Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Procrastination and drinking. Is there a connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been reading some interesting articles about procrastination and have found some pretty interesting insights, at least to me. One is that procrastination is often a response to an authoritarian parenting style. Having harsh, controlling parents keeps a child from developing the ability to self-regulate, determine his or her own choice of course, and then to act on that choice. Procrastination can develop as a form of rebellion from one's harsh upbringing. Another interesting fact according to Psychology Today is that procrastination predicts higher levels of consumption of alcohol among people who drink. Procrastinators drink more than they intend to again because of their trouble with self-regulation.

So I'm curious how many of us here consider ourselves to be procrastinators and if so were your parents very strict?

I certainly do and I'd say that the description of harsh and critical parents is 100% true in my case. Nothing but perfection was acceptable in my house growing up and no matter how hard I tried, my best was never good enough. I think that procrastination became, in my mind, a way for me to avoid failure or success because in either case I would be criticized.

Very interesting. Iam definitely a procrastinator. My childhood was very neglectful. Dad was an alcoholic in a plural marriage. We only saw him at night when he was coming to sleep once or twice a week. Mom was the breadwinner winner and travelled alot. She was home on weekends if that. We got sent to boarding schools that were pretty much prisons. My childhood hood has alot to do with my how this whole thing turned out. Great thread Flyway and iam sorry about ur upbringing but you came out on top.
    Its for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and DO NOT let yourself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

Comment

This is a fascinating correlation, Fly! Thank you for posting this. It was definitely the case with me. My father was a tyrant, brutally controlling an strict. I definitely procrastinate and yes, it was a form of rebellion because my parents wanted me to get the best education, and I went to tough private schools...but my dad would not settle for anything less than100 per cent from me. I used alcohol to avoid thinking about work rated tasks that I hated doing, but needed to complete.
      I struggled with self confidence my while life due to his tyranny. Fortunately I used my
      Good education as a way to climb the corporate ladder. I have been sober over 2.5
      Years and own a successful business. I never even would have thought of the procrastination link, Fly, but it makes sense to me. Thanks!!

Comment

Wow, good question Fly. This is certainly going to pique my interest into my procrastination and see if I can finally do something about it. Like they say being aware is the first step. Childhood, we are at the mercy of everyone. My father was a perfectionist and his wife just followed the leader. Not that they were too strict but when someone is perfect you don't even try to measure up b/c you can't. Add in a couple of terminally ill siblings and you have a recipe for disaster. So I can see rebellion or some sort of aggression turned inward that would lead to doing nothing b/c you aren't good enough and never will be which I guess could make you put off just about everything. Hmmm...food for thought, thanks, hope to hear what others think on this.

Comment

Rusty it's so good to see you!

Comment

From this article: Psychology Today

There are 3 basic types of procrastinators:
            • arousal types, or thrill-seekers, who wait to the last minute for the euphoric rush.
            • avoiders, who may be avoiding fear of failure or even fear of success, but in either case are very concerned with what others think of them; they would rather have others think they lack effort than ability.decisional procrastinators, who cannot make a decision. Not making a decision absolves procrastinators of responsibility for the outcome of events.

Comment

I would say that I'm definitely #2.

Comment

Great to see you, too, Fly!:l
                "Procrastinators drink more than they intend to again because of their trouble with self-regulation." I agree with this statement. I procrastinate when it comes down to mundane tasks, or services for a client for whom I don't particularly like....I tend to put off their needs because I resent having to answer to someone I don't like....even if they are paying for my services. Drinking exacerbated my procrastination...it was definitely a form of escape and rebellion. With drinking, I not only could procrastinate, but the booze helped me forget I was doing it at all!:H It was my away of avoiding a confrontation or unhappy work/family situation. Well, it worked temporarily, until it almost destroyed me.

I am definitely a #1, and a #2.

I like this dialogue. Hope it continues!

Comment

Nice post. Good-relevant observation.

Comment

How many of us have woke up in the morning saying, "That's it, I'm done drinking. Today is the day." and then that night when you get home from work or are cooking dinner or are helping your kids with homework or whatever, suddenly you start thinking that you'll do it tomorrow. Isn't that a form of procrastination? I'm not dismissing the alcohol addiction, but we all know that we need to do something, we just don't want to do it now. "I need a drink after the day I had. The kids are driving me nuts! My husband is an ass! I need to unwind!" Starting tomorrow always sounds better when we're stressed. Is this really the inability to self-regulate and self-sooth? Is that part of the reason why exercise and meditation and hypnosis, etc. tend to help those of us trying to get sober?

Comment

Hi Everyone, I definitely am a major procrastinator and it's been something I've been working on along with my drinking. I also found that for the four months I was sober this summer, my procrastination did improve a little as I was able to work on it not being distracted by the hangovers and self-hatred that came with my drinking. I am a # 3... very worried about what people think. If I could beat, not only the drinking, but the procrastination, I would be a much happier, productive person. I strongly believe that the two are closely related. I have trouble self-regulating my housework, my office work, my involvement with my kids and grandkids, my drinking, my sugar intake, my exercise and just about every area of my life. I am excited at the prospect of working on these two problems in my life (procrastination and drinking) simultaneously. Thanks for starting this thread, Flyaway!
                      "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
                      Lao-Tzu

Comment

Thanks for starting the thread, Flyaway!

I'm with you, SoberSoul, I have not had a drink since the 13th of September this year (so still early days) and knew I had some procrastinating capacity, but didn't realise how much. I am seeing an addiction counsellor and the last session has got me thinking about this. The drinking made it so much easier - but I thought drinking was the only problem - now I think I am seeing them both as part of a wider issue of avoidance? Why, I don't know, but I suspect fear of being judged is a huge part of it. In the meantime, I judge myself, and worry anyway about others judging me for what I am not getting done! We are hard on ourselves, aren't we?

I will add to this as I reflect and would love to read more on this topic from whoever finds it relevant to them. Good luck on the journey, everyone! xoxo

Comment

Drinking held me back so much - it was procrastinate and reflect and think about it all in one - just leaning on the windowsill looking out at the world.

Stopping drinking there is so much time your have not taken advantage of - you are so free to confront your fears and put some control on your mind to get what you want and need from life.

I have really found some powerful resources just searching youtube and motivation, personal development and overcoming fear for example. Listen to the talks as you work and let it slowly change your world view.
                          AF 20 April 2011
                          NF 12 December 2009
                          Fresh Fruit for Sobriety

Comment

Working...
                          X