~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Pauly, that new salon owner won't be in business for long! You might as well get while the getting is good. I hope your friend and the others that were canned land ontheir feet quickly. What a crappy thing to do at Christmas time!

BigAl, I read All the Light You Cannot See a little while back. It was an awesome book, no doubt about it.

Jude, that's great about the venison! I should think a lot more deer will be put in freezer's this year due to the current inflation. Beef prices are crazy! I'm glad we bought a half a freezer steer in August. We got in on that deal just in time!

Thanks for that great breakfast yesterday, Cowboy. One of my favorites! I was in the mood for pancakes yesterday.

Getting my Moderna booster today. Also have some Christmas gifts to wrap later today. I hope we all enjoy an AF Monday!
    Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

5:29am in Alberta, another 24 please, and thanks...

In the last 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
      [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=11089]techie[/MENTION] [MENTION=24510]BigAl[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
      Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
      Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
      Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Nice job by Mr J on getting the doe [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION]! Wild meat has a flavor all of it's own, and each species of wild game tastes different. It's not for everyone, but Bubba and I sure enjoy it!

I think I forgot to answer someone's question about the mil's surgery. She struggled a bit with the "sand in the eye" feeling the first couple of days but yesterday she said it's getting better and better each day now. Good thing because we go tomorrow to get the other eye done!

I'll find out today how Adam and Darcie's stay at Jasper was [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] as he's one of the pallbearers for Bubba's Dad. But you're right, Jasper and Banff have some of the best scenery in the world!

I love my hairdresser more than anyone else in the world [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION], I'm married to her lol. But I do remember back in the day when I went out to get a haircut, I always used the same hairdresser and my haircut waited till she could book me in.
        Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
        Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
        Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Good morning Cafe. So thankful to be waking up sober and no urge to drink. I feel like I have been fighting this urge more and more lately. The move, the lack of furniture, so many things going wrong. I am basically making excuses to drink. Every time I go to the grocery story I walk thru the wine section because you have to to enter the store. All these things in my head playing around and basically saying “why not” “you are old now and lived a good life, its time to relax and enjoy it.” The beast is strong but I am stronger. It’s basically a mindset and right now I am telling the beast to F off. I am hoping I can keep this mindset going. In retirement you see many people drinking a lot and all the time. Work kept me from doing that. Now that there is no work, there is a lack of accountability. I realize that I can only be accountable to myself. Thanks for listening. Life is certainly a challenge. I am reading a great book called Soul Survivor about reincarnation. Its amazing and really opens your eyes to possibilities of the afterlife. I started reading this book after reading a book by Bob Olson called Answers about the Afterlife. The book by Bob Olson is insightful and gives hope that you will connect with past loved ones. Brings some comfort to those that have lost loved ones. Didn’t know if anyone here might be interested. I am so happy to be on a good path again. Another 24 for me please and thank you.

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

Rava, I agree with you about being accountable to ourselves. That’s where it starts. And taking it one day at a time.

Alcohol is not available in grocery stores here although several grocery chains have liquor stores and cannabis dispensaries. By law they have to be in separate premises.
            The temptation to buy alcohol while picking up groceries must be very tempting.

Jude, nice that you have meat for your freezer. For a few years, we bought a side of beef and shared it with our kids. They reduced their meat consumption for a while so we just bought beef as we needed. Then last year our oldest son asked if we wanted to share a side. Did the same this year and the best part, besides having a full freezer, is that they pay half the cost! Our favourite butcher hasn’t raised his price for 2 years and he only buys beef from local farmers he knows and trusts.

Another week of doctor appointments including Mrs QW’s cognitive assessment with the neuropsychiatrist. She’s assuming she’ll have to give up driving and is OK with it. There are more signs of dementia showing so more changes ahead. One day at a time applies here too.

Have a great af Monday everyone.

QW
            Last edited by Quit wining; November 29, 2021, 10:01 AM.
            AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
            F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

We are looking at a 42ft 5th wheel today to leave here for our winter visits. We just can't pull the trigger on anything more permanent than that. We will see....

Waves to all! 24 more here. Please!

Comment

Happy AF Monday to us all
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Jude58 View Post
                  Great pic [MENTION=11089]techie[/MENTION]! How is Mrs. T doing after the car accident? Hopefully, she's recovering well.

Mr. J got a nice doe yesterday, so our freezer will be well stocked this year. The price of beef has gone sky high around here, so having venison will be a real help. Besides, it makes a great stew, and is much more healthy to eat than beef.

I'm in for another 24 and thank you very much!
                  How kind and thoughtful. Mrs Techie is doing well and getting better day by day!
                  Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Good morning Cafe friends and wild meat lovers. Still locked in a warm weather pattern which I do not like. Also, I’m concerned about the new Covid variant. We are supposed to do a France river trip with neighbors end of May. We need to put down a non refundable deposit by December 2. Yikes. Also, trip insurance is at an all time high due to companies taking advantage of lock downs, suspensions, etc. I want out of the whole thing but we are sort of committed. Meeting with other couple this evening.

So, with love in my heart and appreciation for the sober life, I accept another 24. I wish you all the best day possible. Blessings x

All The Light…is a fantastic read, [MENTION=24510]BigAl[/MENTION]. I’m going to recommend: Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan is about the way that war can affect people in various ways. Sullivan shows the tragedy of war, and how it can change the way that a person sees life. He does this well by showing how the main character, Pino is changed throughout. A relative of Pino’s lives close to us and came to our community book club to share stories and talk about his uncle. Sadly, Mrs. Techie and I were out of town at the time!

Last edited by techie; November 29, 2021, 12:24 PM. Reason: Book comment
                    Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

[MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION], great job keeping the beast at bay. QW, I wish the best for Mrs. QW and yourself, I admire your outlook. [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION], a 42' 5th wheel is nothing to sneeze at!

[MENTION=11089]techie[/MENTION], I will give your book recommendation a read. The book I'm reading now is turning out to be pretty darn good. It's an early 70's Russian science fiction novel that has recently been re-translated (if you're into that).

Work has been interesting in that I am doing quite a bit of work in the background, but not leaving with the team for our big meeting tomorrow. It feels great to not go. I was not looking forward to it. I do feel bad though, I fought the client quite a bit for the benefit of my designers. I can hear it in their voices that they feel a bit thrown to the wolves. But, all I can do is never make the same mistake again in capitulating to what I know is incredibly unfair and unbalanced.

[MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION], if you are in Toledo this weekend Mrs. BigAl is always looking for fellow knitters. She is there to support one of her friends who has a LYS and is a dyer (why does "dyer" feel like a misspelling). But, I also understand that knitters need to go through a prescribed Ravelry courtship prior to knitting together! I jest, of course.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Monday and I am very much looking forward to my cup of sleepy time tea, a good read, and 24 more hours of appreciative sobriety.

Comment

Good morning cafe!
                        [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION], I have been locking horns with the beast as well lately. It has been difficult since I've been retired, and I'm not sure exactly why. Maybe it's the cold and snow, but for whatever reason, I have lost all ambition, and don't even want to leave the house. Guess that I need to get off my ass, and break this cycle of lethargy. I know from past experience where this mind-set can lead, and I don't want to go down that path again.

Struggling to maintain another 24 hours.

Comment

I hear ya loud and clear Jude. For me retirement is a whole new world. There is no accountability. It doesn’t even matter what day it is anymore. I was a super organized somewhat anal person and now I feel that part of me slipping away. Not sure how I feel about it. Having wine available in grocery stores and Walmart, Target, etc make it seem so normal to just pick up a bottle or two with all of your other needs. Seems so innocent since you don’t have to make a special trip to the liquor store. I have to get my head on straight and learn how to deal with it. I walked thru the wine section yesterday at Walmart and kept walking. So proud that I didnt just haphazardly throw in a bottle. I constantly have to remind myself how good it feels to walk up accountable. The last time I drank too much I had a headache for 2 full days. That was horrible. I hate myself when I drink. So today I again ask for 24 more! I will not drink today.

Comment

5:30am in Alberta, 24 more for me please, and thanks...

In the last 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of wellness:
                            [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=11089]techie[/MENTION] [MENTION=24510]BigAl[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!

Comment

Rava and Jude, you both describe the pitfalls of retirement so well. And the casual nature of the wine/beer aisle in Walmart, Target, Kroger etc.... It's an achievement each time you get thru that store without buying!

BigAl, Toledo is a fair distance from my area so it's not likely Mrs. BA and I will meet up, I'm sorry to say. I do hope she enjoys her time with her friend. I am afraid I do not know what LYS is.

There is a large antique/tool/furniture auction in my town today and I am planning on going to try to get a desk for my granddaughter's bedroom. That should be a fun time. Mr. D may join me after his doc appointment.

Committing to 24 hours free and clear, with gratitude in my soul.
                              Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

I am going to take a look at the books that have been mentioned here to see if any appeal to me. Rava, there are several Soul Survivor titles. Can you tell me the author of the one you enjoyed? Thanks!
                                Dill

Comment

Working...
                                X