G man the comeback!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Stirly.

Well, the session went well. I'm happy. It was relaxed, casual and useful. Nothing overwhelming about it. I enjoyed it all! lol. A myth is busted. The psychologist is old enough to be my daughter, and i was expecting or quietly believing that only someone mid 30's and up would be of any use. WRONG. This young woman is well trained, positive friendly attitude, sharp, engages real well and listens. We get on well. Then she throws back what i just said and we dissect that. No digging up where i was when i was 5, just where am i at now, and what's our plan. She said what i'm doing already would've been my homework i.e. meditating, exercise, breathing, doing something you love every day, but homework is 'get cozy with overwhelmed and tell me what you notice'. Very good.

She already has me wrapped around her little finger in a good way as i also find her geeky, cute and sharp as a tac, so i'll try anything she suggests as she has my respect. Next session in 3 weeks. 6 sessions overall with option for 6 more so see how we go. I am pleasantly surprised and delighted. Felt positive, hopeful, supported and confident walking out.

Day 46. Let's git it.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Yay Mr. G!! Just woke up a while ago - haven't even had my cawfee yet and this is the first thing I read. It put a huge smile on my face first thing in the morning. Am so happy for you that the session went so well. What a great way to start! You go Mr. G!!! Things can only get better from here on in. Day 46 and counting - :tenten:
      For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
      AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Top of the thursday morning reader.

Thanks Stirly. It's just another support tool i'm using. It also gives a little structure to my immediate future with another session in 3 weeks/every 3 weeks. Another little reason to be accountable and maintain my commitment. I'm thinking having a professional sounding board (who i feel relaxed with, trust and respect) will be a help.

Must be day 47 but i ain't one for counting!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

The best of the best of good mornings from a drizzly, rainy beach pad. Perfect beach running weather you know. No-one else around.

Must be day, i say day 47 but who's counting? My latest idea seems to be teaching english overseas. South east asia or south america. Plenty of demand they tell me. Might do a reconnaissance mission to vietnam, thailand, cambodia later in the year and check it out. A beachside gig might be fun. But i like the idea of mexico too.

Have a pearler out there.

Comment

When I find myself in times of trouble
            Mr Gman comes to me
            Speaking words of wisdom
            Let it be

The reason for the ditty Mr G, is that this morning I came across one of the wisest posts I’ve seen for a long time on MWO (or maybe it just spoke to me at where I am at the moment). I’ve spent so much time analyzing whether what we have is an addiction, alcoholism, a substance abuse disorder, yada yada yada, and today I finally understood that in the end it doesn’t really matter.

I hope you don’t mind me quoting you (will delete if so), but back in in the toolbox in November 2014, you said:

It's a classic for many of us to believe we are missing out on a treat when we stop boozing. For me, well......i love drinking and the feeling it gives me in the first hour or so. No doubt, it feels great. However, then comes the "bill"....the "cheque/check" that must be paid. The ferryman is always there, waiting for payment, and my payment is a session that began nicely enough, that soon enough went downhill into a depressing spiral of sadness and regret, that i carried with me for the whole of the next day, and often for days later. Soon enough i have gone from a well intentioned 'social' glass or 3, to searching desperately later that evening for an after hours grog shop to get booze to take home and finish the job. The only quick fix tomorrow for the depression being another drink, and so re-starting the vicious damaging cycle of self abuse.

I can continue to stick to this cycle, and drink more not less as the years pass, or i can choose to live happy and healthy, and learn my newest life saving lesson. The lesson being......'G man, if you decide to keep booze in your life and try to regulate it, you know it doesn't work. Why? Because for some reason, a part of you loves to get numb and turn your back on all responsibility and society. In fact Gman, part of you loves this idea so much, you are willing to make it a 24/7 lifestyle. So Gman, what do you want to do? Which path do you want to take?"

And at the end of the day Gman, that’s all that matters. It doesn’t matter how anyone categorises or analyses the way we drink or how or why. We all know deep down what our personal relationship with alcohol is, no matter how much we pretend otherwise. And if we use it for self abuse, or to get numb and turn our back on all responsibility and society so that we’re willing to make it a 24/7 lifestyle, then we aren’t living life the way we could be.

So thanks my lovely G - you've nailed it. :heartbeat:
            Last edited by Glass Half Empty; May 13, 2016, 02:33 PM.
            There's two ways of looking at the holes in your shoes
            You can dig the ventilation... or you can sing the blues

I didn't come this far to only come this far.

Comment

Yo W'dup!

Glad there was something of use amongst all my ramblings and waffle Classy Glassy! Thanks.

Day 48 and the feeling's gr8! Where are ya Marty?

This teaching english in another country lark has got me going. Have a bewdy out there. Know that anything is possible and burst the bubble. No more chains or shackles, no Sireeee.

Comment

Day 49 i hear 'em sing. Good morning. Sunday at the beach pad. A balmy but fresh 20C expected today. Wonder what the temp and chicks are doing in Istanbul at the moment. The pay's ok there for english teachers they tell me.

One thing that helps keep my head on straight is some sort of regular exercise. When i'm in the States, i always drop in and train with the brothers. Have a rippa.

YouTube

Comment

7 weeks good job!

Comment

G-Man...7 Weeks!! Congratulations!!

Lovely post, Classy Glassy! :-)

Comment

Great job on 7 weeks Mr. G.!!

Originally posted by Guitarista View Post

Thanks Stirly. It's just another support tool i'm using. It also gives a little structure to my immediate future with another session in 3 weeks/every 3 weeks. Another little reason to be accountable and maintain my commitment. I'm thinking having a professional sounding board (who i feel relaxed with, trust and respect) will be a help.
                      I meant to reply to this last week. After reading this from your post -
                      This young woman is well trained, positive friendly attitude, sharp, engages real well and listens. She said what i'm doing already would've been my homework i.e. meditating, exercise, breathing, doing something you love every day,
                      I had a thought - an analogy, if you will. Maybe corny, but this is what went through my head.... You've done a lot of work over the past while towards a healthier lifestyle and towards getting AL out of your life, including all of the above - meditating, exercise, etc. and now, going to therapy. In other words, you've laid the groundwork for your sobriety, built the frame and ordered the load of bricks. This young woman may just be the key that was missing. She may well be the one who will show you how to mix the mortar and cement those bricks together to build a permanent wall between you and AL. Something tells me you may have finally found that missing key. :victorious:
                      For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                      AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Maybe Stirly, maybe, thanks. Thankfully it feels fairly effortless and even fun at this point. I'm just pushing through regardless of whatever else may or may not be going on around me. Internally i'm keeping it together with a sense of calm, purpose and balance. Thank you Stirly. Hope all's well there with u and yours.

Thanks Rusty and Lex!

Comment

Morning from a cool and windy beach pad. day 51 but who's counting?

Malaga or Barcelona? Decisions decisions. You can throw in Portugal and Toikey too.

Have a few little assets i can sell that i won't need, plus looks like i should be able to withdraw some of my superannuation (Savings program employers have to contribute to for every employee) as back up funds should work not be forthcoming as quickly as i'm told. Clued up on my long stay visa requirements, but still a bit of research to do there. Preparation will be key. I don't want to be in a position where i'm thinking.....'sheesh, it's all too hard, let's have a drink and just book a ticket home' after 3 months. No fkn way will i allow myself such a wimpy option. Funds enough to stay for the long haul without making emotionally charged decisions. Just thinking aloud. See how long my enthusiasm for such an adventure lasts! :idea:

L8tr g8tr.

Comment

Fantastic, Mr. G!!! I say go with Barcelona! I loved Barcelona! So proud and happy for your 51 AF days!!

Love,

Rusty

Comment

Thanks Rusty. That's where i'm aiming for currently. I'm researching some back up countries to go and teach in just in case Barca is oversupplied with teachers. Other parts of Spain especially Andalucia beckon also! Orf to renew passport. Have a gr8 week.

Comment

New passport needed, old one expired so that'll be underway next paycheck. Needs to be valid for 6 months before ya can apply for a spanish student visa, so i'll be joining the jet set maybe this time next year. Doesn't look like i'll need to sell off assets like the gold fillings or latest euro sports toupe's either. :teatime::blahblah:

Comment

Working...
                                X