Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sobriety. There should be a better word.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sobriety. There should be a better word.

This one conjures images of tight-lipped judges wearing black robes and curly powdered wigs, perched uncomfortably on hard wooden benches while looking down their long noses at the rest of us as they contemplate serious matters like tax rates and hemorrhoids.

Yuck!

I was thinking about this word the other day, and it occurred to me that we need a better description of what it's like to cast off the heavy bonds of AL addiction and really live. Yes, playing around with words can seem a little silly. But, words are powerful. I can't tell you how many times I've clung to a word or phrase or simple idea during rough times. Maybe a pithy idea is just what someone out there needs to get through a tough moment.

So, can you sum up your transformed new AF existence in a word or idea? Here are some of mine (yeah, they're kinda' lame -- hoping you can do better):

Undrunkification

Destuntedness

Unnumbedification

Dropping the reins and living life at a full gallop

Also, as a binge drinker, I had a notion of the "Friday night me" versus the "Tuesday morning me." Wanting to be the unhung, back to normal, Tuesday morning self more of the time eventually helped lead me to a real quit.

What's your term for where we are?
    "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Hummm. Two words come to mind, one I stole. It's Alco-Hell. That sums up a lot right there, and the other one is my word, MindPeace.
    UnWasted is also a good word. B
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

I just watched a great TED talk, the opposite of addiction is connection, not sobriety . Connection enables and replaces addiction.http://www.ted.com/talks/johann_hari...ction_is_wrong
      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

That video fits with the words that popped into my head, Sunbeam - Alive and Present. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Unchained
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Unhungover is what I came up with.
            I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Sorry i beg to differ. I don't have a problem at all with the word sober or sobriety. It's a word that's been around in the English language for centuries and it's not just associated with the opposite of being drunk or wasted. Use whatever works for each person. It's a term I choose to reclaim for my state these days. And I am not an AA or religious person

Comment

Interestingly, sober doesn't necessarily mean AF, just that a person didn't drink too much. So, it actually is too permissive of a word for some here (and it does have the 1.1 meaning that doesn't seem all that fun).

Not affected by alcohol; not drunk.

1.1Serious, sensible, and solemn:a sober view of life; his expression became sober

1.2Free from alcoholism; not habitually drinkingalcohol:I’ve been clean and sober for five years

1.3Muted in color:a sober gray suit

Comment

Sunbeam I love 'Connection'!

It sums up perfectly how I feel, a new connection with life, my DH & my freedom.

That'll be my new word.

Thank you
                  I can not alter the direction of the wind,

But I can change the direction of my sail.

AF since 01/05/2014

100 days 07/08/2014

Comment

Working...
                  X