Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcohol and Dopamine

Just a thought from a newbie.

I have heard that alcohol induces the rush of dopamine, hence the addiction.

I had been trying to figure out all these deep dark reasons for my wanting to drink- emptiness, loneliness, fear of going to the babysitter as a toddler.

Now I wonder, maybe I just drink because I am chasing the dopamine high, which feels good and is what I am looking for when I drink at night.

Could it be as simple as that, instead of as complicated as many make it out to be?

Originally posted by Senin View Post
    Could it be as simple as that, instead of as complicated as many make it out to be?
    from a brain-chemistry point of view, that's a large part of it. one of the medications for alcoholism - Naltrexone - works on exactly this, by blocking the dopamine receptors in the brain & denying the brain the AL "high"

Comment

Senin,
      There are all sorts of resources in the Tool Box (link below). It MAY be as simple as that, but there is an awful lot more to it. Take a spin thru the Tool box for all sorts of information about it. All the best in recovery! Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

I had been trying to figure out all these deep dark reasons for my wanting to drink- emptiness, loneliness, fear of going to the babysitter as a toddler.

Now I wonder, maybe I just drink because I am chasing the dopamine high, which feels good and is what I am looking for when I drink at night.

Hi Senin -what a great question -"am I just chasing the.....?"

I don't think that you would be posting this question or wondering -if all was going great with alcohol in your life? Sounds almost like you might be at a stage where you can/could get a handle on some things and not have to continue down the Firewater addiction path?

For me Senin, alcohol could make me feel high and mighty; could help me feel calm and relaxed, could help me feel -xyz. In the end, alcohol ruled my life and I no longer had a choice. Check out the med section and other sections of this forum. SF

Comment

Good to see you Senin. Check this thread out friend. G

It came up in the Newbies Nest that it would be nice to have one place to store links to online videos, podcasts, movies, articles, etc. that we've found helpful. If this turns out to be a useful repository of links, perhaps we can ask RJ to consider making it a Sticky. Contributions welcome :happy2:!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
          X