Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sweetpea29 View Post
    Hello Army

Been too long, I know. Hope yis still remember me? Dunno where to start to explain my absence- nothing major, no disasters, just been pre-occupied and focusing attentions elsewhere. Still sober tho!

Have thought of yis often and hope ye are all keeping well?

I'm dog-sitting last night/today- Charlie the chocolate lab- we are going walkies now soon!
    Welcome back Sweets!

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post

Secondly, since I no longer use alcohol as a crutch, and have found Satisfaction in my real life through some new friendships, I became less dependent on MWO as a support system. When I talk to my family about any past drinking situation, it just makes me feel badly that I still think about it. To them, they have forgiven me and have moved on, and my 3 years of odd behavior due to my drinking are faded memories for them, and they want it to be the same for me. My way of giving back is to serve as a volunteer for adults who are dually afflicted with deafness and blindness. The isolation these people deal with daily is so sad...that I am happy to donate one Saturday per month to work
      As a guide for them. I happily do this with my 87-year-old mother. Key to my successful recovery was cutting two toxic people out of my life completely. They were "friends" of mine who were constant triggers for my drinking. My new friends have no idea of my serious drinking problem and fortunately, when I get together with these new friends, it's either for lunch or coffee, and the topic of alcohol never comes up in conversation. Satzy has it a lot tougher because her family drinks as a pastime and lifelong habit, and she can't exactly cut them out of her life. Most of my family drinks but very moderately. I am lucky that way. I have never been to an AA meeting and never plan to go. Hearing people's drunkalogs an rehashing the stupid and hurtful things I did while I was drinking are two time wasters, IMVHO. I do not mean to offend you with my comments about AA, Molly or anyone else. It is a very effective program for millions of people, including my aunt, who had been sober for over 7 yrs now, thanks to rehab and AA. I am grateful that she has found friendship and fellowship in AA. She almost died as the result of her AL and I am so glad she found her way back.

My third reason is in line eith what someone here said...I got close to people and then They left without any explanation. Also, In my case, I was stung by the snide comments of someone at MWO who has several years sober time. I see petty fights and nasty comments on a few other threads and I thought, "Is MWO really worth my time anymore?" The answer for me is "yes," but on a very limited basis. I do communicate with a couple of people I am fond of via PM.

All I know Rusty -is if all those in the Army & some on other threads had left when they got sober - I would not be sober now.
      It was the realisation that there is a life without alcohol that saved me.
      That came with simply reading & posting daily here.

THAT to me is giving back ............. and I thank those who continue to give here.:welldone:

AND
      I love to hear what others in my own country and other places are living their lives -like Ava way down under in Oz and Dreamy in South Africa.
      Makes us less parochial.
      Last edited by satz123; November 9, 2014, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Very late good evening and hellos gorgessnesses, lovelynesses and all round excellent personages

Brain fried with all the NVQ Health & Safety stuff.............would you believe its the longest section of the module..............:sad:
        It could be worse, I could be filing.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

So much of it is common sense................its very unlikely that I'm going to throw someone with a bone sticking out of their leg over me shoulder and run down to A&E.
          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Quick pop in to say goodnight - forgot how much this funeral planning and running about takes out of you so off to be now, thanks for warm welcome back. I really owe you guys on here because without this place I wouldn't be sober today xxx
            AF since 9 December 2012 :yay:

Comment

Mrs Spydysylv............sorry didn't say hello earlier. Really sorry to hear the news.
              We're at a funeral tomorrow...........a dear friends father.
              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Night Molls.
                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Good morning

I'll have to suspend being happy for just under an hour today if that's Ok........we're going to a funeral.
                  AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

We're there to support the deceased son more than anything................his twin brother is not to put to finer point on it.........a complete wanker.
                    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

sorry to hear that JC. support is a great thing to be.

molly, you have a plumber in the house, thats a start.

Comment

Morning Roxxy,
                        He's a good man.........
                        I'll tell you a wee story that'll bring tears to your eyes..............when my dear auld Pa died......and you know that bit when the family stands at the door of the crem doing the shake hands and thank you for coming bit ..........all our neighbours had turned up............I didn't even know they were there......I cried buckets..
                        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

must. not. cry. what with you and spidey talking of funerals and neighbour coming round yesterday talking of how well or bad people die stirs it up for me.

sunny day, good for the spirits.

Comment

Morning!

Why are we still on last week's thread?

Roxy :hug: :hug: and JC too.

I've actually refilled the hug bucket.
                            14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Enough doom and gloom...........wonder if they'll have prawn vol-au-vents at the do after.
                              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

[QUOTE=DreamThinkDo;1575817]Morning!

Why are we still on last week's thread?

Roxy :hug: :hug: and JC too.

Oops is it Monday.
                                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Working...
                                X