First step to recover from addiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First step to recover from addiction

Hi guys I am an alcoholic, I drink every day until I get wasted. I joined MWO because I know I will learn a lot here about how to recover from this addiction that I have. This is the first day that I don't drink a alcohol, hopefully I can continue this step to recover from my addiction. By the I just want to thank all the people here who share their experience its very inspiring to me. I will keep you posted. Suggestion and advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Hi Johncarrol, I just wanted to welcome you and send you some support. This website will give you two things that were probably missing in the past:. TOOLS and SUPPORT. These are the game changing elements in my mind. Read the toolbox thread for concrete strategies on quitting, that thread is a gold mine. Consider joining us in the newbies nest (both are thread titles; posting from my phone so I can't Link right now). Quitting drinking has beenthe best thing I've ever done for myself and family. It may be a little intimidating at first but no one ever regrets it.
    "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
    AF 11/12/11

Comment

“Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.” St. Francis of Assisi
      My son is a alcoholic. I understand all u r going thru. Yet I could never really feel the amazing feeling you do now since u have found sobriety.
      Keep counting it adds up so quickly! Life is a Gift !
      Last edited by SHADES_of_IDAHO; October 12, 2014, 01:26 AM. Reason: Spelling
      "Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never -- in nothing, great or small, large or petty -- never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. " by Winston Churchill .

Comment

The road to recovery won't be easy, but life without AL is so much better. Visit the toolbar and get a support group going. YOU CAN DO IT!
        I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Hi JC. (May I call you JC?). I am on day 11 and I'm feeling much better. Plan on being cranky and /or anxious and/or a little blue for a few days while you are detoxing...I was. The fog is beginning to life for me but I battle boozy thoughts every day. I've been getting help here at MWO from a few members who have given me amazing support. This is a great community. I'm glad you've joined in the conversation. I'm not going to say each day is increasingly easy for me yet...in fact, I am betting the first few days, weeks, months, are the hardest...and although the first days have been rough for me, I can honestly say I am coming to be happier and more satisfied with life. Booze is too much of a burden. I just can have it in my life anymore so I'm gritting my teeth and bearing it. Someone on here gave me great advice...you have to get out of the mindset that you are missing out by not drinking. I've also learned that you have to "own your own quit". This advice helped me....hope it is meaningful for you as well..hang in there and post often....

Comment

Working...
          X