No announcement yet.

The Three Principles Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a mystery to life...in order to know happiness we have to have sadness or struggles in order to appreciate the good times. Addiction is total and complete suffering, and in recovery we discover little by little, how a good night's sleep, laughing without booze, enjoying a healthy meal, remembering books, movies, conversations, can change us. The simple things, the everyday things, are beautiful and don't need to be enhanced or changed by a substance. So, in that way, we see with new eyes, new attitude, and due to the struggle, have a greater appreciation, as you explained Kuya.

Comment

Thanks, Kuya, for starting this thread, and to all who have posted here. Self-reflection is a good thing, this is a helpful framework.
      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

love this thread!

Comment

Glad you're taking a look at this thread, LC! All the things I've tried to use to find that inner peace we all seem to want (mindfulness, meditation, yoga) make so much more sense now that I understand how our minds and lives work. And it's funny - when I do them now (because I enjoy them, not as "techniques"), I finally have the feelings I was always chasing but never finding! Mind, thought, and consciousness precede techniques and behaviors.

I came across a really nice video this morning that was just right for me to listen to today. I think it would be a good introduction for someone who is just starting to explore these ideas: YouTube. I love the speaker's Scottish accent, too :smile:

Comment

Thanks NS, and Kuya. I had time to watch the first 30 minutes earlier. Hope to catch the rest tomorrow.

Comment

I'm glad some of you are watching that video - I truly believe this understanding can make a huge difference in all of our lives. It sounds hyperbolic, but it could change the world. Here's another video that talks about that :smile::YouTube

Huffington Post just published a piece that captures how I've come to feel about the labels we put on ourselves and how what helps us at one point of becoming AF may not be useful later. Developing, experiencing, and recovering from addiction is a learning process that literally changes us and we don't have to carry with us negative thoughts we used to have about ourselves and can be grateful for the new ones that result from this tough experience. Stopping drinking was the hardest thing I've ever done. But I did it and that gives me so much confidence for handling whatever lies ahead. I love labeling myself as stronger and more resilient than I ever thought I could be.

Comment

Kuya -this is a great thought and a great post -imo.

When no longer addicted, we all end up finding bigger and better things for our lives. When we are no longer controlled by a physical chemical, our brains become free to explore and connect in ways that we never before dreamed possible.

This is simply posted as a result of my addiction free life and my experiences thereafter.

Comment

Originally posted by kuya
                  I am sure a Micheal Phelps (recovered alcoholic) defines himself as a swimmer NOT an alcoholic.
                  What a cool insight!
                  You're right- Michael Phelps is a star swimmer who had a problem with alcohol, not an alcoholic who could swim well!

If I were going to have a tombstone, maybe it could say something like

"Here lies NoSugar who contributed ------- to the world and who also BTW made her way into, through, and out of a nasty addiction."

I'm not sure exactly what ------- has been so far or has yet to be but I do think it has a chance to be something more meaningful than it would have been without this experience. It has been a stage of development - admittedly painful - but nonetheless, a time of learning and growth. Before it all came about, I wouldn't have given a second glance at the 3Ps and wouldn't have even considered that it could apply to my (ego-driven) life. I'm so glad I was ready to pay attention!

Comment

Great resource for 3Ps information: Home Page - www.procrastinationpublications.com

Not especially well written but very moving book about addiction that shows respect for addicts and all forms of recovery from AA through 3Ps (with many references to music and poetry, which I really enjoyed) and which is full of hope: Death Wish: The Path through Addiction to a Glorious Life: Steve Chandler: 9781625116: Amazon.com: Books

Comment

I just ordered it too, looking forward to reading it this week.

Comment

The writing style makes more sense now - many of the sections are from blog posts (which is kind of how it read). What I really liked was his straightforward, honest language that was full of love and compassion. I also had my eyes opened about AA and the recovering/recovered debate. For one group to be right, it isn't necessary for anyone else to be wrong as we all sit here in our own thought-created moments. Like the original intent of this website - we each need to find our own ways out.

Comment

Hi kuya and NS, and everyone else of course! I've been following along here but didn't think I had much else to add. What I can say is that understanding and utilizing the 3P's (I call it thought redirection as that's the term my counsellor used) is valuable in all area's of life not just quitting drinking. It has been a great tool for me to reduce stress, depression, anxiety, etc as well as keeping my quit intact. Once you get on to it, it becomes so natural. I think everyone can benefit from it!
                          Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                          Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                          Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

I think I kind of did this to help my insomnia. Whenever I catch myself thinking about stressful stuff when I'm trying to sleep I make myself recite something rote - these days it's been British Kings and Queens from Henry V through James I. I usually don't make it past Anne Boleyn. :victorious:

Comment

This is exactly what I am practising now. A thought is a thought no more and no less and it will go away....if we let it. Doing something to redirect it is totally possible. It might be as simple as walking or napping.

Comment

Originally posted by kuya
                                Exactly. You can't MAKE a thought go away but you can ALLOW it to by simply not paying it undue attention.

The same applies to all thoughts that cause you problems, like anxiety. Just let the thought drift.

I used to say I was quite an anxious person....now I am a happy person who occasionally has anxious thoughts.

Pay attention to happy, kind, amusing thoughts and you will become a happy, kind and amusing person.
                                Been doing that tonight actually, well I woke in the night anxious about this and that. The one that held me was that I am not exercising as much as I did. Beat myself up for a few moments then had purposefully thought that I should just be constructive about it or let it go. Seconds later I came up with a plan that did not seem scary in anyway but would get me back to where I was. Instantly at peace once again......simples

Comment

Working...
                                X