Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question for those who found mwo in the last 6 months.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question for those who found mwo in the last 6 months.......

For the newest members, how did you find MWO? I wonder what 'searches' we are appearing in?

It seems as if new folks are not finding us like they did in the past. Can you tell us what you put in your search engine that listed MWO? Thanks for your input! Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Byrdie, I don't notice the big drop in traffic & newcomers that I heard reported in yesterdays (now 1/2 deleted) debacle on G's thread. Am I missing something? I wonder who's noticing, where, how and when. I may be wrong, let me know what you think, I believe I notice a greater number of quits sticking/ and higher number of days. By a lot. (could be my subjective view?)

Based on the fact that spam was a big problem and changes were put in place to address that, if volume is down, that would stand to be a reason why. Also I don't know how much is view-able without upgrading to a paid subscription.* In terms of what comes up when folks do a search on the internet, I'm not a big fan of the fact that post content comes up if the search terms apply. It seems a little contradictory to the fact that you have to pay to get in, but once you do, anything you write is open to the public if the search terms apply. Regardless, I am very grateful for the site and have not found anything that is comparable.

*On that subject I recently discovered that I was being charged for 2 subscriptions beginning last January. Kelly Strong corresponded with me on how to cancel one of them- but I have no idea how that happened. I haven't heard any word back re: being credited for the duplicate charges. I believe it was 2 of them so totaling around $60. One membership was being billed at a slightly different rate (by pennies).
    Last edited by jane27; May 8, 2015, 04:13 PM.
    AF since January 7, 2014 *Never, never, never give up. ~ Winston Churchill*

Comment

Jane, 6 years ago when I sat down at my computer in disgust, I searched 'How to stop drinking'. MWO appeared in the first few listings, on the first page. Today when I search that, MWO appeared on page 15. When I searched alternatives to AA, MWO didnt appear in the first 20 pages. When I searched ' How to drink moderately' there was nothing after 10 pages (i stopped looking) rarely do I go past the second page when I am searching for something.
      It takes money to be associated with these key word searches. I imagine the lack of resources has affected that.
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Originally posted by jane27 View Post
        Byrdie, I don't notice the big drop in traffic & newcomers that I heard reported in yesterdays (now 1/2 deleted) debacle on G's thread. Am I missing something? I wonder who's noticing, where, how and when. I may be wrong, let me know what you think, I believe I notice a greater number of quits sticking/ and higher number of days. By a lot. (could be my subjective view?)

Based on the fact that spam was a big problem and changes were put in place to address that, if volume is down, that would stand to be a reason why. Also I don't know how much is view-able without upgrading to a paid subscription.* In terms of what comes up when folks do a search on the internet, I'm not a big fan of the fact that post content comes up if the search terms apply. It seems a little contradictory to the fact that you have to pay to get in, but once you do, anything you write is open to the public if the search terms apply. Regardless, I am very grateful for the site and have not found anything that is comparable.

*On that subject I recently discovered that I was being charged for 2 subscriptions beginning last January. Kelly Strong corresponded with me on how to cancel one of them- but I have no idea how that happened. I haven't heard any word back re: being credited for the duplicate charges. I believe it was 2 of them so totaling around $60. One membership was being billed at a slightly different rate (by pennies).

Jane
        funny, a couple months ago my subscription was suddenly cancelled out of the blue.
        Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

put "I want to quit drinking" into google....5 pages later still not come up....even bypassed by something called I want to quit drinking soda!!
          af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Yes, Mick, MWO isn't appearing at all, and it used to pop up in the first listing or two. In fact, we had a member quit posting on here because it appeared in so many searches and she feared for her anonymity. So "How to drink drinking soda" appears before MWO? Interesting! Thank you for checking that...nice to know it's not just my way of searching that didn't produce any results. B
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Originally posted by Samstone View Post
              Jane
              funny, a couple months ago my subscription was suddenly cancelled out of the blue.
              How did you handle that? I had to log into Paypal to cancel one of the two....and now I lost my "pencil" subscriber icon. : (

Comment

As for the search options... I sent a white paper to RJ about boosting your searchability using vBulletin (that's what this site is) and never heard back. There are ways to make it reach the top of a search again without buying Google adds but I don't think that was ever done.

I've never joined officially. I just send a donation every few months that equals the member ship. Unfortunately, I don't get the "pencil" icon but I'm okay with that. I hate autopay anything. This works better for me.

Comment

Originally posted by jane27 View Post
                  How did you handle that? I had to log into Paypal to cancel one of the two....and now I lost my "pencil" subscriber icon. : (
                  Did you try:
                  Kelly Strong <mywayout.helpdesk@gmail.com>
                  Kelly is GREAT, she will get right back to you. B
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Yea Byrdie. She still hasn't gotten back to me about crediting me for the double charges. I originally had problems when I first got a subscription and didn't get the little pencil icon (my pencil envy phase). Maybe that's where the duplicate membership got created (in an attempt to fix the no pencil icon issue). I think I'm just going to her it be. I sent her all the details, so if she can help I'm sure she will. xo

Comment

jane27, I'm not a paid member and I can see all of the posts. I thought I'd add that since it hasn't been addressed.

Comment

Curious that no new members have responded to the original question on this thread

Comment

FYI, I just searched Amazon books with the phrase "stop drinking" and the MWO book did not come up. It is still available when I searched the title, and lots of books including ones on moderate drinking came up, but not this one. That was how I initially found this site.
                          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Originally posted by kronkcarr View Post
                            jane27, I'm not a paid member and I can see all of the posts. I thought I'd add that since it hasn't been addressed.
                            Kronkcarr, Thank you- I got confused and was thinking about the inability too see posts without logging in. My bad!

Comment

Byrdie, I used to worry about my anonymity. MWO was so popular back in the day that I could find my posts on the first page. It was terrifying This was before I was honest in my real life. Tonight, I gave it a test - Googled one of my old posts - a very unique title - scrolled to page 10 before I gave up. So newbies don't need to worry about that. I know I did in the beginning. Not sure that's good. But it is what it is.
                              Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Working...
                              X