Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPAM and RJ update

All:
    I am sure that current users of MWO are painfully aware of the crazy spam attacks that are underway. I am not so sure that everyone is quite as aware of the update that RJ posted in July, 2014; doesn't look like that many people have read it, and only a few have commented on it.

My take: RJ was very candid about where her personal life is now, and, in a sense, where she's at with MWO (this is implied in her comments). Let's face it. She has done an unbelievable job over the years and probably saved countless lives (literally, not exaggeration) but, it would be unreasonable to expect her, or anyone to continue, full throttle for ever. I fear this spam thing could become endemic and ruin this site (I don't want to be overly dramatic, but we must be vigilant).

So, I have several suggestions:
    1) Read RJ's update, from July. It is the first thing you see in General Discussion. And, draw your own conclusions.
    2) Contribute, if you are inclined. I did. It sounds like RJ is still very interested in MWO, but it takes money, especially now, with this spam problem.

MWO is very vital to me and I'm willing to spend money and time to help, and to "take some ownership"- not literally, in it's continuance. I have been benefiting from MWO to some extent for a long time and haven't supported it at all, other than the book and some sups.

SPAM and RJ update

Many of us read the July update, and were very hopeful.

I think that Red put it most succinctly on the other thread- if R.J. were to update us with news of a plan and a needed amount of money to accomplish the rescue of this site, many of us would leap at the chance to donate.

The silence is deafening. Despite my hopes, it appears that no one is minding the store.

Nearly every single thread is now rife with spam.

All we need is a plan.

Comment

SPAM and RJ update

Fennel
      I agree with you. I think we are least entitled to an explanation. It is fine if RJ wants to let the site go. She certainly has done a lot for all of us just providing this site through the years. It would just be nice to know that's the game plan. I would also support the site if there was the movement in that direction but I see nothing. Lack of communication never works for me.
      Sam
      Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

SPAM and RJ update

Molly
        X post. Yep, I've cancelled my subscription as of yesterday. I pm'd RJ, no response.
        Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

SPAM and RJ update

I am happy to give a donation/subscribe/moderate, etc. However, at this point, I think that we need to get some more response from the administrators on exactly what we can do to help. It is very discouraging.
          This site has helped thousands of people. I hate to see what is happening.
          "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

SPAM and RJ update

I would donate, as well
            I love my family more than alcohol.:h
            Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

SPAM and RJ update

I believe in the update she mentioned that subscriptions bring in the munificent sum of $250 a month. Doing the math, that's 25 subscribers. TWENTY FIVE out of HOW MANY HUNDREDS that visit regularly? All for under the price of a 12-pack.

Plus, the subscriber forum is the last bastion free from spam.
              In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

SPAM and RJ update

I believe in the update she mentioned that subscriptions bring in the munificent sum of $250 a month. Doing the math, that's 25 subscribers. TWENTY FIVE out of HOW MANY HUNDREDS that visit regularly? All for under the price of a 12-pack.

Plus, the subscriber forum is the last bastion free from spam.
                In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

SPAM and RJ update

quite a few said payments werent being taken and some more that the subscription application wouldnt go through.

Comment

SPAM and RJ update

Amazing - I'm watching the spam go up in real time.

The payment page is still up, but I can't attest to whether or not it's actually working. Actually, there's a bunch of free stuff subscribers were supposed to get (Kudzu sample, PDF of My Way Out, etc.) and I never got any of it. Did anyone ever?

Comment

SPAM and RJ update

I got the Kudzo but that was months ago.
                      Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

SPAM and RJ update

I hope this ship don't sink,but one tellung thing in RJ's last post was mentioning someone else start a similar site,kinda weird,see what happens
                        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

SPAM and RJ update

I think we are seeing things spiral out of control. And it's going to go down pretty fast from the looks of it. The site is already sluggish with all the spamming activity. I had several pages freeze when trying to make posts this afternoon. I could actually see the spam coming in real time. Also (and I've always been a bit paranoid), but I'm starting to get concerned about spammers being able to use MWO as a backdoor to our own computers, after all I'm sure the site logs our IP numbers and most of us probably have "cookies" for this site stored on our web browsers. There has to be more of a motive other than trying to crash a support website. As Gordon Liddy said, "Obviously crime pays, otherwise there'd be no crime." Someone, somewhere has to be making money off this.

Comment

SPAM and RJ update

Alky that is a scary scenario...
                            Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

SPAM and RJ update

Alky et all... I must admit that I don't understand why The spam is such a big concern...it looks like just random nonsense posts to me which are easily scrolled through and ignored...

I'm must be missing something about this I'm sure....is Spam something bigger and more ominous than just a bunch of inconvenient , jibberish posts???

Please forgive my ignorance. I want to understand why everyone thinks this stuff is such a huge threat...
                              :l:h
                              On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                              *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Working...
                              X