Things that have helped me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things that have helped me.

2 years ago today was my day 1. I was in a bad place, not sure where this was going, not sure how long I'd be able to keep from drinking. I knew one thing. I could not continue on the was I was going.
    The first I learned to use was urge surfing. Learning that these urges do pass and how to redirect my mind into a different direction.
    Alcohol is a poison. I honestly did not know that. That it's the places you go, the times you have and the people you see and do these things with are whats important in life. The memories you make with the special people in your life is what's important, not some poisonous substance in a glass.
    All I have to do is make it through today. There have been times I've been frustrated, angry, exhausted, close to being over whelmed. But this has gotten me through these times. Breaking it down into smaller incriminates has really been valuable to me.
    That today and tomorrow are joined at the hip. What I do today will be reflected directly onto tomorrow.
    Play it through to the end. Think beyond that moment. How am I going to feel when I wake up in the morning. Usually at 3 AM if I go on a drinking binge. The huge anxiety I will feel, the dissapointment, the frustration with myself. This tool has kept me from drinking upon numerous occasions. And I've had drinking dreams just reflecting this. What a relief to wake and realize it was only a dream.
    The importance of community. I cannot do this alone, nor would I even want to. Alcohol has isolated me, not drinking has given me lifelong friends who understand the unique challenges of my life.
    The attitude of gratitude. It's not that I'm being forced to give up something but rather that I am choosing something bigger and better than a stupid, poisonous substance in a glass. Being grateful for all the wonderful things life has brought me because I choose to not drink.
    I am not powerless. I am only at the mercy of my addiction once I take that first drink. Not drinking that first drink is my super power. I am wonder woman on a mission and anything that gets in my way had better watch out. I will kick it in the butt in order to keep going forward.
    That you can only help someone that truly wants to be helped. I have shed a river of tears watching loved ones struggle with their addictions.
    That I am unique and special because I am a survivor. I have been to hell and have come out the other side. And I can tell the tale to help others make it through.
    That I will not drink NO MATTER WHAT. Drinking has never changed a bad situation, only made it worse. Nor has it ever made a great time better, only changed what was suppose to be the best of times into the worst.
    Well, there are probably more, but these are the things I use on a daily basis.
    Please add any of your own to this thread.
    Last edited by little beagle; April 24, 2015, 08:50 PM.
    No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

What a great thread LB. thank you for sharing your experience. It helps us all.

--sf--

Comment

Bravo, L'il B! It's people like you who tell their tales, and share their success that help me walk this AF road.

Thank you! :thumbsup:

Comment

Whoot!

Comment

Well done Little Beagle! I am almost at 4 years of being af and I still use the tools today. When urges hit I take it ODAAT. There are still times that I want to have that 1 drink, but I know that if I take that drink what would happen next and thats not what I want to do. I know I would be disappointed in myself and I would have more then that 1 drink. I don't know when and if I will have another quit if I fail now so I just won't put myself in the position to fail. When I do go out (which is rare these days) I only go out with friends who know I don't drink and only when I am not going through any doubt that I could do it. If I am craving beer, I just would stay home, which has not happened yet and I know that I can go out and not drink.
          I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
          X