• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope.
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

mornin folks..pologies foxy ...congrats on 4 moon well done..how are yizall?satzy ..you were saying everywheres shut ..that include poundland ..?was gonna go on a spendin spree
      af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Originally posted by mollyka
        that's hard indeed ---- but presumably the medical people think it's the best route to take? can you go and talk to someone yourself to clear things up in your head?
        Molly, she was born with little stubs on her right hand instead of fingers. X-rays showed that there is no bone in any of the stubs although there must be cartilage or something in her little thumb because she can use it to pull a lever or push a button on her toys. It is only a little more than a centimetre long but she still uses it okay. They want to give her the ability to clasp something with her thumb and forefinger by transplanting a bone from either the second or fourth toe on each foot and transplanting the one bone to the thumb joint and the other to the forefinger. That will mean that one toe on each foot will be half the length it would normally be, meaning she will have two oldd-looking feet, besides her little hand with the little stubs. The thing is, I don’t know if there is a joint in the forefinger. If not, then she won’t be able to bend the finger to clasp something using that finger and her thumb. So what’s the point of leaving her with two short toes if the outcome is not what they want as far as her fingers go? And then they will do a bone extension that involves cutting the bones that have been transplanted and inserting screws that have to be tuned a tiny bit every day. It’s a very painful procedure and it is to be done when she is about 4 years old. I’m just concerned that the doctors have convinced them that this is the way to go when perhaps the best thing is to just leave her as she is. She’ll learn to do things her own way. I’m going to have a talk this week with my son and ask him to answer all the questions that I have about the whole situation. Another thing is that the operations are not covered by their insurance plan and they are quite costly. Mr. Stirly and I will be covering the expenses but that is not the point. Paying out thousands of euro to fill a surgeon’s pocket when there is no guarantee if the surgeries will be successful and if she will actually be able to hold something with her thumb and finger is not my idea of a good plan....
        For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
        AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

What a dilemma,Stirls :hug:

I think I've told you before about a friend of the S&H..........his mate lost all the fingers on both hands (as well as his legs from the knees down).........from meningitis when he was 16/17................although the first few years were tough he now plays keyboard, guitar and drums in a band as well as having a degree in Journalism. I'm damned sure he'd be a lot happier if it hadn't happened but he's adapted to the situation with a courage and determination that would put most of us to shame.
          He's just one of the lads.

I'm not sure why I'm telling you this but perhaps its to show that any thing's possible.

But you're doing the right thing talking it through with them.
          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Hi Stirly nice to see you after so long. I hope you can all come to the right decision about your Grand daughter it is a tough one but hopefully a good outcome.

Comment

Well I'm off to hire a Rug Doctor.............I may be sometime.
              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
                What a dilemma,Stirls :hug:

I think I've told you before about a friend of the S&H..........his mate lost all the fingers on both hands (as well as his legs from the knees down).........from meningitis when he was 16/17................although the first few years were tough he now plays keyboard, guitar and drums in a band as well as having a degree in Journalism. I'm damned sure he'd be a lot happier if it hadn't happened but he's adapted to the situation with a courage and determination that would put most of us to shame.
                He's just one of the lads.

I'm not sure why I'm telling you this but perhaps its to show that any thing's possible.

But you're doing the right thing talking it through with them.
                They're trying to "correct" the "problem". My daughter-in-law was absolutely shattered that the baby was born that way. Still hasn't accepted it. I say leave her alone and sit back and watch her progress and see what she can accomplish. They think differently. Probably the best thing they could do right now is to have another baby to give her a brother or sister instead of disfiguring her toes to "hopefully"give her the ability to hold something with her right hand.
                Originally posted by foxybabe View Post
                Hi Stirly nice to see you after so long. I hope you can all come to the right decision about your Grand daughter it is a tough one but hopefully a good outcome.
                Good to see you, too, Foxy. Unfortunately, it's not my decision and once my daughter-in-law (and my son as well) has made up her mind about something, there's no changing it. We'll see what happens after I have a talk with my son. Hopefully we can have a calm discussion and he won't go on the defensive....

Comment

I think that is the problem, it's an expectation that the norm has to be good. A bit like when they tried attaching prosthetics to thalidomide victims. I watched a programme about this last year and it looked very painful.
                  I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Originally posted by YouKayBee View Post
                    I think that is the problem, it's an expectation that the norm has to be good. A bit like when they tried attaching prosthetics to thalidomide victims. I watched a programme about this last year and it looked very painful.
                    If they go ahead with it, the first step is three separate operations - one on each foot and one on her hand. A lot for a wee girly of just 18 months old. My greatest fear is that they will disfigure her feet and that the outcome on her hand will not be what her parents were expecting. Then they will be bashing their heads against the wall for sure and feel overwhelming guilt. And the second procedure is very painful - the bone extension. Feck. I don't even want to think about it.

Anyway, troopers, am headed home from the office. Maybe catch up with you later. If not, enjoy the rest of your day. It was lovely chatting with you....

Comment

Me !!!!

Comment

gimme one:rant:

Comment

Hi Stirls - sorry to hear about the little one- difficult decision for them :hug:

Foxy how are you this evening ?

Comment

I have clean carpets and a damp settee.
                            AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Originally posted by mollyka
                              tena-lady
                              :lmao2:

I wasn't that excited about getting a Rug Doctor.
                              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Any left over Easter eggs from the shop coming your way soon?
                                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Working...
                                X