~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

@Mullburry I was tested for many things. What came back was animals particularly dogs and horses. At the time I had 3 dogs and used to have horses. Wheat and dairy were the main food allergens. The excema was so debilitating that I was virtually living on steroids, no sleep because of the itching and my lifelong asthma was not well controlled. The Dr gave me strategies for living with these and along with cutting out completely wheat and dairy from my diet for 2 years, On his suggestions, I changed my house to remove soft furnishings for furniture I could wipe down, a hepa filter vacuum cleaner and changing the carpeted floors to laminate and tiles. I also had to keep my dogs downstairs, remove my "dog clothes" and leave them downstairs so that the upstairs was as least allergenic as possible. The dogs all had mattresses covered in plastic that could be wiped down and washable covers along with a wipe for their fur to keep the dander at a minimum. I also had to wash the walls of the house to remove any residual dander. This I did for about 2 years and my body slowly stopped reacting to things so violently. To this day, I still take a tablet that reduces my bodies response to allergens. I can now eat wheat and dairy but do try and not over indulge and have been fine for about 20 years. I still take the normal meds for asthma and still get mild excema flare ups but not all over my face and body and they are totally manageable. It was a very difficult period in my life and if I didnt have help from the allergist I was seriously wondering if I wanted to continue living. The main thing I took from him was that my body is sensitive and if we continue to bombard it with things it doesnt like, it overreacts and eventually what happened to me it reacted to everything I ate so an elimination diet wouldn't work. I even reacted to eating an apple. Once my body was allowed to rest for a while it started to settle and as I say, after about 2 years I was able to start reintroducing things. Now, I can groom my dogs and have them on my bed. I do make sure I keep my house clean and aired and continue to have hard floors and wipeable furniture.

I really hope you get some answers. Your body is clearly reacting to something (s) and once you know what it is, you will be able to manage it.

The other thing worth mentioning is menopause can make one very itchy. As I have no oestrogen which acts as an anti inflammatory, I did used to get what felt like crawling under the skin. I take HRT and that does help with many symptoms.

Hope my sorry saga helps a bit

Comment

Oh damn. Starty posted at 9:40 and I do not see her post!?!
      Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Originally posted by techie View Post
        Oh damn. Starty posted at 9:40 and I do not see her post!?!
        Good morning

I can see both your posts. Please don?t say the gremlins have followed the Army! Was really enjoying the conversations and getting to know everyone.

I will take another 24 please.

Comment

Thankfully I haven't had any problems seeing anyone's posts, at least not yet!

Geez starty, what an ordeal you've been through! I go nuts if I have a mosquito bite that itches, and I can't even imagine what you have been through. :apthy:

Great to see you here molly! I've thought about getting an e-bike, but I wasn't sure how it would handle all of these hills around here. Do they have enough power to go up a steep incline?

Gratefully looking forward to another 24 hours...

Comment

Originally posted by Jude58 View Post
            Thankfully I haven't had any problems seeing anyone's posts, at least not yet!

Geez starty, what an ordeal you've been through! I go nuts if I have a mosquito bite that itches, and I can't even imagine what you have been through. :apthy:

Great to see you here molly! I've thought about getting an e-bike, but I wasn't sure how it would handle all of these hills around here. Do they have enough power to go up a steep incline?

Gratefully looking forward to another 24 hours...
            Hey Jude ;-)

Yes...if it's very mountainy and you need to use a lot of throttle you would use a lot of battery life...however it's fairly hilly round here and with minimal 'assist' I find you can sail up fairly sizeable hills....we got 1000W bikes so they comfortably do about 80k on a charge...I'd recommend any day! You can decide how much energy you want to expend on a ride...lots of time I don't use ebike mode at all.
            Morning all!
            Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
            contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Good morning cafe. Hi Molly, I have an e bike as well and love it! Mine is like a little scooter. It’s heavy but fun. Wishing everyone a great and sober day!

Comment

We don't have draft horses anymore at our local county fair. I wish we did. I have never gone to our state fair but I bet I would see draft horses there if I did.

Ebikes sound like fun!

24 more for all here, please and thank you.
                Last edited by dill; August 11, 2023, 06:34 AM.
                Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

5:35am in Alberta, another 24 for me please, and thanks...

In the last 24 hours, these friends have joined me for 24 hours of wellness:
                  [MENTION=15758]rustop59[/MENTION] [MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] mollyka [MENTION=11089]techie[/MENTION] [MENTION=24679]Mulburry[/MENTION] [MENTION=22456]starty[/MENTION]

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
                  Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                  Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                  Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Great to see you've joined us Molly, post as much and as often as you'd like!

Things seem to be posting just fine for me as well, hopefully it will stay that way. I can't see how any of you joining us could affect anything here. Not sure if [MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION] posted yesterday as I don't see anything from her.
                    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Well that's just weird. I just posted in the Roll Call thread, the side bar shows my post but the post doesn't show up in the thread?

Comment

I love seeing you all here! I hope the powers that be are still around doing the tech work that needs doing on a site like this.

I'll take another day!

Comment

Good morning Cafe friends. Let?s hope the gremlins haven?t infiltrated. Another 24 for moi. Prayers for Maui are appreciated. My family (uncle) has a place there and we are trying to find out the status. I wish you all the best day possible. Blessings x

Last edited by techie; August 11, 2023, 11:53 AM.
                          Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Originally posted by starty View Post
                            @Mullburry I was tested for many things. What came back was animals particularly dogs and horses. At the time I had 3 dogs and used to have horses. Wheat and dairy were the main food allergens. The excema was so debilitating that I was virtually living on steroids, no sleep because of the itching and my lifelong asthma was not well controlled. The Dr gave me strategies for living with these and along with cutting out completely wheat and dairy from my diet for 2 years, On his suggestions, I changed my house to remove soft furnishings for furniture I could wipe down, a hepa filter vacuum cleaner and changing the carpeted floors to laminate and tiles. I also had to keep my dogs downstairs, remove my "dog clothes" and leave them downstairs so that the upstairs was as least allergenic as possible. The dogs all had mattresses covered in plastic that could be wiped down and washable covers along with a wipe for their fur to keep the dander at a minimum. I also had to wash the walls of the house to remove any residual dander. This I did for about 2 years and my body slowly stopped reacting to things so violently. To this day, I still take a tablet that reduces my bodies response to allergens. I can now eat wheat and dairy but do try and not over indulge and have been fine for about 20 years. I still take the normal meds for asthma and still get mild excema flare ups but not all over my face and body and they are totally manageable. It was a very difficult period in my life and if I didnt have help from the allergist I was seriously wondering if I wanted to continue living. The main thing I took from him was that my body is sensitive and if we continue to bombard it with things it doesnt like, it overreacts and eventually what happened to me it reacted to everything I ate so an elimination diet wouldn't work. I even reacted to eating an apple. Once my body was allowed to rest for a while it started to settle and as I say, after about 2 years I was able to start reintroducing things. Now, I can groom my dogs and have them on my bed. I do make sure I keep my house clean and aired and continue to have hard floors and wipeable furniture.

I really hope you get some answers. Your body is clearly reacting to something (s) and once you know what it is, you will be able to manage it.

The other thing worth mentioning is menopause can make one very itchy. As I have no oestrogen which acts as an anti inflammatory, I did used to get what felt like crawling under the skin. I take HRT and that does help with many symptoms.

Hope my sorry saga helps a bit
                            Wow, that certainly sounds like quite the endeavor, I'm not sure how you managed all that especially having pets and everything too. I'm glad you did though and it ended up helping. It's funny, I don't have pets, and have never had seasonal allergies, or reactions to bug bites, or anything like that, and menopause certainly wouldn't be an issue for me being of the other gender variety, hahaha. It almost seems to me like my body really didn't like alcohol (affected my digestive system a lot too) and reacted to it, and now that switch is just stuck in that position, but I really don't know. I am a little afraid that allergy test is going to come back telling me I'm allergic to a billion things, and to be honest making all those sorts of changes like you did, would seem completely overwhelming to me.
                            Last edited by Mulburry; August 11, 2023, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Hi all,

Sorry [MENTION=24679]Mulburry[/MENTION], I didnt realise about your gender. Oh yes, I get your overwhelm and I am sure your results won't be like mine. Mine was complete body overwhelm over several years of not being taken seriously by my doctors hence the many steroids and other drugs to control and what was in the main an environmental issue. There may be other things you can do to support /reset your immune system to stop reacting. Maybe removing. inflammatory foods for a while to let your body rest. Do you mind me asking how long you have been off AL?

Seriously hope the gremlins haven't infiltrated this thread too or even worse, the army has brought over a bug :egad:

I hope all are well and enjoying many 24s!

Comment

There may be other things you can do to support /reset your immune system to stop reacting. Maybe removing. inflammatory foods for a while to let your body rest
                                I've tried some things with diet like going gluten free and dairy free, which didn't seem to help. My diet isn't perfect but I do try to eat lot's of fruits and vegetables. I'm also having a strangely hard time keeping weight on sometimes (after loosing 100 pounds already) so I've been a bit hesitant to try to cut things like carbs etc. too much.

Do you mind me asking how long you have been off AL?
                                Haven't had a drop in almost 2 years now. I really did think that quitting AL would be the answer to some of these issues, so it's definitely been a bit a frustrating that it hasn't (not that I regret quitting one bit).
                                Last edited by Mulburry; August 12, 2023, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X