Choices, Reasons and Excuses.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recently I had a PM from a member and in my reply I mentioned something about choices, reasons and excuses.. That set me thinking about things and I would like to share those thoughts with you..

We all make choices, big and small?. On the world stage George Bush and Tony Blair have had to make some very big choices, but, this is not the place to debate those choices? Bringing it down to ground level, our choices are not so big compared to those, starting with the smallest ones such as what colour of toilet paper to buy, white or pink? And going on to the bigger ones like, should we get married, move house, change jobs?
    We don?t make these choices without thinking about them.. Even small things like deciding the colour of the toilet paper, the brain is computing perhaps thousands of impulses per second as our hand reaches out to take the paper off the supermarket shelf..

Now we come to the choices connected with drinking.. I think for people who don?t have a problem with alcohol the choice as to whether or not to have a drink is about as important to them as choosing the colour of their toilet paper? There is no guilt or anger felt whilst making this choice, they don?t feel as if they are breaking a promise or letting themselves or others down, they don?t spend an hour or even longer arguing in their mind, will I / won?t I, they don?t have to fool themselves into believing that all they will have is just one drink and they will stop after that? They probably don?t even break into a cold sweat at the thought of never drinking again?

Then there are people like us, people for whom alcohol is a problem, an addiction.. So when presented with a choice as to whether or not to have a drink, how can we make a rational one ?? In deciding, our brains are bombarded with thoughts and feelings, and the outcome of our choice can be even more important for us then any of the big choices we make in our lives?

So many times over the years I have stood on the line, desperately craving a drink, trying to make the right choice, finally making it, only it was always the wrong one, but, I always had my reasons for that choice, my reasons for drinking.. At least that is what I told myself.. Some of those reasons stretched right back as far as my childhood, and some of them were as fresh as yesterday.. They were MY reasons for drinking and as such were important to me, or so I thought at the time?

Over the last eight months I have been doing a lot of work on myself to try and eradicate all the reasons for my drinking.. At times it has been very painful but theraputic as well because you get to know yourself better and it sets you free..

The major thing though which I realised was this, during all the years of my drinking I didn?t have one single reason to drink, not one.. What I did have in plenty however were EXCUSES.. That?s all they were, my bad childhood, a father who kept leaving home, a suicide attempt at the age of thirteen, low self esteem, no confidence, an unhappy marriage, they were my excuses, my justification for drinking.. They covered up the truth which I couldn?t face, and that was simply my addiction to alcohol..
    Once I realised that, it made it easier to stop..

To bring this full circle, when I get a craving now and I have to make that all important choice will I / won?t I, it makes it so much easier to make the right one because I have no more excuses left..

The dictionary defines the words REASON and EXCUSE as the following,
    REASON
    A rational motive for a belief or action
    The capacity for rational thought
    The state of having good sense and sound judgement

EXCUSE
    A defense of some offensive behaviour
    A poor example

So, what makes you drink?? Do you have reasons, or are you like I used to be and you just have excuses.. Be honest with yourself when you answer because it just may help you to beat this addiction..

Take good care of yourselves,

Love from Louise xxx
    A F F L..
    Alcohol Free For Life

I do believe you have explained it, I for one do believe I drank because I was being verbally abused and it was easier to just drink and that way it took the pain of it all away, but after time the drinking started taking its toll. Now that I have cleared my head out pretty good since Dec. and now its almost the beginning of June I see the choice. I made the choice to drink to forget instead of standing on two feet and making thing different for me. Now that the denial is gone I can tell you that my life will take another change for the better.

Sammys

Comment

Thanks for posting that Louise. I too just had excuses, I would even look for ones throughout the day if I thought the one I already came up with was not good enough. I have been af for a whilw now, and I have the same problems I had before, except i deal with them with much less stress now, because the dirnking didnt make the problem go away, it just extended out what I would do about the problem another 8 0r 12 hours. I also feel a lot better. I loved your post, really puts things into perspective.
      It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
      James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Hi Louise, loved your post. I too had many reasons/excuses, but like you i've
        started to recognise them. My childhood was horrendous, but lots of others
        have had that and not used it as an excuse. I've been af now for 3 whole months
        and mostly it has been hard work on my part, but also due to lots of people like
        you to whom I will be eternally grateful. Paula

Comment

That was my favorite post of yours yet Louise.

I had/have plenty of reasons to drink, or so I thought. I now know that every last one of them was an excuse I used to not work on this problem of mine. It was always easier to give in to my excuse.

Next time a "reason" pops into my head I will recognize it for what it is. Simply an excuse. Thanks for writing that.
          I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

You are definitely right Louise. I find many excuses. Right now my excuse is that I'm going thru a painful breakup. That's no excuse though. I drank excessively before I ever knew him, after a bad day, even after a good day, to "celebrate". Drinking certainly isn't helping my self-esteem in the morning. I hope I can get to a point soon where I don't use this heartache as an excuse, because that's all it is. I've always used alcohol to "numb the pain" and I guess everything else. I ordered the supps and they came in today. Hopefully, I will be back on track soon. Thanks for posting.

Comment

I just feel the need to post because lifes been crazy the past week and I haven't been able to read and write on here as I usually do. You all give me great hope and I have learned so much from reading on here. I am very happy w/ my successes after a short amount of time, but from continuing to read, I know that if I use that as an excuse to become lazy and not conscientious of my drinking (working on moderation) that I will be right back where I started. Yesterday was the first day that as I went to bed I thought, "I can't believe I always had to be buzzed/drunk just to sleep" It was late (I find a side effect of not drinking is I've become a night owl during the week) but still felt so good to go to bed completely sober. Tonite I had my girls over and drank a bit. Did pretty well but still felt like I drank too much. Moderation is trial and error. Getting ready to go to bed shortly but just wanted to say hi and I am still very much active at MWO.
              Gita
              "Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced"

:new:

Comment

What a wonderful post. Why are you only the fifth most beautiful member. Maybe it's because of that highly unattractive melon on your head.
                I want to thank you so much for the words of wisdom. I learned so much from reading it. And yes, I have been full of excuses for years. Just bad explanations for bad behavior. It is time that I take responsibility. Thank you so much.
                Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Now, now Mags. First of all that is a lime helmet, not a melon. Second, she is the fifth most beautiful member because I said so!
                  I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Thanks for your terrific and thought provoking post, Louise!
                    AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Louise,
                      I just loved this. Really hit home. Thanks so much.
                      T.
                      Mama T.
                      Found MWO Feb. 17, 2007

Comment

Excellent Louise..So true...and yet so simple...but then the truth always is simple..right

Comment

Louise, thank you for making a distinction between 'choice' and 'excuse'.
                          I have spent hours upon hours wracking my brain trying to understand what is so fricking hard about making one choice over another?? I can choose to exercise or not. I can choose to drink or choose not to drink. It seem so simple in theory - there's this and that - choose the one that is better for me. Why do I always, then, choose the one that brings me harm, heartache, ill-health, self-hatred, etc.

I'm going to sit and think long and hard about what you've written. I think your words may be a key to some understanding that is vital for me to get.
                          Hugs,
                          imatree

Comment

Dear Louise,

Once again, quite the elequent post. Thanks!

I do believe you should take up writing. You should have The Communicator Award!

I looked and found excuses, the same for quitting smoking so now that it is no longer excuse time, reasoning has won out and drinking days are fewer and farther between. I am on day 151? of quitting smoking also!

Love you,
                            Mary

Comment

Hmm, yes... the distinction between 'reasons' and excuses.

I think the reason i started drinking regularly in the first place was loneliness. The drinking would hold it at bay for another day. Then the reason became, i needed it to avoid withdrawal - that sick feeling.

My excuses have been as follows (but i still need to think this over, there is a lot in this post):

-Why not? I haven't had a drink for a day, i am not an alcoholic, it can't be that bad for my health.
                              -Who cares, i am going to die one day and i might as well have fun while i am here
                              -It's better than going out
                              -It's cheaper than going out
                              -I deserve it

Wow, that hurts.
                              One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

Working...
                              X