No announcement yet.

Vitamin D anti depressant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys. Hubby's doctor recommended vitamin D3. Think I'll start taking it and see if it makes a difference. Lots of good advice here.

Comment

I just had my vitamin D tested, and it was fine. I definitely don't bathe in the nude 9 months of the year, you guys don't want that image. My personal thought is that sunscreen is way over- used, people just need to expose their face to the outdoors 20 minutes per day, year round. That's what I do. I also drink milk, eat cheese and yogurt daily. We have a lot of cloudy weather, but enough sun still penetrates the clouds.
      Last edited by Sunbeam; November 29, 2015, 08:23 AM.
      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbeam View Post
        I just had my vitamin D tested, and it was fine. I definitely don't bathe in the nude 9 months of the year, you guys don't want that image. My personal thought is that sunscreen is way over- used, people just need to expose their face to the outdoors 20 minutes per day, year round. That's what I do. I also drink milk, eat cheese and yogurt daily. We have a lot of cloudy weather, but enough sun still penetrates the clouds.
        Hence your name?:radiate:

Comment

Yes Starty I definitely feel the benefits
          Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
            Starts -- I try to take vitamin D all the time. It was a tip given by a gym guy who I think of as the experts in nutrition.
            It's is really lacking in our modern lifestyle.
            I had blood tests in April and the doc was delighted with my vitamin 'D' levels as he says deficiency causes all manner of things.
            But the body can't store it - and recently I keep forgetting - thanks for reminder.

Fish oils are good too for low moods.
            So I need to get them in too. Have let that slide recently.
            Yep I've been recommended it by a coach, in very high doses. I am however training at a very high level. I seem to remember there's also evidence that it's good at preventing and treating Breast cancer.
            I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

My last blood test showed I was low so my doc told me to take 5000 IU. I have Crohn's/Colitis and this amount nearly had me doubled over with 'gastric distress'. (Gas, bloating, cramps). I then tried 2000 IU's and less side effects, but still concerning. Down to 1000 IU, still issues. So then 400 IU, side effects still. Then last night, I decided to take it with my evening meal and I've been on the couch all day with bowel cramps. I've sent a note to my doc for next steps. Whoda thought that Vit D would be kicking my butt like this?!! B
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

I think certain people can't process the supplement Byrdie,I sure couldn't,also calcium supps do not agree with me,I try and do as Sunbeam suggested and get these nutrients through food instead
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
                  My last blood test showed I was low so my doc told me to take 5000 IU. I have Crohn's/Colitis and this amount nearly had me doubled over with 'gastric distress'. (Gas, bloating, cramps). I then tried 2000 IU's and less side effects, but still concerning. Down to 1000 IU, still issues. So then 400 IU, side effects still. Then last night, I decided to take it with my evening meal and I've been on the couch all day with bowel cramps. I've sent a note to my doc for next steps. Whoda thought that Vit D would be kicking my butt like this?!! B
                  I wonder if you would benefit from taking something like cod liver oil? I believe that has a lot of vitamin D? Maybe in a different form. That is horrendous how it affects you. But I guess all our bodies are wired differently and our needs are different.

Comment

Does anyone know if this supplement should be taken with food? I am trying 5000 per day in the morning.

Comment

There is a new treatment for Chron"s Byrdie,,, I will try and find the link.... here is one I found there are a few

Stem Cells, Fecal Transplants Show Promise for Crohn's Disease – WebMD
                      Last edited by kuya; November 30, 2015, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starty View Post
                        Does anyone know if this supplement should be taken with food? I am trying 5000 per day in the morning.
                        I take mine on an empty stomach and have had no issues Starty

Comment

Originally posted by kuya View Post
                          There is a new treatment for Chron"s Byrdie,,, I will try and find the link.... here is one I found there are a few

Stem Cells, Fecal Transplants Show Promise for Crohn's Disease – WebMD
                          Gosh, Kuya, I have a fistula. I had surgery in 2007 and it came back. My gastro told me that I should have eaten more dirt as a kid!! I am happy to know there are some promising treatments on the radar. I am currently taking a medication that is wonderful and kept my symptoms at bay....until I started taking the Vit D!

I don't want to constipate (:haha this thread as I know Crohn's is a whole other issue regarding Vit D, but I really appreciate the insight!!
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Gosh, Kuya, I have a fistula. I had surgery in 2007 and it came back. My gastro told me that I should have eaten more dirt as a kid!! I am happy to know there are some promising treatments on the radar. I am currently taking a medication that is wonderful and kept my symptoms at bay....until I started taking the Vit D!

I don't want to constipate (:haha this thread as I know Crohn's is a whole other issue regarding Vit D, but I really appreciate the insight!!
                            Well keep yourself posted on this new treatment which is being hailed as a cure not a simply a control.
                            I wonder why Vit D aggravates your condition? Intriguing.....and I just did some reading and everything says vit D 'should' be beneficial. I wonder if there is a conflict with the medication, or whether the gas you report is actually a sign that 'good' things are happening.
                            In any event it makes sense that repopulating your bowel with normal bacteria would help....no matter how yuck the idea sounds.
                            One woman used her partner's and a blender and an enema bag.....and it worked fine!
                            Last edited by kuya; November 30, 2015, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Can anyone recommend a good brand of Vit D? Is capsules or oil the best? My ones are tablets but I do worry that tablets might not be so well absorbed. I also take my All One which has been my trusty go to ever since I found out about Amino Acids during my first quit. It is the best multi vit I have come across and has a good amount of Vit D

Comment

I'm not sure about brands, Starty, but because it is a fat-soluble vitamin, you might try to find a (vegetarian) oil-based product to aid absorption. Or consume it with a fat-containing food.

Comment

Working...
                                X