Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcoholism-- is it a disease?

from The Addictive Personality

I think a lot of this is a matter of semantics. Also, if the experts don't know for sure why should we? I would be skeptical of anyone who says they have definitive answers.

Personally, I think that we should look at the substance itself as being inherently addictive, like heroin or nicotine. Some of us may be more predisposed toward seeking substances, for example to help with mental illnesses...

I find the book The Addictive Personality by Craig Nakken useful on this topic.
    Do families cause people to become addicts? He quotes another source as saying:

While much research has been conducted and many findings revealed on this issue, we still do not have the final answer.

Alcoholism or alcohol dependence runs strongly in families. A genetic contribution to this familial pattern for alcoholism is best suported [by various studies] all of which demonstrate and increased risk for alcohol-related prolblems in children of alcoholics.

In some cases, children who were adopted and raised without knowldege of the alcohol problems of their biological parents still had much higher rates of alcoholism.

Then Nakken writes:

While these facts suggest a genetic link, they do not yet provide scientific proof. Before that proof can be made, innumerable roadblocks must be removed. First and foremost we need to work with an appropriate definition of alcoholism. In many current studies, alcoholism has been divded into alcohol abuse (harmful use, such as haivng an auto accident under the influence) and alcohol dependence (chronic use). Tracing genetic factors to these two definitions is problematic at best becuase alcohol abuse does not necessarily develop into alcohol dependence.

Another obstacle occurs when we try to determine who in our families was an alcoholic two or three generations back. Sixty or seventy years ago, definitions of alcoholic were only just beginning to be clarified and most alcoholics denied they had a problem.

Still another barrier occurs when scientists try to pinpoint hose specific genes that increase one's risk aof alcoholism. Is it one gene acting alone? Ten genes? Twenty? The study of twins with alcoholic parents does not show a 100 percent correlation. One twin may be alcoholic but the other is not. Or neither twin may be alcohol dependent. What does that say about the influence of genes?

However, while the role of genes is difficult to prove scientfically, statistically their role seems obvious...

There's more if you want to read the book.

Comment

For those of you who think it is a disease. Do you think nicotine addiction is a disease?
      It has the same addictive properties and it kills people, causes horrific physical diseases...

Comment

Nancy- I like the way you think. Of course no one thinks nicotine addiction is a disease and that is exactly my point. But, people are passionate about the topic. I will not be posting again on the subject.

Comment

Ditto, we all have our own thoughts and our own opinions which is how it should be and how it has to be.

L
          Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Yeah, obviously a topic that gets people upset and also interested.

Heroin does a huge amount of damage but we don't think there is a heroin disease.

I think the reason people care so much is that it really affects your approach to sobriety and your feelings about yourself.

Those of us who want to moderate obviously would prefer to think we have some control. disease implies abstinence is the only answer and we have no choice.

those who like the disease model probably feel relieved that they don't have control, they just need to adapt to it, just like someone with diabetes or some other uncontrollable disease.

AA has promoted the disease model and that has become popularized. I don't think the answers are out there.

In the past, i have been addicted to cigarettes and the compulsive feelings are horrible! and you basically are killing yourself with every puff. i recognize i am compulsive. Alan Carr may disagree, but I think there is an addictive personality.

Comment

My my what is the difference?Cancer is a disease it can go into remission like my aunts but she still has it as with alcoholism.Arrest it and keep it arrested and you are fine but it is waiting for you to make it active again by stopping the treatment.

I just had my last beer I hope but do need help.I went to walmarts drunk and bought me apples -lemons-and grapres I hear will help me through the withdrawals.Hope someone here can call to chat.Steve @318-377-1088 I live in louisiana dubberly.Thanks for any help on phone therapy.

Steve.

Comment

Hi steve, hope your feeling better,sorry can't call you ,I'm in uk.
                disease is just a word, I feel I may have overreacted, but I see
                people daily who are struggling with various addictions, the question of
                choice does not come into it.

Comment

possibly it was labeled a disease a while back to push the point that problem drinking etc is not a lifestyle choice and 'serves them right if they get ill'.

personally, i see it as an addiction, probably genetic. my father was an alcoholic and so is my brother. myself i believe i have a problem, pretty big one but not where i would have to dry out in a clinic for my own safety.

i think now the the lable has served its purpose and people are more open to the fact that drinkers need help and support to stop/moderate.

just my 2 pen'eth

Comment

Hi Roxane, I do agree with you it is an addiction. My dad and quite a few of my siblings
                    have probs. with it, I have suffered this addiction for years, and have tried so many
                    times to stop. I am what you may call a functioning alcoholic. I have worked in A/e depts
                    and nobody knows about my prob. But often patients would come in and the staff attitude
                    would be it's their own fault "why do they do it? they would treat them like scum, I would
                    say we do'nt treat diabetics in hypo like that so why drunks, answer would be drunks
                    choose it. I have never needed hospitalisation and have not suffered any liver probs.
                    etc. But it could happen if I continued. I am now very proud to have been af for almost
                    4 months, due to the support of the wonderful people like you on this site.
                    I am sorry if I offended anybody yesterday I really did'nt mean to, it was just me on
                    my soapbox.
                    Love Paula.

Comment

All I can say on the topic is " IT FREAKING SUCKS" whether it is a disease, a choice, a addiction, whatever...it just SUCKS!

Comment

paula, 4months sounds brilliant! i miscounted earlier when i said i was on day 4, im on day 5

deriding the drinkers who came in as patients is what i meant by now calling it a disease. maybe hospital staff dont think that, but if the wider public do then hopefully it can become less taboo. *she says having told only three people*

Comment

I know its inherited. I'm adopted and my adoptive mother didn't drink. My adoptive father drank 1 beer in the evening. I started drinking alot about age 16 and would drink before that if I could get my hands on it. A couple years ago I looked up my birth mother. Turns out my whole biological family is alcoholic.My birth mother quit for 13 years but as soon as her husband died she started up again and is now drunk most of the time. Hope that doesnt happen to me. Bird

Comment

Hello again.

Apples and grapes help but not enough.Thank you all for being here.

Comment

What about oranges and pears?

Comment

Complex question and therefore complex answer...I like the way you deal with the semantics of it nancy...

I believe the power of the mind always wind over..therefore it is a choice.."if" one can exercise choice

I also believe there is a neuro-chemical element to this. There is too much scientific evidence to support it including the genetic factor.

Maybe the model one chooses for healing is not that important. I had absolutely no doubts or qualms about choosing "the disease model" for my teenage daughter addicted to heroin. A character assasination would have destroyed her. As well as pointing to weak will or character destory everyone with any kind of addiction.

I think using heroin (or any other drug) is a disease just like alcoholism...it is the dis ---ease of addiction.

We could call it a neuro-chemical disorder (NCD) ..then the pharmaceuticals & healthcare would have a ball adding that to their repertoire of rip-off addicting drugs for the " drug addiction disorder" or "disease".

Well..that was refreshing...

Comment

Working...
                                X