Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does anyone do TOMATOES?

Oh Pop-that's aweful.

My parents always put cut grass around base so that it will keep the soil moist.
    :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

does anyone do TOMATOES?

I swear My Mom's neighbour came and got her used kitty litter for his tomates. He always had beautiful ones, Thanks to Samcat.
      Smiles
      Mar

Comment

does anyone do TOMATOES?

Give it a good start. Good soil. Rich composted soil that will hold some moisture that will drain as well. Put some time release fertilizer in the planting hole. Take off some of the lower branches and plant about half of the plant in the ground as earlier mentioned. Watch every day for worms. Pick them off and use sevin dust on both side of the leaves lightly if you see any. Don't use straight nitrogen but something recommended by a good organic nursery in your area. or just go online and read. Tomatoes are heavy feeders so keep up with it. Take off yellow leaves at once. It takes energy from the plant to shed them that it could use to make tomatoes. Water them early in the morning, not in the evening. The damp soil during the night time hours breeds fungal spores which can infect the leaves and stems of your plants. If birds or squirrels are abundant in your area get some netting and cover them or they will start to eat them as soon as they turn red. There is a great place on line. I can let you know about it if you'd like. Just pm me.

Hope this helps.

Melissa
        If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

does anyone do TOMATOES?

Oh one more thing, take off any leaves that are touching the soil, again anything touching the ground except the main stem of course, can pick up fungal spores from the soil.

Melissa
          If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

does anyone do TOMATOES?

"tomatoes like lots of water, warmth, and good light. and yes the miracle grow stuff really works."

There is a SPECIAL Miracle Grow for just tomatoes.
            You probably put too much nitrogen on them...ouch!
            That burns!!!:upset:

I put crushed egg shells in my deep hole with some compost and water and a small (1-2 Tbs.)amount of fertilizer. I let that soak in and add water for a few days...THEN I plant the tomato plant as deep as it will go....

Take off bottom leaves first and take off the "suckers" often.
            The suckers are the extra sprouts that pop up in the v of where a branch attaches to the main plant.

I have found that a 10 foot "cattle" fence panel is a good way to tie them up off the ground which keeps them clean and the fruit from rotting.
            Water very"deeply "every few days after established. This will help the roots grow deep and makes for a stronger plant and more fruit.

MULCH and watch for worms and bugs. Sevin powder and spray works on most critters.
            Water from below ....a drip system works best as it doe not splash soil onto the leaves.

There are many newer varities that will resist disease but the flavor of the old heirlooms are hard to beat. You just have to goto a garden center and see what kind works best for your area.
            Everything is dry here this year so even with watering its tough.

TMI? Sorry.......we've worked on this for years!

:h Nancy

Psalm 46:10

Comment

does anyone do TOMATOES?

WOW - WHAT GREAT ADVICE I HAVE RECEIVED - MANY THANKS - ILL KEEP YOU ALL POSTED ON MY TOATOES!!:thanks:

Comment

Working...
              X