How do I tell the one I love?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, fairly new here, I posted this in the newbie nest as part of another thread I had started....., I'm throwing this question out there to see if I can learn from your experiences. A little background, I have been a problem drinker most of my life I have had some terrible experiences whilst under the influence of AL to the excess of blacking out. For the past 3 years I thought I had it under control, this time coincided with meeting my wonderful husband, then on Saturday I blacked out for the 3rd time this year, it has made me realise that I am only one more black out from doing something I can't take back - like the 'good old days'- potentially losing my family. So I have booked in to see a councillor for some support for the first time and I'm on here reading and posting, trying to figure out what my future holds. My husband has no idea how much I change when I drink to the excess of blacking out, I have tried to tell him before but he is so nice he just sees that I don't routinely drink as much as other people we know. Should I tell him all about my past incidents before I met him? How did you tell the one you love you have a problem with AL?
    Thank you

Daisy my advice for what its worth is to have some af days under your belt before you tell hubs about your past. You need to get you back before you beat yourself up even more. We cannot change the past, i know i would love to but the future is what you need to look forward to. I told my children i was stopping drinking as i had had enough. I did not tell them why at first and now i tell them more since i am sober and they realise that i am not going to drink again. At first they just thought "yes mum you are not going to drink but for how long this time". Only as time has gone on have i told them the full extent of my problem and that i am an alcoholic. one day at a time is all we can do. Ultimately it is up to you what you feel comfortable with telling him. The blackouts were a major reason to why i stopped drinking.
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Available,thank you for your advice here and the Newbie nest. I think you are right, we are both at the start of a health kick so I have some time to figure this out for me first, Very wise words about looking to the future I'll try to focus on the things I can change

Comment

Working...
      X