT of stress! I've been there too so I know what you are talking about. I don't know what it is about AL that makes it so hard to say I will never drink again. It becomes very clear why 'they' (we!) say to take it one day at a time, or one minute, or one hour for that matter. The fact is that not drinking at all is much easier than trying to moderate. I'm not sure why it is difficult for you to stop completely. Maybe you worry about what people will think? I have found that this is not an issue at all. once i tell my family/friends I am not drinking whenever we are out that's it, no more asking, no questions - they just simply don't care. I don't get into long explanations nor have I told them I am not drinking again EVER. I just say no thanks if someone offers me a drink. Maybe you keep doing it because you think it is giving you some sort of relief...but you know it is only adding stress to your life. As you mentioned yourself in the post that Byrdie has listed "I just realize there is absolutely no point."....this is sooo true and it is what I tell myself often too. Getting all stressed out just so you can control your drinking to have one or two? There is no point to that. It is not worth it.

Stick around I hope you decide to take this stress out of your life!

Comment

Working...
          X