July 2014 RJ Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

July 2014 RJ Update

Hello everyone, and thanks for the helpful feedback in the recent post. I appreciate it very much.

This message is quite long and includes a lot of history, but it may help clarify some things. I admit I have not been very good about communicating, and I’m sorry for the confusion and frustration it’s caused. Here’s an overview to bring you up to date:

* Technical Issues
    We are slogging through the technical issues that have created so many problems in the forum. I am awaiting word from someone who is awaiting word from someone else and I’m sorry to say at this point, it’s taking more time than we’d like. Believe it or not, we are doing our best to get our tech problems resolved so we can move forward with our new marketing efforts

* Subscriptions
    Paid subscriptions have been very helpful in supporting the site, and I remain deeply grateful to those who have contributed. I am sorry to see many others cancelling, but I do understand. We had a large number of Subscribers sign up in the early days. However, a few years ago, after an attempt to upgrade and improve the site, we found ourselves with an inexplicable technical issue related to the subscription module. Many of the early Subscribers' payments stopped being processed, even though it appeared otherwise. Some of you old-timers will remember that horribly disruptive period back then; the upgrade was a nightmare and very protracted. And as dedicated as I was to the forum, I became less involved with the site and more involved in other matters (I got a divorce, started a new business, got remarried, added a gaggle of stepkids). So in addition to technical problems with the Subscriber service, I also felt badly about offering less attention when I had offered my involvement as a perk. Until recently, we accepted new Subscribers, but I eventually removed the link, hoping those who were still paying would continue to help us out while we developed other revenue sources. Today the subscriptions bring in around $250 per month. Clearly, we need much more than that to support the site, and that’s why we’re working on other revenue options.

* Donations

Some of you will remember that we added a “Donate” button to the forum years ago, but after several months, we had raised less than $300. As I recall, PayPal was less ubiquitous back then and not so user friendly. I removed the link after our efforts to raise funds fell through. Recently, there was renewed interest in providing a donation link, so in April of this year I again added a PayPal account and in a message I said we were in need of support and were not too proud to ask for donations. It wasn’t an aggressive drive, but I figured it provided an opportunity for those who had expressed an interest in contributing. I didn’t see any donations come in, so deposited $10 myself, just to make sure it was working. Fast forward three months later: our balance is $9.60, which reflects my ten bucks less PayPal’s 4% fee! So the donation idea, while it sounds good, has not been terribly effective.

* E-store

The E-store with which we are affiliated is no longer profitable and, sadly, we’ll need to close it down when the remaining inventory is sold. The wholesale prices of nutritional supplements from our private label vendor has increased dramatically over the years, while other—often similarly high quality—supplements have become extraordinarily competitive. We’ve always encouraged our customers to find the best quality and price, but unfortunately because we are a very small operation it’s become more difficult for us to compete. Meanwhile, our software platform, hosting service, facility fees and other related e-store expenses have risen, as sales have declined. Again, I know much of this is due to my limited marketing efforts of late, and the lack of few new products we’ve introduced. Our goal now is to pay off the debt we have incurred in keeping the e-store online.

* Marketing
    In the early days, I did a tremendous amount of marketing: I issued press releases, did radio interviews, and launched affiliate programs. We opened up shop soon after Google introduced Adwords, which served as a very effective online marketing tool. By that time, we’d attracted thousands of visitors to our website, who learned about our program and found fellowship in our forum. Before long, however, Adwords became extremely competitive (for advertisers) and impossibly expensive. At one point we could no longer afford to include some of the very ‘key words’ we had created, such as “My Way Out” or “Topamax for alcohol craving.” They had become very popular—and expensive. With Adwords you pay more for desirable search terms, so in a way, we created our own monster!

Effective Adword campaigns that once cost a few hundred dollars per month now run ten times as much. It is an expense we can no longer afford. Unfortunately, it also has meant a reduced customer base, and ultimately, inadequate revenue. One thing that has remained strong however, is the volume of traffic to and interest in our site, which is corroborated by our recent surveys. Some of you are new, many are long-time friends, and most of the feedback we get is very encouraging about the positive impact of your experience here.

Also: unlike many other online entities, we do not avail ourselves to the wonderfully inexpensive option of social media. Facebook, for example, would be a fabulous and powerful marketing tool for us but unfortunately, it’s, um, Facebook. I can’t imagine too many of you wanting to posting selfies for the world to see on a MWO Facebook page, nor would I. So we’ll stick with more conventional, albeit expensive, options for our online presence, and one that allows everyone to remain anonymous.

We do look forward to attempting a more aggressive advertising campaign, though. As I mentioned earlier, we have an enviable demographic and collected a great deal of useful information in our survey. Using that data, and working with a consultant, we had developed a preliminary plan to test a new program for advertisers. In fact, we were only days away from launching a pilot with River Pharmacy, with whom we have developed a wonderful relationship over the years. But we were shocked and saddened to learn that a key contact and project lead with whom we worked unexpectedly passed away within days of our launch. We have not yet regrouped but hope to get the program back on track in the next few weeks.

* Staffing

As I pulled away and delegated my duties to others—either volunteers or (terribly underpaid) employees—our expenses continued to rise. While forum hosting companies have become more competitive, I have certainly never seen a fully operational, robust vBulletin site that costs only dollars a month as quoted earlier. Our system requires forum software, licensing, hosting, customization and technical support. In fact, the forum is one of three sites (the e-store, and main MWO pages being the others) that adds to our IT costs. We’ve also had chat sites, blogs, and other online services. For us to retrofit everything we have built—fragile as it may be at times—to a more simple and inexpensive format would mean losing several years of rich, indexed, highly valuable content that thousands of members have provided in hundreds of thousands of posts. The alternative is to update our legacy software and data with a major upgrade, which we are attempting to do, although it is slow going. So we’ve been doing what we can in bits and pieces and we have a wonderful technician who patiently helps us when we are able to make those requests.

One of our fundamental problems is that the three individuals most directly involved in the site (myself included) work full time jobs and live in three different locations. The tasks are essentially divided into general tech, administrative, forum moderation, and (for the time being) e-store support. If one of us is traveling, or otherwise unavailable because of work or family duties, everything takes longer to accomplish. We also bring in higher level support technicians when the problems are those we cannot fix ourselves, and that creates further delays.

* Conclusion
    I’m not trying to make excuses about why things are not in better shape. I’m just being honest when I tell you that these are challenging time for our community. In many ways, the forum is self-regulating but clearly there are times when someone on this end must intervene. I wish I could do more, and as you can probably tell from my earlier message, I have contributed a significant amount of my own personal resources into the operation. I can no longer do that. My time is equally limited—I have a very busy, somewhat complex but thankfully healthier life than ever before. I’m doing my best to find balance while I get this thing back on track because I know it's a critical resource to many, many people.

So bear with me a little longer, folks. I think we’ll come out of this okay and I appreciate all your individual efforts to help support this community, whether it’s a financial contribution to PayPal, a purchase at the e-store, or feedback regarding a technical problem. Your patience, involvement, and commitment all help enormously in making this forum a much better place.

Warmest regards,

RJ

ps: :thanks:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Help keep our forum strong--make a contribution to My Way Out. Or show your support by becoming a Subscriber and enjoy enhanced features, as well!

July 2014 RJ Update

Thank you so much for all the explanations - and I will be hanging on for the better times - this site has become part of my life and a huge reason for my success so far - and a lot of virtual friendships.
    PS :thanks: back to you.
    As I get my life back on track, (which is occurring) and my finances back in order I will put financial support of this site on the top of my list, I owe it a lot that is for sure
    “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

July 2014 RJ Update

RJ...thank you for the post and explanation..it is very reassuring on 2 counts..your honesty as to the what went wrongs (including your played or not played part as the case may be) and secondly the plans for the future...we all owe the site to a greater or lesser extent.. it is also good to know that you are still involved and do jump in now and again,as it does it times feel as if the site is self perpetuating in its own destiny

thank you
      af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

July 2014 RJ Update

OK, I had to laugh at the $10 minus PayPal's fee! :H $9.60... :goodjob:

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I.T. is not my forte but now it seems it costs a bit more to run the site than the info I was given. If you need help I think there are folk willing to donate their time, if you can just tell us what we can do.

What you said about Google's AdWords... I've always wondered how I found my way here, as drunk as I was. I've tried doing a search since then and the site doesn't come up... I guess now I know what happened...

In the meantime I'll go and make a donation... it won't be huge but at least it will help that pathetic PayPal balance! LOL...

Comment

July 2014 RJ Update

Hi RJ -Thank you for this post and the communication. This truly helps clarify the entire situation.

Comment

July 2014 RJ Update

I've just sent a donation via paypal.

This site saved my life, and for that reason I can spare a few $$?? to help keep it going.
            I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

July 2014 RJ Update

Thank you for your detailed response, RJ.

I'm still confused about the value of being a subscriber, however. Your post doesn't indicate that that is a good option. I am fine with being a subscriber - I have received so much more value here than $10/month. But, I would feel better making this commitment if I knew that it were the best way to support you and the site and that others who have benefited from MWO were willing to make it as well. If only 25 people here are subscribing ($250/mo), should we cancel our subscriptions and offer support in another way? Or should non-subscribers who value the site consider subscribing? Most NPOs I'm familiar with love pledges of ongoing support.

Thanks, NS

Comment

July 2014 RJ Update

I've just tried to take a look at how to become a subscriber, following links from the subscription section and the info sent me round in a sort of loop, I gave up after 4 click throughs and no end in sight.
                I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

July 2014 RJ Update

thanks RJ for the update. Grateful know what's going on and look forward to all things working out.
                  Sam
                  Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

July 2014 RJ Update

Thanks, RJ... I don't know what you (or people here) would think about someone combing through some of the threads to create a book, where the proceeds could benefit MWO?

I don't know if it would be available in hard copy, or as an e-book, but something to consider... on one hand, I didn't write things on here for them to be published, but on the other hand, it is in a public domain that any one can read, if they so choose.

Just a thought. It would take someone's time and emotional brain drain to compile, but it may be a worthy effort, for both MWO and for newcomers looking for hope and for direction.

Please let us know what we can do. I think there are many of us that are enjoying retirement living and may be able to donate time or talent to help with some of the technical issues.

:h
                    "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
                    so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."
                    :hug:

Comment

July 2014 RJ Update

RJ Can you give us some numbers to think about while we consider contributing? In other words, what would it reasonably cost to keep the site going, say on an annual or monthly basis? And do you have an estimate of how many active members there are? One could easily do the math and figure out what a "fair share" amounts to, and contribute if they can (or a little more, for those who can't afford much).

Comment

July 2014 RJ Update

I've sent a donation. It's the least that I can do.
                        I used to love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food :heart:

Comment

July 2014 RJ Update

Thanks RJ.

Cheque's in the mail.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

July 2014 RJ Update

the two last posts say it all.

Comment

July 2014 RJ Update

and Rome burned
                              Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Working...
                              X