~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Good morning Cafe. Perfect breakfast Cowboy!! Thank you. I also agree that people don’t want to admit to an alcohol problem. It seems tho that many younger people are realizing that they are problem drinkers. Back in the day the belief was the only way you could be cured was thru AA. People are now realizing that there are many other ways to abstain. AA is not for everyone and I’m glad that there are options. I used to work in a mental health facility in which people were forced into 90 meetings in 90 days and I always thought that was crazy. They were made to believe that if they didn’t go to all those meetings there were doomed. These were family people with jobs. Seemed unrealistic to me. So glad that more modern thinking is evolving around this issue. Wishing everyone a wonderful and sober day!

Comment

Rava, people in forced rehab situations have one thing on their side: the no longer have to worry about losing anonymity. But on the down side, they have to deal with the loss of face. I don't think there is still the stigma there once was, but I grew up in the time when there was great shame associated with alcoholism. I think more so for women than men.

Ginger, yes I do live in a very small town and that is a factor that holds me back from attending AA. I also fear joining online meetings because I don't trust that wouldn't somehow be breached. It was a huge leap of faith for me to join this forum. It speaks to just how desperate I was at the time.

Cowboy, I can't believe another planting season is done and dusted! I bet that feels kinda good. Thanks for the awesome breakfast. I especially loved those fried tomatoes!

24 more for all of us here, please and thank you.
      Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Thanks for brekkie, ABC. Now I know what to make today. Thanks for the inspiration!

Headed home today. I'll take another!

Comment

Good morning Cafe friends. I am in Lake Tahoe ready to go on 15 mile hike with some crazy friends. Thanks for breakfast Cowboy. Gotta go. Blessings x

Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Originally posted by abcowboy View Post
            Good to see you back home safe and sound [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION]
            I'm not sure why it's so hard for people to admit that they have alcohol problems, and for people to accept that there are people with alcohol problems, but that's the way it is. I do think that with the educating and awareness that is out there today, that situation is changing.
            Probably because they wanted to keep drinking... at least that's what it was in my case (for a while), also maybe a bit of a delusional hubris thinking I had control over it, when it was sliipping away ever so insidiously. I think the accepting thing also might come down partly to the same thing, people want to drink and the idea of alcoholics and alcohol being a problem (for some) creates a discord there; society has a hard time seeing nuances so people have a hard time re-framing alcohol as being something fun/good to a destructive addictive drug.

It's been beautiful weather here lately with cool nights and warm, sunny days. No rain at all this week.
            Same here! Finally nice to get some proper spring weather, where one can enjoy being out in the sun! Got some yard work done in the morning and a hike in the afternoon, alll barely breaking a sweat!
            Last edited by Mulburry; May 28, 2023, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Techie, a 15 mile hike? Good God, I'd be dead after 3 miles! :egad:

The BBQ dinner was fantastic! So glad that we got there early, because they sold out of chicken in a little over an hour. It was delicious! Today my friend is dragging me to a Memorial day parade in a nearby town. Looks like it's going to be another beautiful day with lots of sunshine and warmth.

Life is beautiful without the booze, so here's to another 24 hours!

Comment

Originally posted by Mulburry View Post
                Probably because they wanted to keep drinking... at least that's what it was in my case (for a while), also maybe a bit of a delusional hubris thinking I had control over it, when it was sliipping away ever so insidiously. I think the accepting thing also might come down partly to the same thing, people want to drink and the idea of alcoholics and alcohol being a problem (for some) creates a discord there; society has a hard time seeing nuances so people have a hard time re-framing alcohol as being something fun/good to a destructive addictive drug.

I think for me that it is simply the admission of a lack of self control and the feelings of failure associated with that. That's al least one factor. But at some point you just have to accept it and move on. However, you don't have to make it a matter for public consumption if you can avoid it.

I saw in the news that today is a big election day in Alberta. Hope all goes well and the best outcome for Canadians is achieved.

24 more please and thank you.
                Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Good morning cafe. Another sunny and beautiful day here. Techie, good luck on that 15 mile walk. Just thinking about that exhausts me! Sitting here in silence with my coffee and 3 little otters just ran by. Must be a sign of some sort. Hope everyone has a wonderful day. 24 more please and thank you.

Comment

5:24am in Alberta, another 24 please, and thanks...

In the last 24 hours, these friends have joined me for 24 hours of wellness:
                    [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=11089]techie[/MENTION] [MENTION=24679]Mulburry[/MENTION]

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
                    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

I'm like you [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION], admitting that I was an alcoholic felt like I was admitting that I was weak, that I had no self-control, but by quitting, we prove to ourselves that we aren't weak, we do have some self-control. Yes, it's election day in Alberta, time to pick the party that will govern us for the next 4 years. Bubba and I will be going out to vote and the biggest reason that I vote is because of what you guys are celebrating today. People fought and died so that we have freedom and the right to vote. For me, it's not so much as who I want leading the province, but who I don't want.

I'm seriously thinking that this will be my last year of farming. It was a very stressful seeding season with all the breakdowns and equipment problems we had and the enjoyment just wasn't there like in the past years. I don't need to do things that I don't enjoy anymore or add stress to my life, I'm supposed to be enjoying my golden years lol.
                      Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                      Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                      Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

ABC, I agree 100% with your enjoying the rest of you life. You've worked long and hard!

I joined Noom back in January and there are daily lessons that I start my morning with. I learned this today. Ask yourself two things 1) do I want to? 2) do I need to? If you answer no to both questions, it's time to set it aside and move on.

I'll take another day!

Comment

Good morning Cafe friends. We only did 8 miles. There was a fire nearby that was impacting air quality so we turned around. Off to golf this morning. Another 24 for me. BTW, we do this hike every year to honor our fallen brothers and sisters. The entire hiking group of eleven Veterans is extremely important to me. I wish you all the best day possible. Blessings x

Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Cowboy, I can't blame you for wanting to slow down a little. I've known people that have put off retiring until they were in their 70's, but died shortly after. I may not have as much money now compared to when I was working, but I sure am enjoying life!

Ginger, what do you think of noom? I've considered trying it, but don't know much about it.

I'm in for another 24...

Comment

Cowboy, I read that the elections were close in Alberta with wins being touted by both sides. I hope the result will be a win for Alberta and Canada. It does sound like it's time for you to let the farming go. It's a new stage in your life and you should enjoy it! Like Jude said, we may have less money in retirement, but the freedom and reduced stress more than make up for it, at least for me.

Jude and Ginger, I've never even heard of Noom. I'll have to check it out to see what you ladies are talking about.

I hope we all enjoy another 24 hours of freedom.
                              Dill

Comment

4:57am in Alberta, 24 more for me please, and thanks...

In the last 24 hours, these friends have joined me for 24 hours of wellness:
                                [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=11089]techie[/MENTION]

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!

Comment

Working...
                                X