Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Started Naltrexone - would love for anyone else to join in !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started Naltrexone - would love for anyone else to join in !!

I started Nal the first week of Jan. I am already noticing a difference in my intake of AL. I had heard about it before but had never really learned about it - after reading Eskapa's book on Alcoholism, I decided to give the Nal a try. My doctor did prescribe it for me fortunately.

I had tried Topa - and actually quit for 8 months on that but had to stop it because of SE's. Then I went on Antabuse but that upset my tummy and could only take such a small amount that had to take it daily and often 'forgot' it .... so after reading the book, I really have high hopes for the Nal and am SO excited about it.

It would be really good to get a thread going here for those of us on it - I know that there is one from a fair while ago, but thought it would be good to get something current going - I also joined the TSM site but it is SO quiet compared to here !

I would love anyone on Naltrexone or using TSM to join in - it really is motivating to talk to others on it that it is helping. TSM is not a quick fix - but I decided that if I do not try it then in 6 months I will still be in the same problematic relationship with AL - so am giving it a try!

Hugs Sun xx
    How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

I know nothing about NAL, but I am here for you!
    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Originally posted by mama bear View Post
      I know nothing about NAL, but I am here for you!
      LOL Jan - you are so sweet!!!
      How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

hi Sun,

thanks for starting this - it's been a while since there was a thread with people actively doing TSM

for anyone not familiar with Naltrexone (or Nalmefene) & The Sinclair Method (TSM), here's some info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_Method

I've been doing TSM for about 10 weeks & am seeing my AL consumption coming down steadily. also, & more importantly, my thinking about AL is changing dramatically & I'm starting to see a real possibility of being able to drink moderately, or be AF - without cravings or white-knuckling - in the not too distant future

-badger

Comment

Hi Sunshine!! I wish you well on your journey keep us posted on your progress
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi there Pauly - nice to see you - I will keep you posted - so far I am surprised at what the Nal is doing - my intake has gone down and it seems, effortlessly ! I had heard about the Nal before but had never bothered to find out more about it as it didn't seem to work for many but you have to be really good about following the rule which is to take the pill an hour before drinking ! It is definitely doing something for me - and although it isn't a quick fix, I am hoping it will be a permanent one - I am so fed up with the old merry-go-round !

Badger - thanks for posting the link - I am so pleased to see that you are really noticing a difference - it is quite something I think ! This is the first time since I accepted that I had a problem, that I am really feeling hopeful about the eventual outcome !!

got to get ready for work,

Hugs, Sun xx

Comment

Well - week 5 with Naltrexone and my intake has gone down each week - slowly but surely. The first week it went down quite a bit and has stayed there - so it is still less than when I started it. I find it way easier to stop now after I have had a few - the nausea SE has gone as I make sure that I have food in my tummy before taking the tab.

Even though I am only going down a little bit each week, there is a definite trend - with no effort on my part and no struggling to NOT have another - I just do not want it. SO, it looks as if this might work finally ..... I just wish it would go faster but it took many years to get to this point so I am content to let it just work it's magic over a period of time .....

Sun xx

Comment

Hey sunny, quiet on the other threads, so I started reading other threads and happened upon this one. Very interesting. Was your doctor reluctant to give it to you? If it's so effective why is not more widely used I wonder. I would love to be able to drink limitedly. Do you live in the U.S. ?

Comment

Hi Liz - I just saw this. My doctor was fine with giving it to me - I can be persuasive when I need to be - LOL. The reason that it is not more common/popular, is that the docs do not understand that for it to be effective, one has to drink while taking it - most docs will not condone the drinking if you have a problem! They usually want you to abstain before taking it which is ridiculous - if we could do that we would not need to take it. It is slow - but it took me a long time to get to where I am and it doesn't harm me to take it - the golden rule is to take it one hour at least before drinking - you cannot drink without it or you undo the extinction work it is doing. My intake did go down the first week but this week has been about the same as last - maybe a couple of drinks more but there is a lot of stuff going on in my life right now that is stressing me out - not that that is any excuse but it is what it is.

I do have the PDF of the book if you would like to read it - I didn't understand it properly until I read the book and now am really willing to give it a go .....

Hugs, Sun XXX

P.S. Yes I am in USA

Comment

Working...
                  X