Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I'm about to be diagnosed chronic

Hi all,

I came on here b4 few years ago, I forgot my name so reregistered, I bought the book n stopped altogether for a month then was careful....

but like all others I slipped slowly back to my old self, doctor highlighted my bloods high triglycerates, n sent me for liver ultrasound, that was about 6 months ago n was diagnosed slightly fatty liver.

I abstained for a month, but just had bloods done again, n I have apt Monday but my tg up, and territin or something up, n I am ANA positive n my blood being hemochromotosin? tested, all these things after googling point to a chronic illness, but the one that pops up in every list is liver disease

So I suspect to be told on Monday n prob biopsy or something to confirm...

I guess ive stuffed it this time, I abstained all week b4 test too, but was my plan to finish off the few beers I have and couple bottles wine over weekend in preparation for permanent abstination on drs orders.

I think I will be able to stay off if doctor scares me like I think will happen.

I figure the last few this weekend wont really change things much, n will give me time to savour them and mentaly prepare for no more.

So what does chronic liver disease or schirrosis mean?

Am I going to die from this?

I'm 51 and always kinda liked a drink or eight,

I know its not repairable, but if I totally abstain, will it stop, or am I on the slippery slope to dying... gulp!

rgds

n worried

Nugget

Hi Nugget, don't get all freaked out until you see your doctor, also drinking all weekend will make your poor liver more taxed then it already may be,I hope everything goes ok
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by paulywogg View Post
      Hi Nugget, don't get all freaked out until you see your doctor, also drinking all weekend will make your poor liver more taxed then it already may be,I hope everything goes ok
      Thanks,
      not drinking all weekend though, just a few of an evening, to wind down to what I'm certain will be not good news.

Comment

Well it's not good. My father in law just passed away cirrhosis in November. But I hear that the liver us the most resilient organ and abstinence from alcohol along with healthy living...
        No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

There is no point in getting too anxious but you could see this as a wake-up call and a second chance at life. The doctor will advise. Although the liver is very resilient, its also a pretty damned serious part of the body. Probably you will be advised to abstain from AL. This happened to me and very very slowly my liver functions and other health indicators improved. But quitting AL was essential. No magic pills, or herbal supplements could help the poor old liver except ridding it of AL and giving it time to recover. Thats OK because I did a pile of my own psychological recovery as well.

Comment

Originally posted by treetops View Post
            There is no point in getting too anxious but you could see this as a wake-up call and a second chance at life. The doctor will advise. Although the liver is very resilient, its also a pretty damned serious part of the body. Probably you will be advised to abstain from AL. This happened to me and very very slowly my liver functions and other health indicators improved. But quitting AL was essential. No magic pills, or herbal supplements could help the poor old liver except ridding it of AL and giving it time to recover. Thats OK because I did a pile of my own psychological recovery as well.
            Well I am preparing mentally for complete abstination, I'm only drinking a few I have left over weekend so I have none left to be tempted with, but I'm sure after dr tells me to stop I will

Comment

Thats good and remember there is lots of support here on MWO to help you deal with your AL issues. You don't have to do this alone! Best wishes for the appointment as I know how scary this can be.

Comment

Originally posted by treetops View Post
                Thats good and remember there is lots of support here on MWO to help you deal with your AL issues. You don't have to do this alone! Best wishes for the appointment as I know how scary this can be.
                Thanks it is a bit unnerving. .
                I'll post my outcome

Comment

Hi nugget73! I just got the near same results from my doctor this morning. I have to go in for more testing tomorrow or Monday. I was wondering since a few days have passed what your results were? Maybe we can help each other out. My vice is Bacardi and Coke. I've been drinking since I was 16 and I just turned 50. The damage I've probably done to my body...scary.

Comment

Nugget. I agree with the general consensus here. Don't freak out. My liver enzymes were whacked for years while I drank. I was also diagnosed with fatty liver.6 months after quitting my liver function was normal. BTW up to the point of quitting for good I tried all the tricks including stopping drinking for three weeks before the tests but the results were always the same. Poor. Quitting was the only cure for me. If you like, try milk thistle. Research shows some positive results with liver function when taking milk thistle.
                    Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Fatty liver is totally reverseable, if you stop what's causing it, in your case al. My liver enzymes came down, as well, after abstaining, but it took awhile. Googling things will just make you crazy! Theirs too much info out there and not all of it is accurate. I have also heard milk thistle is good for detoxing the liver. Let is know what the doctor says. Please?

Comment

Any news Nugget and do you have a plan for dealing with this? Best wishes.

Comment

Working...
                        X