Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medical Records

Who can look at our medical records?

I really don't care about mine, but I think it keeps some people from going to the Dr. and I don't think it is the position of an employer, or anyone else for that matter, to look into our personal records.

Does anyone know the facts?

Bear
    What St. Frances of Assisi said of himself is true for me.
    ?If God can work through me He can work through anybody.?

Medical Records

In the last couple of years they insitituted HIPPA which is a way to protect patient's medical records but they only cover records that were done in an electronic form, not written documents. Here is a pretty informative site for any one interested in learning more.

Medical Records Privacy
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Medical Records

the police for one, ay least ask the doctor for any relevant information

Comment

Medical Records

Ins. companies for one, which as someone else expressed, could deny, or be prejudiced againist you for "pre-existing" conditions, sometimes an employer that provides ins. could "happen" to chance upon the info....HIPPA is supposed to help alot, so if you start out today, you should be more protected, I guess the only sure fire way to not have anything possibly "exposed" would be to pay cash for the Rx's....but with like Topa, my stepdaughter does take it for migraines, so I don't know if that would raise a big red flag with anyone....the other things, naltrex. etc., I guess would.... We've had drug records supeonaed from us for various reasons....so yes, DEA, police, etc, can get them if they want them badly enough.....
        "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

Comment

Medical Records

The law protects your privacy to an extent BUT......if you are applying for a job or if you are in a position where you need a government security clearance you have to sign a disclosure agreement agreeing to have your records released so that they can have access to your records. You can, of course, refuse to sign this agreement but it can jeopardize your employment, potential employment or security clearance. In the case of HIPPA...HIPPA is designed to protect the unlawful disclosure of your private medical information without your consent. If you sign a consent form the information can be disclosed only for the purpose for which you authorize its release. Computer security is part of what I do for a living and HIPPA is a part of that so I am a bit familiar with the regulations.
          :boxer:Failure is NOT an option! :boxer:

Comment

Medical Records

OH BEAR...you hit right up my alley honey...I have been in the Health Information Management field since I was 18 and I am 35 now...have all my degrees in this field as well...NO ONE can look at your medical information ACCEPT YOU and the physician that was on your case UNLESS you give written consent that is notarized. An employeer can not look at your medical information legally. I say LEGALLY for a reason...like anything else...laws are broken....many hands touch your information daily and it is relatively easy for a patients information to be stolen if someone really wanted it bad enough...and knew how to work the system...sad but true. You think "who would want it"...ex-spouse , ex-lover, etc...trying to get the goods on you...you'd be surprised...hope that answered your question.

Comment

Medical Records

Insurance is the biggie for me. I don't want it on my medical records, and therefore my insurance. Once you go for something that can tagged as chronic or long term(as alcohol abuse tends to be) you can be denied new insurance, either life or health. It is possible we will be changing health insurance in the next year, and my life insurance needs to be renewed next year. Can't afford t have a blemish on the record.
              Life itself is the proper binge. Julia Child

Comment

Medical Records

Concerns regarding security clearances and background checks for employment or state / federal certifications. Even to purchase a firearm one of the questions on the mandatory federal form is "Are you ... addicted to any ... controlled substance?" In some states they require you to sign that you allow them to look into your medical history.

Most hospitals seem to take HIPPA seriously, in my experience.

Dx
                * * I love Determinator * *

Comment

Medical Records

Thanks for all the replies. I know HIPAA is a big concern at work, since we are self insured. The company is concerned it will be sued if any information is compromised. I can see how that would be a concern. I wonder what kind of background check is done. I am sure the DWI's will show up, and that in itself is enough to cause problems in a lot of ways. I am sure Tex is right about the federal government being able to get whatever they really want; but there are ways to request that information remain confidential. Lushy that is a good website for information. It says "To be especially certain of confidentiality, you may need to see a different physician altogether and pay the bill yourself, forgoing reimbursement from the insurance company. Realize that under HIPAA, your attempts to restrict the sharing of specific records can be denied by the health care provider." In other words be sneaky underhanded and lie if necessary. I think that is a poor way to have to conduct yourself in order to see a Dr. about a problem which is a social taboo.
                  Bear
                  What St. Frances of Assisi said of himself is true for me.
                  ?If God can work through me He can work through anybody.?

Comment

Working...
                  X