Home again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home again

I want to thank my friends here who have encouraged me to come back to MWO. I have missed you all so much. I never intentionally left MWO. It was nothing like that. I just needed a break. My posts were becoming unhelpful, and at times confrontational. We don't need that. So,I decided to take a deep breath, and not post again until I had something of value to say.

I wish I had some great words of wisdom, but as usual, that's not the case. But I did learn a thing or two. I learned that I was spending so much time on the computer, that I had failed to re-engage with life. It was so safe here. And, I encourage any newbie to do exactly that. I couldn't have gotten strong enough to take the next step without the support of people here. But for me, it was time. Getting sober was one thing, but taking it offline was another. So I decided to give it a shot. Kind of like a test drive. I was so scared, but it's been wonderful. In the last month, I bought my first new car since 1977. Just lovely. I also took my first vacation in almost 15 years. It was a blast. I reconnected with some old friends. And have been more present for the people who have been in my life all along. It wasn't as hard as I had imagined it would be.

I still have had to maneuver some tricky situations, but I'm becoming more accomplished at it. I'm doing good. I only hope that all my friends here are doing just as well. It's nice to be home again.
    xx, Moss
    Everything is going to be amazing

MR -- it's so good to hear from you and that things are going well! Stop by for a visit anytime. And I agree, life is awesome sober!
    Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

Hey, Moss Great to see you here and especially wonderful to hear you're doing well. You've been missed. xx

Comment

Nice to see you Mossy! Cool post. X

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Great to see you MR. I do not remember you being confrontational. I do know how we are with issues is the issue. Be well , be healthy. Welcome back!
          Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Moss!
            Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
            Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
            Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

You know I thoroughly understand!
              I moved my desktop into a common area of our house to try and limit my internet time.
              It worked.
              We do have to step away a bit and start to interact.
              I think it is great you stay connected here snd start to venture out too. It is both necessary for me. Even talking about my not drinking with my husband has become a non- issue.
              Mostly because he now sees how much better off I am with a cup of herbal tea.
              I am now able to be conscious about my anxiety. I have a new hurtle too. How to get him to bugger off when I need to be alone?
              Gotta work on that one. Glad your back Moss!
              (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Great to see you Moss, and I'm so happy to hear you doing well.. I look forward to having you around more!

Comment

Hi MR, missed you and i am so glad to know you are doing well. You are a special part of MWO always.
                  AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Thanks all for the warm welcome back. I realize that when someone disappears from MWO, it is never a good sign. This was different. I was just getting cranky.

Eloise - I'm glad you understand what I am saying. I work at a software company so I stare at a screen 40+ hours a week. Then I was coming home and between my online classes, bringing work home, and MWO, I was spending my entire evenings in front of the computer until I went to bed. I started to feel unhealthy, lonely, and out of touch, if that makes sense. My counselor asked me to give it a rest, and I took her good advice.

I didn't touch a computer once during my vacation - no checking work emails as I normally would - and I noticed that I started feeling better. Of course, it took an entire day to sift through them when I returned to work, but it was so worth it. So I have made a vow to limit my computer use during my off hours, to stop bringing work home, and to take more vacations!!!

I also have been very busy with family obligations. My brother is hanging on, but barely, so I am focused on helping my parents get through this. But the biggest change is that a long-term friendship has turned into a romance. It's complicated by distance, but that may be a good thing. It forces us to move slowly, but I am optimistic about the future. I have been honest with him, and he hasn't run away. So that's a good sign!

That catches you up on my life. Now, I need to get busy catching up on what is going on with all of you. Looking forward to it.
                    Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Hi Moss, Nice to see you!

Comment

And guess what I did this evening Moss? I checked in here from the tennis club!
                        A sober first for me. I was watching my husband play and it got lomg. Important thing is I was out in the world and not hiding out at home. And it was just a few minutes, enough to remind me what is important.
                        And they had a beer after playing and I joined with a cup of tea.
                        I admit I imagined the old me having a couple of glasses of wine while they played.
                        So glad that isn't me anymore!
                        Last edited by Eloise; July 19, 2015, 03:55 PM.
                        (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Hi Moss -as you said, long-time no see. Great to hear that you are doing well and very cool to see you back making a post.

Moss, I too find myself sometimes addicted to the digits on the screen. I do try to take time to stay away from the computer/gadgets, etc., but it can sometimes be difficult -until I really stay away for a day or two.
                          Also, you are exactly right about the assumptions that we all make when someone leaves an organization, forum, etc. -especially when related to alcohol. I do my very best to not think that a (the) person has gotten back into problems with the firewater. Truly, I now try to think and believe that a person who moves on from this site has just decided to move on with their life(ves). I do not believe that many of us on this site joined this because we were bored and had nothing else to do -lol. Instead, it is my opinion that most of us come here to this -MWO- site as a result of the pain brought to us from alcohol and possibly the fact that we do not necessarily want to join 12 step type of group -but we know that we have to find a WAY OUT.

Regardless Moss, I am glad to see you back and it sure sounds like a lot of folks are glad to see you back as well.

--sf--

Comment

well hot dam! wondered where you wandered off to.... so glad you wandered back
                            Sam
                            Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Working...
                            X