Alcoholism-- is it a disease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had a short side discussion on this in the Newbies group-- Some say it should not be called a disease, because that is denigrating to people with "real" diseases like cancer. They says it should be called alcohol abuse or an alcohol problem. Others say that since it is something you didn't choose and it damages your body and inhibits it from functioning normally, that it should be called a disease. I think there actually are different kinds of alcohol problems. Some people really are just alcohol abusers-- that is they use alcohol inappropriately and often excessively in a damaging way. They need a combination of therapy and desire to stop or moderate. Others cannot drink without drinking excessively. Their chemicals take over and they lose all ability to control their drinking. These people are true alcoholics. About 80%, maybe more, of the cases are genetically based. Still, the question remains, disease or not? Any opinions?
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Alcohol abuse is an addiction~

"As a result of scientific research, we know that addiction is a disease that affects both brain and behavior. We have identified many of the biological and environmental factors and are beginning to search for the genetic variations that contribute to the development and progression of the disease. Scientists use this knowledge to develop effective prevention and treatment approaches that reduce the toll drug abuse takes on individuals, families, and communities. "
    taken from: Drugs, Brains, and Behavior - The Science of Addiction
    :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

From the reading I've done, the opinion I've formed is that it's an addiction, but that there is also a genetic factor contributing to the potential addict.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what label we give it. An easy cure would be nice! :H Bring back prohibition I say!

Scoobs
      :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

I do belive it is a disease. A gentic one as well. I do hate the term alcoholic. Oholic just seems to make it seem trivial. like workaholic, shopaholic etc.
        Smiles
        Mar

Comment

Difficult question...one which would present many divergent answers but from my perspective let me say I've struggled with alcohol for quite a few years and I know I have one Aunt who died of cirosis and a cousin who drank himself to death...so is there some sort of genetic disposition that runs in my family....I also have other members of my family with "drinking problems"...fortunately my children did not inherit my tolerance for alcohol...they can't drink nearly as much as I can...me...I've always been able to drink like crazy...get up the next morning and operate at full throttle...them...they drink too much and get sick....in my opinion...that is a good thing...I'm GLAD they can't tolerate alcohol like I can...it keeps them from drinking as much as I did for so long...it keeps them in check....just my opinion....sometimes I've thought of my high tolerance for alcohol as a curse of sorts.....:|
          :boxer:Failure is NOT an option! :boxer:

Comment

It certainly is no good for you and can ruin your health and your life so it is like a disease that way. It is also an addiction of course because why would any one keep doing something that they knew is bad for them.

Just my thoughts,
            Sammys

Comment

I believe alcoholism is a progressive disease, which can be inherited and a true alcoholic
              can never be cured, but can be arrested through abstinence, rather like an allergy.
              I know that I am an alcoholic because one drink or ten drinks are not enough.
              I do believe some one who can moderate their drinking is not alcoholic. I am not
              unfortunately, one of these people. I think there are many causes for alcohol
              problems, for some people it's just a bad habit. I used to think of myself as a good
              person with a bad problem, but now I'm working on it.

Comment

Hi like so many i,ve read the scientic research etc..whatever the answer it is a major problem for everyone on this site for sure.

disease or no disease whatever your opinion is..its a sure fact it can lead to other diseases.

Regards Cassy

Comment

The medical established makes HUGE profits by labeling alcoholism a disease. They are motivated by $$$$.

It is a choice. You have control. You can drink or not drink. Pure choice.

I am outraged by the disease model.

Googe: Orange Papers

Comment

Alcololism is a disease - a disease which no-one chooses. Who on earth would choose to crawl from their home to the local shop to buy more alcohol to feed an all consuming need. I do believe there are many many different sorts of alcoholism and could fill pages listing them. I am a binge drinker, my father was a binge drinker, my mother has to have a drink every single day etc etc etc..

Hugs to us all.

L
                    Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Disease, addiction, problem drinker, dosnt really matter all i know is i started like most people "partying" and it progressed in to a monster that i have been fighting for some time now, like most of us it progressed, tolerance builds, dramas happens and before you no it you dont wont to and can not stop. So i guess you could call it a pain in the arse, because you waste so much time trying to stop it. Like cancer caused from smoking, it turns into a diease, because its true who would put themselves through this delibrately. It sounds easy to people who dont have a problem with alcohol just stop, i reackon they should just stop selling the stuff. Problem solved, too easy. So what ever we call it, it ruins lives and that sucks....
                      ACCEPTANCE IS A POWERFUL THING

Comment

Every day I take a drink and the drink takes me.Usally by 12pm im boiled as an owl.It runs in my family and I have had periods of sobriety with always a relapse following that is harder and harder to get off from.I am steve and a chronic alcoholic.I have many things to say but am to drunk to say them now.I want sobriety but the withdrawals are to much and I have to take my wife to work daily since im disabled since 1996.

I will take a nap now to awake to the horrors of drunken withdrawal.Disease or not it is hell on earth.

TY Steve.

Comment

I Lucky , am outraged by your attitude to alcoholism. If you have control and choice
                          over your drinking good, but lots of people do not have that choice, and that is why
                          we have sites like this to offer support to others.
                          As for the medical establishment making money out of it in the uk there are thousands
                          of people who suffer this terrible disease/addiction, call it what you will, and our NHS
                          treats people freely so how does it make money. The only people who I see as making
                          money from alcohol are the people who manufacture it.
                          There are people who are homeless through alcohol, people die from liver disease,
                          heart disease prematurely because of it. Are you saying that's their choice.
                          Paula.

Comment

Hello Steve, and welcome. Hope you feel well soon, I would love to hear your story,
                            so keep coming back, you will get lots of support from most people on this site.
                            Best wishes Paula.

Comment

I don't feel nearly as educated as any of you on the subject, but can't something be an "addiction" w/out being a disease? You can become addicted physically to practically anything, but I don't necessarily think you "catch" alcoholism like the flu for instance. That being said, I think the majority of people are "problem drinkers" and think the label alcoholic should be saved for a more select few. I believe 100% that problem drinking or alcoholism can be genetically passed down and I think these are the people that have the most problems and tolerance with/for alcohol (although it has to start somewhere right?) As far as making a choice to drink or not drink, when you addicted to something physically it alters chemicals in your brain, thus, you are not in full control of your choices like you are if you are not addicted, thus again, how can it actually be called a "choice" by definition? Just MHO
                              "Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced"

:new:

Comment

Working...
                              X