Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food with Fen...

Howdy, my fellow foodies!

This evening's meal has been inspired by a book I am currently reading. The title is "Without You, There Is No Us- My Time with the Sons of North Korea's Elite", by Suki Kim.

Ms. Kim was born in S. Korea, and ended up moving to the U.S., residing in New York City. She posed as a missionary in order to visit N. Korea, teaching English to the sons of the party elites.

The book is a fascinating account of her time in North Korea.

At any rate, I decided that this evening's meal would be "Bibimbap". Korean comfort food. It usually consists of the week's leftovers, much as my dad's "hash" was. I don't own any of the traditional stone bowls it is served in (yet). It contains short grained rice, greens (I used lacinato kale, not having any Korean greens), carrots, zucchini, shiitake mushrooms, a fried egg, beef (not mandatory), and chili paste. I am using my default, Sambal Oelek.

The idea is to blanch and cook the ingredients separately, and place them on a bed of rice in the bowl- preferably contrasting colors near each other, like colors apart from each other. The ingredients are cooked in soy sauce, sesame oil and garlic...some, with an addition of sugar. I usually saute' kale in an oil/vinegar mix, so I will use rice vinegar.

Mind you, this is probably a dish more native to Korea's Southern region, so I am tipping my hat to Comrade Kim Suki, as she was addressed in the North.

For non-fiction fans interested in North Korea, I highly recommend the book.
    Last edited by fennel; November 13, 2014, 06:08 PM.

I nearly forgot...please feel free to post your meals for the day and what inspired you to create them! Recipes are welcome. :happy2:

Comment

Staying home from the cabin this weekend in order to learn the time honored tradition of lefse making from my cousin.

Here is an exuberant Norskie demonstrating her method...

Comment

Can't wait to check all this out!
        "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

I had taco bell for breakfastit's my Friday treat,and the guy working was HOT,double treat!haha
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

I will post photos of my completed lefses tomorrow. Nora, I am sure you will find the video absolutely riveting! :excitement:

Pauly, did you switch up your Taco Bells like you were thinking of doing? Maybe you don't want to do that now that there is such "hotness" there! :happy2:

Comment

The pic looked a lot clearer on my phone...but here is lefse made from five pounds of taters...only HALF of what we did today! I was at my cousin's house from 10:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m!

Interestingly, there was one other student. A customer from the store my cousin's son works at. Somehow, they got to talking, discovered each other was Norwegian, and he invited her over to learn how to make lefse! How cool is that?

As soon as I was finished, I drove to mom's house to deliver the freshest ever lefse she has ever had! She is Irish, but is a real lefse connoisseur.

Anyway, I am so glad I spent the day with my cousin and the other lady.

Comment

It's not just the food pic's is it Fen? such beautiful layers of stories behind them. x

Comment

Originally posted by paulywogg View Post
                  I had taco bell for breakfastit's my Friday treat,and the guy working was HOT,double treat!haha
                  Pauly, I expect a photo - food and guy - and a story, on my desk by next Friday :thanks:

Comment

Originally posted by myhappyplace View Post
                    It's not just the food pic's is it Fen? such beautiful layers of stories behind them. x
                    It really is, Happs. You know how much I love my cabin...but when my cousin offered to teach me how to make lefse, I really had to do it. I imagined my grandmother teaching my auntie how to make the very recipe we were making today. :heartbeat:

Comment

Originally posted by myhappyplace View Post
                      Pauly, I expect a photo - food and guy - and a story, on my desk by next Friday :thanks:
                      I agree. Pauly, you can't keep all the hotness to yourself!

Comment

Mango season. Once it starts, it doesn't stop until you are literally sick of them. We buy trays and freeze them to put into drinks, ice cream and have with salad. Today is not a day I have to do radiotherapy - yay - so no porridge, instead its mangoes for breakfast.

mangoes.jpg

Comment

Happs, those mangoes look so good...does your appetite go away when you have radiotherapy? Why no mangoes on those days?

Comment

I have a gigantic bag of frozen mangos my daughter gave me before she moved,think i'm gonna try some with vanilla protein powder in a smoothie,sounds good?tried it with cantaloupe once,it wasn't great,and i'm not sharing the taco bell guy haha
                            I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                            Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by paulywogg View Post
                              i'm not sharing the taco bell guy haha
                              Selfish! :friendly_wink:

I think the frozen mangoes would mix well with the vanilla stuff. Or vanilla yogurt for a smoothie drink.

Taking mama Fen mall walking to the fancy "West side" mall today, in order to visit the Williams Sonoma store for my fancy potato ricer. It's lefse season, but I called the store yesterday and they have plenty left.
                              I'm going to have to bundle her up from head to toe to get her out of the house- cold, dry air is bad for oldies with breathing problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X