• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcohol and Itching

Hi Everyone...

Yes yes...I am back AGAIN.
    Anyways...
    I relapsed...and have been drinking on and off the past few weeks....this last week it is daily but I have decided I am not going to drink anymore and start my day 1 again. Sober life really is better. I know this...I just don't know why I let it get this bad again.
    Anyways. I did have a question, was wondering if anyone had any insight?
    I have been really damn itchy lately - like....everyone. First it started with neck and scalp, now it's back and arms...shoulders....things like that. I haven't changed ANYTHING....maybe a new shampoo but stopped using that....the only difference...alcohol. I started drinking again - and it's beer, which is something I never used to drink, it was always wine.
    The itching does go away when I drink...this is the only thing I can think of and was wondering if anyone has experienced this before and do you think the itching could be a result of the beer?
    I will keep an eye on the itching over the next few days as I don't plan on drinking...but am trying to wrack my brain as to why I am so damn itchy all of a sudden.
    Taking Reactine/Benadryl helps the itching too btw...
    Anyways...any advice would be great.
    Thanks.

Bri.

Hey Mollyka - it's possible that after a week of drinking I have liver disease? Because before this I was sober 8+ months...and when I had bloodwork done by levels were all low and normal.

Comment

I just read that that is a later stage symptom of liver disease...and people with liver disease usually need to be abusing alcohol for at least 10 years.
      I was sober 8+ months and this is the first week that I have been drinking daily - 2-7 beers a night. I wonder if it's a symptom of the alcohol leaving my body? I don't have any other other symptoms.
      I also had two separate blood tests done which came back normal.

Maybe it's an allergic reaction, you think? The only other thing I can think of is new shampoo - but that was a while ago and my neck and everything is itchy.

I wonder if too, because I am sitting here thinking about it, that it's making it worse?

Either way....I am done with the boozing...

Comment

Hi bri! I didn't have the itching when I was drinking, but the first couple of weeks after I quit the itching was terrible! It only lasted a few weeks though, I think it has something to do with the body cleansing itself of alcohol as a lot of my home group AA'ers said they experienced the same thing....
        Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
        Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
        Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

No worries Mollyka! I was reading up on it and couldn't identify with a lot of it. My itching is just random throughout the day....on the neck usually and scalp...sometimes back. When I sit and think about it it gets worse, lol. So maybe it is something to do with cosmetics? Who knows.
          Thanks Cowboy! I think you are right. I have heard other people complain of itching too when they detox from AL so maybe it's my body just getting rid of something from the inside out?
          When I take antihistamines it does go away - so maybe it's an allergic reaction to something? I don't know...
          All I know is that this itching is driving me bonkers!!!

Comment

Hi Bri,i had itching,i too think it's the al leaving your body,i had it in my feet,belly also i'm wondering if al makes our skin drier or something,i dunno,but i'm glad you're 86'ing the brew again,f-it,it's not worth it! luv ya
            I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
            Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hey Pauly - thanks so much for the post. I am thinking so too because when I drank the itching would go away but for me it was mostly in the scalp, neck and back area....
              It's so frustrating and annoying! We will see how it goes with more (hopefully ) sober time.

Comment

Scalp,neck and back sounds more like the shampoo,i was being a cheapo and bought hubs some Suave,he broke out in a horible rash! he quit using it and it was gone the next day,maybe go back to your old stuff
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

What takes the itch from hell away for me is a presc. Antihistamine Hydroxyzine HCL 25 mg. Just 1 tab works shuts down the itching .. It's worth a try. It took me years to find what finally killed the itching from hell.
                  "Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never -- in nothing, great or small, large or petty -- never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. " by Winston Churchill .

Comment

Try an antihistamine presc Hydroxyzine HCL 25 mg. Just 1 tab works.
                    "Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never -- in nothing, great or small, large or petty -- never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. " by Winston Churchill .

Comment

Working...
                    X