Help for Binge Drinker/Eater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a binger and can't seem to break this cycle. My pattern has been to do well during the week, and then have been going on 2-5 day binges. I will binge drink, which takes away my inhibitions and judgement. I will then proceed to binge eat when drunk. I am frustrated trying to figure out WHY I am doing this. I have gained weight and feel tired, which makes me want to binge more because I feel depressed. I don't like looking at myself in the mirror because I am disgusted. Anyone have insight into techniques to stop this and why people do it when it makes them ultimately feel bad? It's like when you bang your head on a wall, it hurts. What would make you keep doing it? I just don't get it.

NewStartNow;1702206 wrote: I am a binger and can't seem to break this cycle. My pattern has been to do well during the week, and then have been going on 2-5 day binges. I will binge drink, which takes away my inhibitions and judgement. I will then proceed to binge eat when drunk. I am frustrated trying to figure out WHY I am doing this. I have gained weight and feel tired, which makes me want to binge more because I feel depressed. I don't like looking at myself in the mirror because I am disgusted. Anyone have insight into techniques to stop this and why people do it when it makes them ultimately feel bad? It's like when you bang your head on a wall, it hurts. What would make you keep doing it? I just don't get it.
    I wish that I had the magic answer but I don't. But, good job on coming here to get help. I would suggest reading & posting and then reading & posting some more. There are lots of great people here.
    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

I wasn't a daily drinker, but too often drank too much. I too spent some time trying to figure this out, but in the end it is just about quitting, and making the changes necessary to quit for good. Why could I not drink for several days without difficulty, then fell back into the same old rut?

Once you have routinely damaged your brain with alcohol, there is no going back, it will always be a problem for you. Newbies Nest is a good place to post when you are new here, check the tool box thread for ideas to help you. The process of posting was for me a way to figure out just what I was thinking. So keep posting, never give up trying to figure out your own path to success.
      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Sunbeam;1702317 wrote:
        Once you have routinely damaged your brain with alcohol, there is no going back, it will always be a problem for you.
        This is the plain truth. I don't think I have seen it put more simply than this.

Find a way to quit and stay quit, whether you use AA, SMART recovery, intensive outpatient therapy, reading and posting here or whatever combination of recovery steps it takes. The first step is recognizing you have a problem and you did that. Now it's time to take steps to find recovery. Do as much research and try as many avenues as it takes. It takes time but if you keep doing something everyday towards sobriety it will click.

And don't believe that recovery has to involve relapse, once you quit stay quit. My one and only quit started March 17, 2011, I just could not imagine starting this roller coaster ride ever again. It took me a year after joining this site to get that first sober day, but once I started I jumped into sober living 1000%. Ride out the bad days because they are always just temporary. There is so much more I could say but I am typing from my phone.

There is so much to learn on this site, follow the long term members and you will start on a road to a life you never imagined!

I hope to see you around here ALOT!
        AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

I was very much like this when I drank, and when I got alcohol under control I was able to start eating healthier, however the food did start to take over the less I drank and even more so when I quit completely. This says to me there's some underlying reason for this coping mechanism, and so I've engaged in further therapy to try and work out what's going on!
          I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Made it through the weekend! Hooray! It's been 7 days since my last drink and my last binge. I was irritable and cranky sometimes this weekend, but just let it be. I need to learn to feel my feelings and work through it instead of trying to "make it better" by drinking and eating which only makes me end up feeling worse. Facing reality head on and looking the truth square in the eye is frightening. The truth is what it is, and I must accept it and try to be happy as I am. Things will get better and I will get better. I am more than my weight and am worth loving. That is what will be very difficult for me to learn - that I am worthy of being loved.

Comment

New start, that is an important thought, your own self-worth. It is easy to hate yourself for abusive drinking, but the hate does not help you get stronger, only self love and respect can do that.
              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

ignore alchio, hes a troll.

Comment

qlnk pmduelzzyvcd

He has been behind the support and our own efforts, so that our enterprises have a leap of development appnaalliancemi com/BottegaVenetaOutlet php]Bottega Veneta Wallet myworldlllll com/HerveLeger html]Herve Leger Swimwear I don't think I would bother next time as the kids were knackered by the time they got there myworldlllll com/HerveLeger html]Herve Leger johnbryce com/HerveLegerDress php]Herve Leger Sale at an exclusive prerelease high tea to charterabus org/BottegaVenetaBag html]Bottega Veneta exec-services com/BottegaVenetaCrossbodyBag html]Bottega Veneta Bag She ended up in a silver beadedandblack gown with long sleeves and V neck trailcosa co za/BottegaVeneta php]Bottega Veneta Outlet '' 'Or' come and go with the original is a miracle trailcosa co za/BottegaVeneta php]Bottega Veneta Outlet Online exec-services com/BottegaVenetaCrossbodyBag html]Bottega Veneta Outlet He now stands shoulder to shoulder on that list with the likes of Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Eli Broad, George Kaiser, Michael Bloomberg, George Lucas and others, Forbes reported myworldlllll com/HerveLeger html]Herve Leger Swimwear Herve Leger Swimwear Four people together again, that day, we are drunk myworldlllll com/HerveLeger html]Herve Leger Dresses Bottega Veneta He was gone, do not forget to remember ate boudin, raise the disease back to school i stood there for a long time, i feel my heart is pulled out, i don know why, i remained silent for a long time, i know, i was like an cold, i always encourage su ann cold fall in love like i knew, i silently in my pocket picked up, open, which is in boudin, honey, milk, mango, without exception i love the taste, but not a shop all others, is to prove to me idea, i took boudin to a out of view, different dessert shop name, progenitors, patio, smell wake up my tears, the idiot, a word to me all over the city of c dessert shop, but did not buy myself a matatabistic made cake trailcosa co za/BottegaVeneta php]Bottega Veneta Bags Sale
                  pyylobbq trailcosa co za/BottegaVeneta php euesaejx

Comment

red67;n2376259 wrote:

This is the plain truth. I don't think I have seen it put more simply than this.

Find a way to quit and stay quit, whether you use AA, SMART recovery, intensive outpatient therapy, reading and posting here or whatever combination of recovery steps it takes. The first step is recognizing you have a problem and you did that. Now it's time to take steps to find recovery. Do as much research and try as many avenues as it takes. It takes time but if you keep doing something everyday towards sobriety it will click.

And don't believe that recovery has to involve relapse, once you quit stay quit. My one and only quit started March 17, 2011, I just could not imagine starting this roller coaster ride ever again. It took me a year after joining this site to get that first sober day, but once I started I jumped into sober living 1000%. Ride out the bad days because they are always just temporary. There is so much more I could say but I am typing from my phone.

!
                    That has to be one of the best posts I've seen in quite a while.

Comment

Working...
                    X