No announcement yet.

Dedicated to the quit we love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Admitting that you've struggled with alcohol is a lot less shameful than it used to be. But despite huge strides in pop culture and science, coming clean still isn't always easy. In the realm of difficult things to talk about, admitting that you're a recovering alcoholic probably falls somewhere between "I'm a Wiccan" and "I'm a serial killer" on the shameful-revelation scale. After all, alcoholism is a disease, according to the American Medical Association, like diabetes or arthritis—a painful but treatable illness. Except, of course, that alcoholism is different. People don't tend to shy away when you tell them you have arthritis.

And for those who get sober through AA, they have to face the inevitable Cult Question: “Don’t you have to believe in Jesus and hold hands and give money?” well-meaning friends will ask. The unavoidability of these questions means that a big part of the process of coming out as a recovering alcoholic for 12-steppers can be explaining what, in fact, Alcoholics Anonymous actually is. Yes, it’s a spiritual program, but no, it’s not religious. Yes, members donate money to AA, but it’s totally optional (and nobody could argue that a dollar or two per meeting breaks the bank). Sure, there’s hand holding in the meetings, but not always and you don’t have to participate if you’re uncomfortable. Many AA members find the easiest way to explain the program to so-called normies is to just invite them along to an open meeting. Once families and friends can see that it’s not even remotely like a cult, they may even find themselves enthusiastic about the program they once judged as being just south of Scientology.

Perhaps even trickier than coming out to friends and family is announcing to colleagues that you’re in recovery. How will they treat you now, will you lose your job, or be looked over for a promotion? That is best left up to the individual and his/her circumstances at work.

The great news is that we live in a recovery-saturated time, where watching celebrities in treatment on television and reading addiction memoirs is the norm; as a result, alcoholism and addiction doesn’t carry the stigma they once did. But that doesn’t mean it’s always easy or comfortable to admit you’re in recovery. The first defense against misunderstanding is discretion. Then, with a big dose of courage, and a good sense of humor, the process can feel like a liberation instead of a death sentence."

I don't have a problem with telling people why I don't drink. I don't say "I'm an alcoholic" my usual line is "the booze was starting to take control and I wanted that control back" It took time for our circle of friends to realize that I was serious about this, but now they keep Coke stocked in the beer fridge just for me! That would have only happened if I came clean about my problem..
    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

PURPOSE OF THREAD:

• Weekly discussions: A single topic relative to abstinence will be the primary focus for discussions
      • Sharing positive experiences relative to abstinence or becoming abstinent
      • Comments and sharing about all other previous topics (or new topics any poster wants to bring up)

The thread is meant to be "all" inclusive -meaning that no one should refrain from posting for any reason (other than posts to create turmoil). Of course this is only interpretation of this thread and I believe that has the ability to be a long running, active, participatory, helping kind of thread .

WEEKLY DISCUSSION: WEEK 01
      • TIPS AND TRICKS THAT CAN HELP AVOID RELAPSE

WEEKLY DISCUSSION: WEEK 02
      • KEEPING BOREDOM AT BAY

WEEKLY DISCUSSION: WEEK 03
      • FIGHTING OFF CRAVINGS
      • **(Added Topic): WHEN IS SUPPORT NOT REALLY SUPPORT

WEEKLY DISCUSSION: WEEK 04
      •LETTING/TELLING OTHERS THAT YOU NO LONGER DRINK

Comment

DO I LET OTHERS KNOW THAT I DO NOT DRINK OR THAT I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ALCOHOL?

This just happens to be a very difficult thought and question.

Why?

There are many reasons why it is so very difficult to even carry on this conversation with friends and family and others:

• Most of us feel shame and guilt that we allowed a substance that made/makes us feel mentally better (short term) and abused the substance.
        • Morally speaking: many people are quick to judge someone who they believe to be just living a life of fun and leisure; they can not relate the abuse to a true mental brain disorder.
        • Many of us have the utmost fear that others will think much less of us if we actually admit that we have an alcohol problem
        • Many times, you -yourself do not realize that you have a mental disorder and you (we) feel that we must hide this disorder in order to be acceptable humans.
        • Those that do not have an AUD problem (aprox 69% of the population) will judge in a negative light because they are unable to understand the disease.

So, what do you say in those situations where you are offered a drink and refuse, or when you are asked why you do not drink anymore?

Simple -if you will let it be simple: (possible answers)
        -1: I now get sick when I drink even one
        -2: I am allergic to chemicals that contain alcohol -what a bummer
        -3: I want to feel good in the morning and alcohol does not allow that for -whether I drink one or ten
        -4: My brain has an adverse reaction to alcohol and I am concerned that it is getting worse the more that I drink
        -5: I am an alcoholic with a brain disorder relative to alcohol and its consumption. I am trying my best to reverse the damage and I need your help to keep your mouth shut and not tell others why I am not drinking
        -6: Alcohol was beginning to kill me and I had to quit.

All situations will require different answers, but the easiest answer is that I now get very sick when I drink alcohol. Chances are that those who continue to ask you this question have a problem of their own and will probably one day seek you out to ask for your help in quitting themselves.

--sf--

Comment

I mostly don't tell this to people. I don't hang out with drinkers. If someone offers me a drink, I tell them it irritates my stomach. When eating out I order lemonade. I don't know anyone who would push me to have a drink.
          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Originally posted by abcowboy View Post

So should a MWOer be giving fellow MWOers a real kick up the arse by telling them that such repetitive behaviour is not good for them and maybe they need to get help?
            If you are reading this, what would you like after continuous 'slips', a pat on the back and another "keep trying", or a kick in the butt and a "no more excuses!"
            Hey y'all.

Abc, for me, I believe a discussion about what the relapser has learned from the experience and what plan/tools will they put in place to use next time. An examination/dissection of the event I reckon is the way to approach it. This process helps me at least. And it can be a long process as we know.

Have a gr8 weekend everyone.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

I know technically that this thread is onto the next topic...but I just wanted to share anyways...
              Cowboy - you had asked what MWOs role is...I don't know how to answer that question...but I do want to say that what you had written the other day made sense. I get it...
              I enjoy coming here...MWO has been instrumental in my staying sober...meeting wonderful people like you and for the unconditional love and support we receive even when we do slip up from time to time (or all the time).
              I used to post back in 2012 a lot on Sober Recovery - a huge forum with a lot of people...a lot of supportive people for sure (although oftentimes the whole AA thing was pushed upon me hardcore)...and then it got to the point where people got sick of me posting and slipping and stopping and slipping and drinking and stopping...so I definitely got "tough love" there...to the point where it made me "run away"...some of the comments were mean, to say the least...not supportive at all...but it was reality...back then though, I didn't want to face reality...so I said "f**k that!" and left and continued on my merry way...then I came here...the support I got helped me tremendously (I had 8 months last year!)...but I slipped up...still got support...but eventually when I kept slipping up people weren't interested in what I really had to say anymore...they got it, sure, because they are addicted too...but I guess it was just a triggering subject when I continuously came back and said I went back to drinking, I hate it, blablabla, I want to change...but it was hard for me to do so...
              I still go back to SR...just to lurk and read and learn...that tough love taught me that this is life...words are empty without action.
              MWO taught me...that I have people in my corner, that get it...and sure, they will get disappointed...but I don't want to disappoint these people anymore I don't want to come back here and say "I slipped up again"...with my tail between my legs, I'm sick of that feeling.
              I get it when people do. Gawd, I was there for the last 5 years! I can't count on both hands how many times I stopped and started up.

I hope this is making some sort of sense.
              Tough love made me run away...because I didn't want to face my reality...looking back, were some of the comments hurtful? Sure...but that's life...and I'm not going to like everything I hear...
              But what was worse was when people didn't bother listening anymore...or rather they might have read...but I think grew tired...I get it...
              So...therefore, both the tough love...and the unconditional support from some really helped me to make my final decision 33 days ago..

I think that we can all *handle* tough love...it is coming from a place of caring after all...it just depends on where we are at in our journey's in our own lives. Everyone is different...so it depends on the individual and how they are feeling...it isn't black and white...so I may be at a point where I could handle it and see the message behind the words...but then there are some that are going through things...where they might not be able to see it...or don't want to see it...or so badly want to see it...but are completely lost.

We just need to help each other along...
              Support...no matter what sort of package it comes in...pushes us a little farther...it may be uncomfortable...but no words that are spoken to us are lost upon us no matter how mean, loving, caring, rude, shocking they may be.

I don't know where I'm going with this, except that I get it. What everyone is trying to say...
              If people don't want to listen, they won't...they'll get it one day. I know that I did...
              All we can really do is be there for each other...I guess that's why I like MWO.

Comment

Some great comments from everyone, and my topic of support did what I wanted it to do, get people thinking about the support they need, and ask for it rather than isolate. I don't always know what kind of support different people need, so I go with what I think is best in each situation, if my guess is wrong, I'll hear about it lol. Just remember, I shoot from the hip, don't hold back any punches, because I truly believe that if someone like me can get and stay sober, everyone can!

Edit to add, Bri I think you said more in your post as to what I was trying to get across.... as in the "boy who cried wolf" Does the point ever come when people just stop listening, stop caring? For me it won't, I'll never give up on anyone, I just keep trying different types of support.
                Last edited by abcowboy; September 6, 2015, 09:07 AM.
                Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

I got to thinking more about “coming clean” with others about my problem with drinking and there is another side to this coin. Once you tell people, how did it affect your relationship with them? For the most part, I think it is a tremendous weight off us, and our spouses and immediate family are probably glad that we were finally honest with them. Although, in a few cases I think that some spouses can’t or don’t want to accept the fact that the relationship is going to have to make some drastic changes if the partner is going to stay sober. Are they losing their drinking buddy? Can they still enjoy one or two in the house while the partner is abstaining? What will happen at social functions? All experts in recovery tell us that we have to worry about ourselves first, recovery takes precedence over everything else. Does that mean even our marriage? Would you give up your partner to stay sober? As far as our friends go, how many will we lose when we stop drinking? And if we do lose some, were they really a friend to begin with? And once again, should it matter? Do we put more importance in our recovery than in our friendships? I think that in a lot of cases, all the above is a reason/excuse for slips/relapses. I think lots of people try and try to drink “normal” out of fear of losing those relationships. They don’t like or want to be labeled an alcoholic, party pooper, stick in the mud, etc. etc.

I thank God every day for giving me Bubba and my children! Even after everything I’ve put them through, the things I’ve said to them, all the disappointments I’ve caused them, and they still show unconditional love and support for me! I’ll bet Bubba hasn’t had a handful of drinks in the past 8 months, and she’s never had even one when I was around. The same as the kids, they probably still enjoy their social drinking, but they never have a drink around me, not even when we are at a social event together.

Sure, Bubba and I have been excluded from some social events because people don’t want me around, or maybe they don’t want to put me in an uncomfortable position. But most of our friends accept my decision to be totally abstinent, and they carry on as if the Coke I’m drinking is my way of enjoying the social activity along with them. Everyone respects Bubba’s rule of no alcohol in our house. If you come to visit, you can have whatever you want, but it won’t contain any alcohol. You can bring your own if you want, but you take whatever is left when you leave. I’m okay with all of that. I think the day will come when we can keep some alcohol in the house to offer guests, but for right now, that time has not yet come.

So, does coming clean help or hinder? Both I think, but only in the beginning. Once word is out that you don’t drink, it will travel fast. And for those who don’t like the news, too bad. Accept the new me because you have to forget about the old me, he died that night in the hospital. We live in an area where drinking is prevalent at every function, and let’s face it, alcohol sales at fundraisers is where all the money is to be made. So if I stay away from events where booze is offered, I’ll end up being a hermit!

For the most part, I’ve lost very few of my friends because I quit, and coming clean to them was a whole lot easier than trying to always come up with a reason of why I wasn’t drinking that night!
                  Last edited by abcowboy; September 6, 2015, 09:10 AM.

Comment

For the most part I keep my sobriety to myself...only family and my partner know of my drinking and even still my family doesn't know the extent of it.
                    My partner does.
                    I still had people around me when I do try to tell them that said to me that I wasn't "that bad" and everyone has their "vices" and everyone drinks or smokes to cope with life.
                    I can't have that around me.
                    The sad truth is that I don't have friends. I lost friends when I was actively drinking (90% of them) and I lost friends when I quit.
                    I wasn't mean or anything...but I isolated. I declined offers to go out or have coffee or whatever because I wanted to drink. When I did go out I probably reeked of booze anyway and who wants to hang out with that. Or whenever I was miserable and depressed I needed a sounding off board and that's when I called my friends because I needed a drinking buddy.
                    I was totally selfish in my alcoholism. I don't want to say I used people..because I was always there for my friends and am a loyal and caring person (or would like to think I am) but eventually people get sick of everything revolving around booze. Or got sick of not having texts or calls returned. Or the excuses.
                    I don't think it was all the booze because people do come in and out of your life...but looking back, do I feel guilt? Yes....even though it's pointless to dwell on it.
                    The people that care about me. That are interested in my well being are still there.
                    I did mend some bridges with a couple people. But then there are ones that...there is just no point anymore.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't have that problem. Because I don't have friends. Or a lot of people in my life.
                    So I am able to avoid social situations where I need to make an excuse to explain why I'm not drinking.
                    I'm at an age too where every single person around me if I were to go out anywhere (in the past) would tell me that there is nothing wrong with drinking everyday because "everyone does it!!"
                    Why do people lie to themselves.
                    I guess people don't care - they just want someone to drink with so they don't own up to the fact that they may in fact have their own problem with alcohol.

I'm not at the point to share my issue.
                    I'm not full equipped to deal with it just yet.
                    Yea...

Comment

My reality (and might apply to you):

After many years of drinking/quitting -drinking quitting, it really does matter what you tell someone when you no thanks -not today. In the very beginning of your quit cycles, this seems very important -telling someone that you do not want a drink and why. The real truth is the fact that is just does not really matter to anyone else -but YOU. Trust me, if someone else does ask you the question "why don't you drink" anymore, it is only because of their own insecurity relative to their drinking.

Whatever you do, do NOT try to explain to anyone that alcohol is a disease, etc. -especially at a social function. It truly is a mental brain disorder and they will not want to hear this, especially if they are drinking and might have problem.

Best answer(s):
                      • I do not feel like drinking right now
                      • Or, if you want to confuse them, tell them that you seem to "break out into silver cuff links every time that you drink"

Always try to remind yourself of this fact: Most people are only thinking about themselves at any given time -so whatever you say will only be a cue for them to think about 'themselves' -not about you. Right?

Edit: If you are talking about long time drinking buddies that are probably having a similar problem as you, then you need to move on away from them anyway -and you know why.
                      Last edited by Spiritfree; September 6, 2015, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Howdy all! Labour Day Monday in Canada, and it appears it is celebrated in many countries around the world! Thank the Lord for 8 hour work days, unless you own your own business lol Enjoy the day off my friends if you are lucky enough to get it.

Another week, another topic to discuss... I picked this topic as yesterday I noticed that it's been just over a year since I found and joined MWO. Had I stayed sober for that whole time, I'd be over a year AF, that didn't happen, but I am getting close to 8 months sober and thank God, Bubba, my family, and MWO for these past fantastic 8 months! So the topic for this week is about MWO. Most of us active members went through the "big move" and "improvements" that MWO went through. Yes, it was frustrating, and yes it took a while to get used to, but as human beings we don't like or welcome change for the most part. At first, the MWO tech team welcomed all comments and suggestions on how to fine tune and tweak the new format to make it even better, but not much else has been done with suggestions sent in over the past few months. So, if we want to see improvements, we need to do it ourselves, within the limits that we have set upon us.

HOW CAN WE IMPROVE MWO?

This topic has been tossed around the threads on many occasions, but nothing seems to come of it. Threads that start, linger, then die, but are never removed. Duplicate threads everywhere, people not bothering to see if there is an existing thread and re-opening it before starting a new one. It’s no wonder that newcomers can be confused when first starting here, I know I was! But giving up isn’t the cowboy way, so I took it upon myself to get involved, ask questions, find a thread that I felt I fit into. Trying out a few of my own threads to see if what I had to say was of any value to anyone else. I no longer feel a real “need” for support in my own quit, but support is definitely always welcomed, but I now want to give back, to be of some sort of service to those still struggling, to help other alcoholics get and remain sober.

So yesterday afternoon, a cool, rainy, windy day in N.E. Alberta, at home because it’s Sunday and harvest is on hold because of the rain, and I need a day to relax with Bubba, Hank, and MWO. Anyway, I was scrolling through the various threads and noticed that superbinger2 was the last person to join MWO, joined July 20th, came back on July 21st, and then hasn’t been back. I wondered, why? Then I did a search, new members in the last six months, and came up with a list of 217! I asked Bubba to pretend she was looking for an online forum to help with her sobriety. She used Google, Safari, and Bing, and used more than one query, and not once did MWO show up in the top 3 pages of the search engines! If we are that hard to find, it seems to me that we should be doing whatever we can to help, support, and retain our new members! Now, this list of new members contains some spammers, some returning members under new names, and I’m sure a few guests who decided to join. Have a look….

superbinger2, Shay_Fox, Coco—Nut, rebecca naish, Alien2me, wino9999, Panicmansach, Coop, kip13, OscarOshannesy, All done drinking, Nadnerb, DaisyMay2, lornadoone, almost there, Evedranktoomuch, Quokka, dearlady, Ryan8269, 4dogs, Andy197x, lis85, starty, Monty's-mum, BellCJ35, TXSal, Wanttobefree1, LuckyMe, littlehelper, mookiedookie, GlitzyB, macijared, MOOKIEBAY, mook2010, mookie20210, lex, gecko, blue1, LouAnd, Isabellas, jamestill, martyd38, 767892a, soontobemummy, Boosher, fairydust, Hk45USP, pchrist, hopefull71, Eddie196067, baileysmomma, chris111, optimisticskeptic, mitchy19, endaya, billyb2, Lucidity, Struggling no more, HopeToHeal, Scrapinggoat, Aga, Mom2Four, Mgc66, grahamhowe, Palerider, Lostgeog, Kara, IamMary, Gingeralevans, Quit wining, beenaroun, Kendra_Lust, Binge-E, Ava_Addams, trueblue, nellpop, Flute, 111222, ShelleyT, melissah, pelagia2707, Whitey, MREL, swing, saffron, enzo'smomf/k/ajenniech, wildfire1, idefineme, Kenny henry, binbash, Loujr, Maria Santos, MSUSpartan, ssd858, Toll Taken, De-cider, ElijahLevi, cro, princess, snaphu, StevenHoward, Haven, 7018rod, Outoftext, sunshine4all, Beaches1, David hk, shamrock-85, Lynds40, meltus, Jeffb92883, Sweetiebell, roseseo, rus, spuddleduck1, James589, DonnaT, lawrrence, MissMiss, Rclary, Chrysa-lissa, Girardi516, Sotiredofthis, 121314, stacey161616, Stronger me, happy guy, Florida, OnAnAdventure, medusa, Blazingsun, Puppy, David Gray, dee42, Boe, Izabella, jjb, Just Peachy, LostAndFound, Donnathb, kbh, *Thomas, Midwestgirl, not2late, Archer.Crebb, EveyIve, bost258, mrsmgh, shellseeker99, Matthew.Wri, PanhandleKim, longwalker, Dunder, Kellygirl, Springstart, backforanose, Ann Carolina 2, mindfull, punky, smathy002, golf, Edwadwean, Dachsy, agnos, zammie, whiteboardagency, butterfly127, Deltabravo, sickofal, MyOwnPrivateIdaho, Bac4Canada, GardenGood, HGK, 1234567890, kherriot, Quiet times, Whsext, gabrielle11, Steward7, raihau, Leonore, Mm22, JohnMC, new/me, Babyeyes, km2015, Unmasking, questeroo, Cosmic Moose, eob, damianpl, mommaj, memore, xiaomao, julie lynn, Mal'O Drama, King123456, Galveston, kiwimarie, canal, Sonja, Blossssom, bari, anonymous2015, Jeneeva, Cstarman, martindavis, hmmag, NewLife!, LDaught, kamfer, Newbie12, wheredoIstart..., RyanMathis, Teemorton, BenjaminStewart, & finally, qwonking.

Some 217 people who signed up to MWO for whatever reason they had at the time and how many stayed? I don’t get to every thread, I try to stay updated on the new members and welcome them, but from the list above, I can only pick out about a dozen that were/are active members. What are we doing wrong, if anything? Should we care about the newcomer who signs up then leaves after a short time? I’ve heard a few people bad mouth the Newbies Nest and Roll Call threads, but it appears to me that they are the most active threads on the Forum! Then why don’t new members go there and stay for a while? I don’t have the answers, I wish I did!

So my question for discussion is, do you think we can make MWO more attractive to newcomers, and what one thing would you change about MWO if you could. Remember, no attacking any threads or members!! We are all here doing what we can and supporting however we can, no abuse will be tolerated by anyone!

Comment

Topic for this week: What was different the day you quit?

I am noticing a pattern that folks who post on the newbie's nest roll don't seem to have relapse days as easily as others who post about how they "fell down" and drank again last night, last week, yada, yada who don't post there.

A person on another thread posted the fact that they could no longer drink, and gave up the illusion that "removed all question of toying with my management of booze", which had always inevitably led to negative occurrences for them. Then and only then did leaving alcohol behind became a whole lot easier for them. IMHO, that's why the roll call posters seem to have more success. They are serious about their quit to the point that they are tracking their quit days every 24 hours for themselves and others to see.

I think a lot of folks stay on the fence for a long while. I know I certainly did. We know we have a problem, yet find it difficult to give up the illusion/delusion that maybe we can be a "normal" drinker if we only try hard enough. With that thought in mind, for those that are having more success with maintaining their quit, the question is what was different for you the day you quit?

For me, I think it was the fact that I finally faced reality that I could not control my drinking once I started. Stopping at two was simply a real drag at times and it became painful white knuckling it or going over my intended limit. I had finally had enough and after a night of going over my limit and then doing the same 2 nights later after promising myself and hubby I would never have more than two drinks in an evening, I suddenly realized that I had to surrender to the fact that alcohol controlled me, I did not control it. It had been a difficult struggle because I didn't understand that surrendering was so key to recovery. What was different about the day you quit?

Addy (All done drinking...Yes!)

p.s. Was on vacay so missed replying to abcowboy's topic last week about what can we do to improve MWO. Please feel free to respond to this topic as well as I noticed we didn't get any responses and it's an interesting subject. I'll post a reply tomorrow or Tuesday on that one cowboy!
                          Last edited by All done drinking; September 14, 2015, 08:25 AM.
                          "Control your destiny or somebody else will" ~Jack Welsh~

God didn't give you the strength to get back on your feet, so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down.

But that was yesterday, and I was a different person then. ~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comment

My quit came from a place of fear. I was afraid of continuing to live my life with alcohol. Deep down I want to be healthy, happy, and successful. I was convinced that alcohol was a quick fix that made me satisfied doing nothing with my life. Now I am not convinced that this mentality is entirely correct, but it did get me started. I am still more afraid of picking up a drink again compared to those who think they can handle it. I am legitimately afraid of where my life would be if I quit drinking. I already have enough shit to worry about, I don't need alcohol to be one of them.

Improving this place? I think if you are responsible enough in your quit to explore the forum you have more than enough information to get going. I had zero support quitting in the past, i think threads like the NN and the monthly thread are great, and I read them long before I posted. Some way of getting people actively engaging with others faster will make them stick around, the chat box kind of sucks, a regular chat room would be great. Why not a few chat times a day that are like the online equivalent to AA, meeting at a certain time and talking to others might help get people connected.
                            Last edited by Dutch1988; September 14, 2015, 02:27 AM.

Comment

I quit drinking one day after looking at the recycling bin, and recognizing that too many bottles were mine. I controlled my drinking for quite a long time after joining here, but then I started sliding. I just decided at that moment that I was done, though I had to fight hard for a few months. I scoured this site for the tools I needed, and found them mostly on the tool box thread. The list referenced in my signature list was posted and enabled me to protect my quit. Any group can be improved, but everything I needed was right here.
                              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

My final quit came as the result of an end of life situation regarding alcohol and as a result of alcohol. If I did not quit, when I did, my life would very soon end. That particular day and time, I had no regrets, shame, guilt, etc left in me; instead, all that I had was a choice to live or die.

Relative to this new great topic is the fact that most all of us have reached different stages of Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD), and as such, it can sometimes be quite challenging to relate to another person's experience. However, there is one fact that remains a fact for most (not all) people who abuse alcohol -and that is the fact that you are controlled by alcohol.

Chances are, if you continue to drink, even though you are trying to moderate, you will reach a point where alcohol no longer gives you the choice to moderate -you will drink whenever your brain deems it necessary; and in the end, that will be all day every day. This is not intended to be a so called "scare to quit post" -instead it is a reality post. Many alcoholics say to themselves I will keep it under control for now and then I will quit. Typically, this never happens and the person goes on to die a sad, shortened life as a result of alcohol.

Chance are if you are on this site and reading and/or posting you probably already know this. If you have not reached the sun-up to sun-down drinking stage, you might go ahead a consider eliminating alcohol.
                                Last edited by Spiritfree; September 14, 2015, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X