Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to avoid triggers when the biggest trigger is the clock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to avoid triggers when the biggest trigger is the clock?

I never wake up wanting to drink. Every day the thoughts start to roll in at 3 or so, and by 5, my thoughts are that I want to drink. To make matters worse, my hunger at that time also fuels my desire to drink. On the rare occasion I get through dinner without a drink, the desire seems to disappear. But I can't seem to make it to that time often. I also have struggled with a terrible fear of gaining weight, so no way will I add a meal at 3 in the afternoon. I know that May sound crazy to some of you, but the eating disorder controls me as much as the drinking obsession. Can anyone relate to me? If so, any suggestions?

Thanks

Hanna

the clock is a big trigger for me too Hanna, so I try to stay busy...it's tough
    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Ohhh yes, definitely Hanna! You are going to have to give in for a while and start eating instead. Try fruit... Anything as long as it isnt alcohol.
      Try bananas, pineapple, mango, strawberry... you get the idea.

Have you started listening to the Bubble Hour podcasts yet? Give it a try
      (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

what are the Bubble hour podcasts??

Comment

Originally posted by Hanna View Post
          what are the Bubble hour podcasts??
          http://www.thebubblehour.com/

Comment

I can relate to that and today for the first time in a while my cravings were gnawing at me while I was waiting to serve the stew I made. I was able to practice my `resting in the present moment` and watched the cravings come and go but it was hard tonight.

You can eat at 3pm even if it`s part of what you are eating for dinner. Try having a salad and then eat the main course at 5 or so. Do anything but drink. It takes a LOT of perseverance and dedication... Good luck.
            "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
            Lao-Tzu

Comment

Hi Hanna -I am so thankful that you brought this subject to the attention to all of us. In fact, I think that is a very critical subject to those who already have an alcohol problem or might soon be on the verge of having an AUD problem.

As many of us, who were in the late or final stages of AUD can testify to is this; food eventually becomes problematic to our need to drink. In fact, food becomes an obstacle and eventually becomes of non-use -at best. At least for me, food would rob me of my need to be high and stay high (or low), so, I eventually ended up choosing just not to eat. There exist scientific evidence for this reasoning and logic.

For me, I eventually had to change everything about me to quit drinking. But one thing that had to change was my eating habits and my exercise habits. I had to start eating earlier and exercising and then eat some more after exercising. One thing is sure for me, in the late afternoons, my body/mind was craving sugar and the quickest, most fun way to resolve my perceived problem was alcohol (beer for me). And of course, after having drank a few, my appetite would have all but disappeared. The brain/body connection does not initially recognize where you are getting the sugar/carb intake from -only that you get craving met.

Just a thought.
              SF

Comment

Hey guys-

Thank you so much for the replies. I will definitely check out the bubbles podcast although not sure what that's all about LOL. My issues with food preceded my issues with alcohol. But unfortunately at this point they play off one another. Spirit free, I'm not sure what a AUD is. I am actually a PhD psychologist who did my dissertation on eating disorders. But not familiar with that term. I can just say that I'm very obsessive compulsive about food. I am very structured and eat usually the same thing every day. Overall, thank God, it's a healthy diet for the most part. But I am very hungry before dinner and then really want to drink. And of course at that time of night the thoughts about drinking are very strong. You would think someone who is so calorie conscious would not drink but that is not the case. Anyway, I know I'm not the only woman out there who struggles with both issues. It is ironic, because people I know today see me as a very fit, healthy, 54-year-old woman. That's what I really want to be, but truthfully I am not. I am fit, my muscles are strong, I wear a small size. I look good on the outside. I worry incessantly about my inside. What a my doing to my liver? My blood pressure tends to run high in the past couple of years. Not even considering the emotional impact of what I am doing. Anyway, I can't be the only one with the double wammy of an eating disordered had an alcohol issue.
                I have all the knowledge. But no answers....

Comment

Hi Hanna,
                  My trigger time was also right after work. I got in the door and NEEDED to grab a drink....
                  There was the stress from the drive, problems at work, plenty of excuses .....

I found that it really helped to have a non-alcoholic drink, something club soda based. Club soda has zero calories so you can drink gallons if you want. I add cranberry juice, or even a splash of margarita mix.
                  Also a small snack, crackers or a handful of nuts helps with the hunger and making it to dinner time.....

Remember if you give up the alcohol, you are giving up lots of calories. If you replace some of those with the juice in your cocktail and the snack, you will probably still be saving calories.....

And of course, you will be saving your liver....and you kinda need that....
                  Kicked AL to the curb November 9, 2014!

Comment

A new page

Wow...so simple really, and so insightful. Thank you so much for this!

Comment

Oh by the way, I love diet 7up with a little cranberry juice.

Comment

I was afraid my weight would skyrocket after I quit because I was eating everything that wasnt nailed down. It didnt. I gained about 3 pounds AT FIRST, but over several months, I actually went on to lose 13 pounds overall. I was eating M&M's like I owned stock in the company. Then I developed a taste for chips! This is very common here, most (not ALL) lose weight in spite of eating more. We are so used to drinking our dinner that we dont know how to act when we get to eat! Now is not the time to worry about a couple pounds, they will come off over time. Just do whatever it takes to get thru this day AF! It also takes a while for your body to adjust from using ethanol for fuel to food. We didnt get here over night and it does take some time to work thru the isaues, but stay AF and the other stuff will work out! byrdie
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

hiya Hanna,just read your post all the way back from beginning...you manage no drink till roughly 3pm..then thats when the thoughts come in and also the hunger,so really there are 2 issues here..firstly to satisfy the body or to kid it on that you are full or not needing to eat ..the second is to curb the drink thoughts from then on in till 5...
                          firstly with the food....Im one of those people..I cant have one...gotta have the lot,now fruit I love,and would think nothing of eating 3 0r 4 apples at least a day,also grapes oranges and bananas..now bearing in mind that a decent apple has about 60 plus calories in it and an orange 80, that soon mounts up..they all contain sugars,the lowest and best for you is strawberries,but as I look out of the window into the snow cant see too many of them!!do you like veg?carrots celery or anything like that?if so why not make a few low fat dips and keep them in the fridge,then dip into them?there are loads of spices you can add to vary the taste..
                          also,as someone said drink soda ,or water..drink lots of it..it does fill you up..you might go to the toilet a bit more...but hey cant be bad.. flushing through the kidneys too!
                          then you have to train your mind about al...to change the state from "I need a drink"to I dont want one...that involves all sorts of things,especially in the early days,when the brain doesnt recognise dont want!! be creative,change your habits consider af drinks in the early days all sorts..be able to recognise the vulnerable times and how and what happens..put an individual strategy in for each one...but most of all stay focused.. you need a reminder to look at (diary wallchart big note on the fridge door some sort of thing like that with the days on it that you can colour in ,cross or tick off..something that is cumulative because the brain recognises that goal striving)to remind you what you are doing and why you are doing it...go for it and good luck
                          Last edited by Mick; January 29, 2015, 02:19 AM.
                          af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Hi Hanna,

Lots of us used L-Glutamine to help get through those early quit cravings, it works!
                            I developed sugar cravings, something I never had while drinking. Like Byrdie, I found myself eating way too many sweets. The L-Glutamine effectively curbs the cravings for sweets while you work on changing your habitual behaviors. Give it a try

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                            X