Sharing What is Working For Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After over a decade of heavy alcohol abuse, resulting in what I consider my "lost decade of life," I am now gratefully, beautifully SOBER! Although I've not been a regular user on this site for some time, I feel compelled to share what has worked for me.

First, let me start by saying that I am not suggesting that my cure is not for everyone ---- not by a long shot. It addressed my physiological imbalances, resulting in a shockingly easy cure.

In short, my new life began with a visit to a new PCP. I wanted to give one last try to a new doctor and humble myself one more time with admitting that alcohol was a huge problem for me. Praise be that my new PCP was also a psychopharmacologist (which I wasn't familiar with) and was quite confident that she could "fix" it, and promised me that if I did what she said, I would feel 15 years younger in 18 months. I left her office hopeful for the first time in year. And here's the thing: 8 months later, I feel better than I have in years and years. I HAVE MY LIFE BACK!

I really hate to attribute my success to the power of prescription drugs, but......my success has been due to the power of prescription drugs. Period. As I said, it won't work for everyone (although my doctor would most likely disagree), as everyone certainly does not share my specific brain areas of over-activity and under-activity. But the combination of antidepressants, anti-seizure meds, and vitamins that she prescribed was effective almost immediately.

I now can even keep a bottle of my formerly "best friend" in the house and not even think about it! A few times I have made myself a drink, and end up pouring most of it down the sink. I used to be the person that would guzzle my very, very stiff drinks, and then gulp from others' drinks when they weren't looking. Yep, that was the old me. A little more about the old me: extremely depressed with suicidal tendencies; drunken, slutty behavior when on out-of-town trips; ruined relationships with family and friends due to alcoholic behaviors; dumpster diving once to retrieve a half-empty bottle that I had thrown out that morning in one of my many "I hate alcohol...I can't do this anymore" moments, etc.

I once could not imagine life without alcohol. I felt damned if I did and damned if I didn't. Now.....I am happy again. I can enjoy simple things in life. I am the world's best grandma to two 2.5 year old girls and one 18 month old boy. I am attractive again (if I do say so myself), have energy, and do NOT have hangovers, cravings, shame to the point of not wanting to live.......

Here's what my doc did: had me supplement my diet with B and D vitamins, doubled the dose of sertraline I was on; started me on lamictal, wellbutrin, and trazadone for sleep. (She is a firm believer that the majority of our health issues come from lack of quality sleep.) I hate taking that much medication, but I hate being an alcoholic even more. Of course, the meds do have side effects. I became very, very sleepy all the time, so doc switched sertraline to Cymbalta. Ongoing side effects are serious constipation and memory loss to the extreme it is almost comical. At work, I swivel my chair to get something, and I have forgotten what it was----in the span of time it takes me to swivel my chair! But I can live with that; I would not live long with alcohol. I know that if I just wait a minute or swivel back to the other side of my desk, it will return to me. I'm not as quick as I was, but I'm still competent. To me, the side effects of the meds sooooo outweigh the benefits.

Yes, a sober life is wonderful! I am grateful every day for the chance to recapture my life and have an opportunity to live each day to the fullest. I try not to focus on the lost decade, but rather thankfully embrace the fact that I am no longer in that place. Gratitude, gratitude, gratitude for my new life!!!

I am very happy for you that your medication along with your dedication is working for you. Our brains are complicated things and alcohol sure can screw things up royally. Life is great sober, isn't it!
    "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    Lao-Tzu

Comment

Sami,
      Whatever works for you is right! What a great post of how sobriety can turn someone's life around! Thank you!
      Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Hi Sami, I think modern medicine rightfully has a place in the recovery process in the 21st century. I believe the wisdom of Alcoholics and Narcotics Anonymous is timeless, but as my psychiatrist put it, "We don't treat asthma like we did in 1930s, why should we treat alcoholism that way?" In fact, I joined MWO after being kicked off another forum which shall remain unnamed (cough…soberrecovery.com…cough, cough, cough…) for trying to discuss medication. I'm on the anti-craving medications baclofen and acamprosate (Campral) and buspirone (Buspar) for the anxiety and panic attacks that caused me to drink in the first place and trazodone as needed for sleep. I was also put on the B and D vitamins as well. As grateful as I am to the medications, though, for me, my individual and group therapy also deserves equal credit. Best wishes for your sobriety!
        In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Sami, more and more I'm coming to agree with your doctor's belief that the quality of our sleep determines much--if not most--of our wellbeing on a day to day basis. I just wish more g.p.'s had the interest and willingness to pursue a psychopharmacological approach to AL and other substance issues. Most seem to give the same-ole, same-ole, "join AA" prescription.... Eventually it'll change, I think, but we've a long way to go.
          Resisting all Magical Thinking...one day at a time

Comment

RedJib;1687219 wrote: I just wish more g.p.'s had the interest and willingness to pursue a psychopharmacological approach to AL and other substance issues. Most seem to give the same-ole, same-ole, "join AA" prescription….
            I'm just curious to know how many doctors have given you the "same-ole join AA prescription?" I think this was the case 10-15 years ago, but even the least knowledgeable GPs (regarding addiction) I've seen in the past 4-5 years have at least offered prescriptions for Antabuse, naltrexone or Campral. And no psychiatrist would ever just offer AA as a sole solution.

RedJib wrote:
            sleep determines much--if not most--of our wellbeing on a day to day basis
            The connection between sleep problems and psychiatric disorders is well documented.
            In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Hi Sami. Congrats on your sober life, and thanks for your post. It really made me think. This is the second post I have read in the last few days that has recommended a combination of prescription meds and vitamin supplementation to achieve lasting sobriety.

I have worked half of this program - lots of healthy foods, supps, herbs, etc. And as Alky recommends, I've done tons of counseling. But for some reason my alcoholic brain recoils at taking the meds. Rather silly if I think about it rationally, since I willingly poor poison into my body. At this point, I think I have a lot more to lose by not trying them.

I recently lost my footing, and after a very long stretch AF, I managed to FORCE myself to start drinking again. It wasn't fun or pleasant. I literally got sick the first night. My body now rejects AL for the poison that it is. But I was persistent, and I have been very sick ever since. I think that in order to do something that dumb, my brain chemistry must be out of whack and it's time to fix it.

I'm sorry to make this about my struggle, but you have inspired me. I'm with you - I'll take some memory issues over the hangovers, self-loathing and anxiety. Tomorrow, I dump my GP (Another same ole join AA type) and find a new doctor that will work with me to find the right combo.

Thank you so much. I feel hopeful again.
              Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

I agree with sleep being important however like MossRose medication to achieve that sleep isn't part of my recovery. I know I'd get reliant and probably feel a hangover from them (I don't mean a booze hangover I mean just groggy in the morning).
                At various points during my drinking I took various pills to do various things including anti-depressants. I just don't want to be taking a bunch of pills to alter how I feel any more.

At the moment I am sleeping more than ever but I'm a long way down the line of sobriety. I do remember that first difficult 10 days - 2 weeks and not being able to sleep often thwarted previous attempts at recovery.

If it's working for you then keep on and big well done.
                I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

MossRose;1687384 wrote: Hi Sami. Congrats on your sober life, and thanks for your post. It really made me think. This is the second post I have read in the last few days that has recommended a combination of prescription meds and vitamin supplementation to achieve lasting sobriety.

I have worked half of this program - lots of healthy foods, supps, herbs, etc. And as Alky recommends, I've done tons of counseling. But for some reason my alcoholic brain recoils at taking the meds. Rather silly if I think about it rationally, since I willingly poor poison into my body. At this point, I think I have a lot more to lose by not trying them.

I recently lost my footing, and after a very long stretch AF, I managed to FORCE myself to start drinking again. It wasn't fun or pleasant. I literally got sick the first night. My body now rejects AL for the poison that it is. But I was persistent, and I have been very sick ever since. I think that in order to do something that dumb, my brain chemistry must be out of whack and it's time to fix it.

I'm sorry to make this about my struggle, but you have inspired me. I'm with you - I'll take some memory issues over the hangovers, self-loathing and anxiety. Tomorrow, I dump my GP (Another same ole join AA type) and find a new doctor that will work with me to find the right combo.

Thank you so much. I feel hopeful again.
                  Thanks for this it's reinforced why I shouldn't drink after my long AF spell, one of the fears is how ill I'd probably be even after one drinking session!
                  I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

vo[/B] and SoberSoul, Thanks for the kind words and encouragements. I am forever grateful for this incredible community!

[B]MossRose, I'm so very glad that you feel hopeful again. Isn't hope the most wonderful feeling in the world ----- especially after the dark, seemingly endless places that alcohol draws us into! And glad that you are searching for a new GP. Please, don't ever, every give up! If this new GP doesn't work, please keep searching for one that will help you find the solution that works for you. I understand the irony that keeps us pouring poison into our bodies at the same time we are taking supplements and eating healthy, organic foods. But that's the logic of the alcoholic brain.

Alky, I can't believe that you were kicked off another forum for wanting to discuss a potential cure. What a horrible experience! Sounds as though you have found the combination that is working for you. I know that my healing would progress further (and deeper) if I added therapy. Regarding your question about doctors recommending AA, my experiences reflect RedJib
                    's thoughts. Perhaps it's geographical, coincidental, or something else, but my current doctor is the first one who ever aggressively addressed my alcoholism and did not recommend AA. The others, well-meaning all (except one judgmental and condescending person who will forever give me shudders to think of), would listen to my awkward explanations of research involving the specific medication I was seeking at the time, write me the prescription or not, and gently suggest AA. That's it. Granted, they were medical doctors --- not psychiatrists. But none of them offered anything other than AA.

RedJib and YouKayBe[/b], regarding sleep.....for years I thought I was sleeping deeply. I wasn't making the distinction between passing out and sleeping! Didn't realize how my brain had been suffering from years of this faux sleep, along with the abuse from alcohol itself. I guess you forget how to fall asleep naturally, without the benefit of a drug ---liquid or pill form. YouKayBe, I have been fortunate in that Trazodone has not had significant side effects for me. It seems to me that the ideal, of course, is to enjoy a sound, restorative sleep without medications. The ideal, of course, is to be physically and emotionally healthy without medications. Just turns out that hasn't been the case for me. I kinda see the medications as a crutch. But when you're disabled---either temporarily or permanently --- you need a crutch. And oh, how I can run when I have my crutch!!!

Comment

Sami, something you eluded to in your original post was being honest with your doctor.

For me, that has been the difficult part... I didn't want to say out loud how much I truly drank, because I didn't want the doctor to then tell me that I have a medical problem.. and have it "documented" as a condition.

I think some of the people on this forum that work in the medical industry mention they have a rule of thumb to "double or triple" whatever the patient admits to... so if the patient says they only drink 2 drinks a night, they will assume it's 4 or 6 drinks... I find that interesting.

I do want to caution people about drinking and taking anti-depressants. In short, I lied to my doctor about my alcohol use and she prescribed Cymbalta for me. She didn't stress how Cymbalta affects the brain when it's mixed with alcohol... and hey, on the TV commercial, everything seemed happier, right? I mean, the commercial said, "talk to your doctor about alcohol use", but every commercial says that.

What I didn't understand was that when I would drink, the Cymbalta was numbing my nerve endings, and so I was not feeling a "buzz"... and since there was no feeling of "buzz", I could drink more. And not feel hungover. I would drink and drive, because I didn't feel drunk. It was only after I was totally obnoxious with some friends that they confronted me the next morning, that I realized that something was possibly off (I was able to drink with the men- one for one!)...

That was my experience that I was horrified to share with my doctor.

I do have a new doctor now, where I've been able to be more forthright. He knows about my drinking and gave me good, solid advice. I do feel like he has my interests in mind and I trust his judgement.

Patty
                      "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
                      so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."
                      :hug:

Comment

Working...
                      X