Benefits of being sugar free?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benefits of being sugar free?

I think most people here who have quit alcohol acknowledge that in many cases, allowing yourself to eat sweets helps to address at least one part of the cravings that come along early on. Well, I did that, and more than a year later, I am still having daily treats. Whether it's ice cream, cookies, chocolates, or all of the above! I was thinking about it yesterday and I think it's becoming a little bit out of hand. I wasn't eating too much, it was pretty controlled with a small portion each day but lately, I've been going a little overboard and having large portions or multiple things each day. And now I am really craving that treat every day/more than one time a day. I think it's time to cut this out!

I am being a little lazy and for the moment, not doing my own independent research on this topic. I know there are at least a few folks here who are proponents of reducing sugar in the diet (No Sugar...ahem...I assume you are one?!) :happy2: What are the benefits of doing this? I think knowing the downsides of having too much sugar in the diet, along with positives of cutting it out, will help me address this. Can someone give me a summary of their understanding of this? I am not overweight (not yet, anyway!) so weight loss will not be a driver for me at this point.

Hi, Frances - you probably don't want to get me started :wink:. There is a great deal of information and some helpful books and links in this thread: https://www.mywayout.org/community/sh...enge-Who-is-in. All the best, NS

Comment

Hi frances,

For me sugar is one of those addictive substances that I can't moderate very easily. I always find that one chocolate leads to another and another and maybe another until hey presto the whole packet is gone.
      I suppose it's a question of balance. I could try to satisfy my sweet tooth via fruits or limit myself to a certain number of sweets per day, but because I'm early in the quit I'm cutting myself some slack at least for a month or so until the cravings are more manageable. However I am determined not to substitute sugary snacks long term. I know if I can get on top of AL I'll be able to get on top of the sugar but one thing at a time! Ask me again in a couple of months and I'll have a plan :-)) Many in the medical world view sugar in the diet as more damaging than fats, especially for heart disease. There is an increasing amount of evidence to support this. I agree. I think it's time to cut out the sugar. You know you can Fran! :-))
      K
      Sobriety is its own reward

Comment

Hey Frances- although I continue to struggle being sf, if I look at the big picture I am doing quite well since October. I had some small stubbles, but the best thing about it for me is I truelly notice I am, with time, less and less anxious.
        I have also been able to tackle a huge problem of anxiety eating in the night. Being sugar & alcohol free has lifted the fog so to speak, and allowed me to tackle other anxiety causing behaviors. So, yes stopping sugar has been a worthwhile effort I plan to continue.
        I have also started a yoga and meditation practice that really helps on many levels.
        And, yes I have lost some weight and a lot of puff if you know what I mean? Feeling a lot healthier these days.
        (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Originally posted by Kairos View Post
          Hi frances,

because I'm early in the quit I'm cutting myself some slack at least for a month or so until the cravings are more manageable. K
          This was my approach too, but unfortunately, it has lasted quite a bit longer than I intended! Well I guess acknowledging the problem is the first step!

Comment

Originally posted by Kairos View Post
            Many in the medical world view sugar in the diet as more damaging than fats, especially for heart disease. There is an increasing amount of evidence to support this.
            I read an article the other day about this: http://www.docsopinion.com/2015/05/0...heart-disease/

Comment

Sugar makes me feel shitty! I recently let regular soda back in after being scared off of the diet stuff and I tell you, it's made me crave sweets like crazy! Before I used to crave salty stuff, now I want a donut in the morning and ice cream, or cookies after dinner, it's totally not like me,gonna have to formulate a plan
              I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
              Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by NoSugar View Post
                I read an article the other day about this: http://www.docsopinion.com/2015/05/0...heart-disease/
                It's a complex topic and there's also the added complication that we alcoholics have a high chance of being insulin resistant and that usually progresses into type 2 diabetes, which increases your risk of developing cardiovascular disease, kidney dysfunction, nerve damage and loss of vision. So all in all, given out history with al avoiding sugar is the next step in regaining health.

So you've got me thinking Frances and Pollywog. I will have to monitor the sweet stuff very carefully.

Good luck
                K
                Sobriety is its own reward

Comment

Wow! This thread is coming to me at exactly the right time. Like some of you, I gave myself the gift of sugar to help avoid AL in the beginning of my quit. From there it's really taken off. I've had a few conversations with NS about this. BTW... She is a wealth of information on this topic. I still have a lot of work to do to get that white poison out of my life but it has to be done. I almost feel as bad about eating sugar as I did about drinking AL. Not so much the act of eating it but the feelings I have about it. It feels just like my cravings for AL and that scares me. Today is 365 days AF for me and now it's time to seriously get this sugar thing under control!

Thanks for starting this thread Francis. If you want a quit buddy for this SF journey, I'm game!

PS.... This sugar thing has added 7 lbs to this old girl and I won't have it!!

Comment

You sound like you've researched the topic pretty throughly, Kairos. I'm pretty sure the wine (which can wreck havoc on your blood sugar) was a major contributer to my becoming insulin resistant and hyperglycemic. I don't have the other risk factors that we typically associate with type 2 diabetes so I was able to (sort of) fool myself for awhile. I improved my glucose metabolism greatly by getting rid of the sugar and simple carbs a few years ago but of course that didn't touch the swings caused by wine, which often triggers low blood sugar, even in "normal" people.

I borrowed a blood glucose monitor from a diabetic friend and found it really illuminating to see how large the variation in my blood sugar was, depending on what I ate. Sometimes I didn't even feel it physically when it was too low (and almost no one feels it when it is too high unless it kind of revs you up before the crash) . I ended up buying a glucose meter. They are cheap on Amazon and even the test strips aren't bad. It makes it easier to give something up when you have a metric to show you what it is doing to you, in addition to paying attention to how it makes you feel.

See, Frances, this it a topic I'm a little overly interested in for most people's taste...:wink:

Comment

Anyone ever come across an ex drinker that didn't have a sweet tooth? I haven't!
                      AF since January 7, 2014 *Never, never, never give up. ~ Winston Churchill*

Comment

Nope but i do notice that if I eat a lot of sugar/candy the urges ramp up significantly.
                        So I am really trying to get of sugar too. Easier said than done.
                        Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger999 View Post
                          It feels just like my cravings for AL and that scares me. Today is 365 days AF for me and now it's time to seriously get this sugar thing under control!

Thanks for starting this thread Francis. If you want a quit buddy for this SF journey, I'm game!
                          Ginger - this is how I feel lately - like I'm craving sweets the same way I used to crave alcohol. That just doesn't seem healthy to me. I'll read up on why sugar can be so bad for you...thanks all for the references and feedback everyone. I can't say I'm ready just yet to commit to being sugar free but I will let you know if and when I do decide to seriously do this!
                          Last edited by frances; May 4, 2015, 11:40 AM.

Comment

From a drug treatment center:http://www.promises.com/articles/alc...gar-addiction/,
                            the popular press:
                            http://authoritynutrition.com/10-sim...ods-and-drugs/,
                            and a more scientific take on it:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/

Comment

Hi - I have done the Dr. Hyman 10 day detox and it takes away the cravings within 3 days. It is a very similar process to stopping drinking. It is all about how we think about it. There is alot of self nurturing in this 10 days, alot of self awareness and alot of change.

The community support is very helpful as well. Similar to here. But there is a cost. If you do it on your own, it is possible, but not as motivating. (for me anyways).

I am not perfect at this - but I would say I am 95% sugar free and do not crave it. I do slip and want it sometimes as such and such looks good.... but it is not a craving.

Just lots of real, non processed, healthy food.

Comment

Working...
                              X