Rehab recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rehab recommendations

Hello all! I used to be a frequent visitor on MWO, but for whatever reason I haven't posted in awhile.

So, basically my husband filed for divorce and took temporary custody of our son. I am heartbroken but I can't blame him. His petition for divorce states that I need to go to a 30 day rehab program before I can have overnight custody with my son. I am ready. I have to stop. Enough is enough.

Has anyone been to a rehab facility they could recommend? Or, places to stay away from? He is paying for treatment.

I've been to AA meetings and just can't get with the program. I know there are non-AA-based centers out there but don't have a clue how to figure out if a place is good or not. Did a rehab search on this site but found very few recommendations.

Thanks so much!

I'm sorry but I don't have any information. But, can you share what area you are in? United States? That might help with people being able to recommend places.

I'm so sorry for what you are going thru. But, congratulations on taking over your life!!
    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hope I am so sorry for what you are going through. Can you call a local church and get a recommendation? Find out what is in your area and call and just ask questions. I'd go with the one that feels right to you. Have you researched on the Internet? There must be info on websites. Maybe even some reviews on places. Please keep us posted. Reading and posting here is helpful too. Good for you for looking for help and taking a stand for sobriety. I admire your courage and strength.

Comment

Yes, I'm in the US. I don't really trust reviews on the internet -- you never know if they're legit. That's why I'm asking for personal experiences. But thank you so much for your encouraging words. :-)

Comment

Dear Hoping: My aunt's situation was very similar to yours. My uncle was going to have her "institutionalized" after 30 years of drinking, 3 DUIs, multiple accidents and a suicide attempt. She had no choice but to go to rehab. St. Helena in California is where she went. Yea, it is 12-step based but she embraces it and it finally sunk in that she was An alcoholic...after 20 days of being there. She has now been sober for 7 plus years and NO ONE has ever seen her happy like she is now. She was a mess for so many years but is a changed person. I wish you the best.

Comment

Hoping, I forgot to add that my aunt had an excellent experience there: supportive staff and it is in a beautiful part of California. They started
            each morning with a walk. :-) Family support is key, though. My uncle was a HUGE part of the problem. He was emotionally abusive and physically abuse (early in their marriage), and he finally had to admit he was part of the problem because they went to counseling together. If he has not admitted some responsibility, I don't think she could have stayed sober. She never dreamed she would ever go to AA, but she went almost every day when she got out of rehab, and now goes 3 times per Week.

Comment

Hi Hope,

I have another suggestion for you. I would contact a local addiction treatment center or addictions therapist. Make an appt. with an addictions' therapist and ask him/her for a non-12 step rehab. From my own experience in looking for a non-AAA based rehab, I know they are harder to find.

Comment

Working...
              X