~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

[MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION], I am very happy to hear your Mom and sister are ok and I thank you for the update. I share their fear of anything electric! LOL

[MENTION=16893]Wildflowers[/MENTION], Mr. D loves curry and he often uses turmeric when he makes a curry, hence the addition of turmeric in my lentils! I have also made it without the curry spice and like it that way just as well! Why do beans and soups always taste better on the second day? It's just a fact!

[MENTION=22385]ssd858[/MENTION], I'm glad you will continue with daily check in. I know I have tried about every approach but in the end I found touching base daily to be my best defense. As for posting about counting days/quit dates. For me that is not helpful. If I have loads of days then slip, it doesn't feel right to me to "start over" as if nothing I had accomplished before mattered. So, for those that get help from sharing number of days/quit dates, more power to them! Wish it worked for me, but it doesn't, so I'll I'll just keep on my path.

My path for the next 24 hours is decided!
    Last edited by dill; September 12, 2017, 03:32 PM.
    Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

“The serious problems in life...are never fully solved. If ever they should appear to be so it is a sure sign that something has been lost. The meaning and purpose of a problem seem to lie not in its solution but in our working at it incessantly.”
      ― C.G. Jung

A sunny 57 f here in Jersey at just about 8:30 this Tuesday morning. Committing to another 24!
      “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
      Newbies Nest Roll Call
      Toolbox
      Cattleman Cafe

Comment

6:45am in Alberta, I'll have another 24 please, and thanks...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
        [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=20895]Orimus[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=22385]ssd858[/MENTION] @W [MENTION=9531]catch22[/MENTION] [MENTION=23850]empyr3al[/MENTION] abcowboy
        Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
        Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
        Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Great to hear you're sticking around ssd! When I read your post yesterday I wasn't quite sure what you meant by not checking in each day. I suspected you meant the roll call, but wasn't a 100% certain. Then all the Clubbers chimed in and said everything I had to say, so I don't need to repeat it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, counting days didn't work for me either! But I also know that it works for many people, we have to find what works for us. As far as drinking (and most things in life) goes, yesterday is gone, no way to change it. Tomorrow isn't here, all we can do is try to prepare ourselves for what tomorrow will bring. All we have is today, the 24 hours that face us today, and it's all we really need. One day at a time has been around for a long, long time and I think it will be around for some time to come.

That's the whole point of the Club, no need to worry about yesterday, no need to worry about how many days sober you have, just work on staying sober today...
          Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
          Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
          Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Thank you [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] and [MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION] - that is a good plan for me right now. While it can be motivating seeing the
            sober countdown increase, if you slip it adds to the mental beat-down you give yourself. No need to keep beating down the alcoholic:egad:

24 more for me and my friends please

Comment

Starting off with the food spam!

[MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION], tumeric drives me nuts because its stains everything that is plastic! Though I love lentil soup and curry. I'll do an indian/middle eastern week sometimes soon. Waiting for Chicken thighs to go on sale to make Butter Chicken. I don't have the toys sitting around (packed) to make naan from scratch, so pre made. Maybe make mulligatawny soup. Got some real ghee (clarified butter made through a cheese cloth). Got some awesome potato's so aloo gobi too. Good plan for the following week.

I'm on the pan asian ingredient week. A single guy that cooks from scratch alone has to eat or freeze portions because things perish, but improvising dishes goes a long way. So Bok Choy, bean sprouts, snow peas, pork loin, chicken breast, shrimp, rice vinegar, brocolli, soy, fish sauce, sesame oil, sambal, ginger, garlic, oyster sauce, almonds, whatever comes to mind, jasmine rice, fried chow mein noodles, rice noodles, pad thai peanuts in peanut oil. Maybe I'll make some Tom Yung Goong (shrimp soup without coconut cream/milk). Though I should use my cans of it. Thats right I have lemon grass frozen in the freezer. I have quite a bit of custom stuff to play with. Fun times! For dinners, switch it up a bit with some other variations. Its warm enough to cook outside so I don't kill my father with the heat (burning eyes and nose running). What ever ingredient comes to mind. Some dim sum with custom dipping sesame sauce for lunch. My preference is salad, diced, chopped kale slaw with sesame dressing. So this is more indo/thai with a slight hint of japanese. Modern hybrid asian cooking. I suppose i can easily just move west from pan asian into the middle east and india with some of the ingredients.

The remaining chili is frozen and dated in portions. Been eating it with this Habanero and monteray jack cheese and using ciabatta buns and corn on the cob. Drool.

You see there are things you can do when you are free of the grip of alcohol! I have to watch out I don't get to OCD about cooking but its a good replacement for AL.

Now onto the day counting and AA/NA and yes... meds (which i might sound hypocritical about NA because I do use meds). Stop reading if you are anti med or get offended by criticism and some appreciation of AA and NA. I don't know if I'm breaking rules with this commentary... so let me know if I cross any lines. I enjoy peace between us!

[MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION], Checking in. Yes I don't count days either. I would have to look at my bank statements to figure it out as I only drank alone or hiding it, so it was purchased. I have in prior attempts the AA way and counting days. I find living my life around drinking, or the other way thinking about not drinking. How about not thinking about it and not drinking at the same time! I find some relief now that I don't think about alcohol. Some of you might disagree with my methods which are not AA and day counting or centering my life around not drinking. Experimenting with different meds (anxiety, antidepressants, and at core anti crave). I think nothing of alcohol now, except for me enjoying all of you and my dog and cooking. Don't get me wrong you will see me post some depressing stuff sometimes. I just do stuff now instead of sitting around drunk, trying to scratch my way to catch up always in chaos. I'm not "white knuckled". Today is a good day. Gabapentin saved my life as its made the most remarkable difference out of every med I've tried. Check out its ratings on drugs.com and testimonies if you don't believe what you see. Gabapentin User Reviews for Alcohol Withdrawal at Drugs.com The counting days, or reading a meditation regarding alcohol (which plants it in my mind for the day) I seem too have stopped doing and almost am coming to a point i disagree with the "just for today" concept. Now yes check in every 24 is important to me because it does keep me accountable. Now I read positive things in the morning and quotes from inspirational people, but I avoid them being a reflection of alcoholism. So I don't read my library of books like "Just for today", "Sponsorship" from NA, "Living Sober" from AA, "Daily Reflections", "Twelve Steps and 12 Traditions" and "the BIG book". Read them; good knowledge to have. Freedom from always thinking of it or feeling desperate. Not for everyone, but I took the steps I needed to take. I got so tired of struggling. Dozens of coins... one group I was at had a different take on the coin concept. I tried looking up marbles and AA, its quite interesting, close round circle discussion group that breaks into groups of people like some large NA meetings. People get marbles for lengths of time. And people are asked if they need a certain marble if they are struggling or something and the next weeks meeting they return the marble and it helped them achieve a goal? Or something they are not yet ready to talk about. Not quite sure, only attended a couple meetings like that. I at my age ~40 I enjoyed some NA material. It seems a bit more empathetic and less rigid. Little too touchy touchy for some and there are practices and its quite a bit more real. Circle, right foot forward "It works if you work it". There are different types. A lot of people think it creates more damage. AA is really up tight IMHO, interesting mix here locally and quite tight. Most are either in their 20's or after their 50's. Its an interesting mix. Another type of meeting I attend is more round robin, open forum after the round robin and general discussion with a no cross talk but people respect eachother. CBT/DBT type stuff. As I don't do AA/NA. We tried to set up S.M.A.R.T recovery here but we needed a physician to monitor. The theory of SMART is damage control and structure for those that are way out of the loop. For those curious how modern group therapy is evolving from AA... Check it out. SMART Recovery - SMART Recovery Toronto

Sorry if I offended anyone! We are all free to chose our paths to sobriety. Thanks for listening to me ramble on.

Hope everyone has a good, safe next 24.
              Last edited by empyr3al; September 12, 2017, 09:03 PM.
              "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

I don't think you offended anybody Empry,I liked your post and wanted to say that you sound really good these days you just keep doing what you're doing as it's working for you,I'm a bit jealous of your cooking though
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

[MENTION=23850]empyr3al[/MENTION] I appreciated your perspective and also the links you provided. I am glad that it sounds like you are in a good place right now in recovery and I hope you stay there are that things only get better for you! I think groups like AA and NA are really good for those who they are really good for, but of course are not for everybody. Each of us are finding our own way. The one thing I do think is especially helpful to me, and likely to most, is having the company of people who know the struggle from the inside out. I find comfort knowing you and hearing what you think and feel as well as others on the forum. And like you, I want to be living my life, not wrapping my life around a)drinking or b)trying not to drink. I completely get that! Gotta find a comfort zone.

Checking in for 24 more with my fellow travelers.
                  Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Ugh 4:16 am in Vegas ( don't even ask what time I woke up!) Another 24 please
                    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

“You have been told that, even like a chain, you are as weak as your weakest link. This is but half the truth. You are also as strong as your strongest link. To measure you by your smallest deed is to reckon the power of the ocean by the frailty of its foam. To judge you by your failures is to cast blame upon the seasons for their inconstancy.”
                      ― Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet

GMAE all. The sun is peeking through the clouds here in Jersey, 62f at 7:35 on this wondrous Wednesday morning. Committing to another 24!
                      “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
                      Newbies Nest Roll Call
                      Toolbox
                      Cattleman Cafe

Comment

7:00am in Alberta, another 24 please, and thanks...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                        [MENTION=22857]Neo[/MENTION] [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=20895]Orimus[/MENTION] [MENTION=22385]ssd858[/MENTION] [MENTION=23850]empyr3al[/MENTION] abcowboy

Pauly is right Empy, I don't think you are offending anyone. There is no "one" way to get and stay sober, there are many ways, and even a combination of some of them. I found what works for me, or maybe it found me, but either way, if it works why change it! There is a way for everyone, if you haven't found it, keep looking, keep trying!

Hey Pauly, what the heck time did you get up?? lol (I had to ask, it was like a "dare you" lol)
                        Last edited by abcowboy; September 13, 2017, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Rainy morning check-in here, Irma has arrived, just the remnants.
                          I have never tried AA or meds, so I can speak of neither. I too, don't like to think about drinking everyday. Many days it doesn't even cross my mind, other days, the cravings hit hard. Poor me why can't I drink like everyone else, or just a few won't hurt. Or even worse, wonder when I can start drinking a little again? But, I know better. So I check in here daily.
                          24 more for us all please.

Comment

Originally posted by dill View Post
                            [MENTION=23850]empyr3al[/MENTION] I appreciated your perspective and also the links you provided. I am glad that it sounds like you are in a good place right now in recovery and I hope you stay there are that things only get better for you! I think groups like AA and NA are really good for those who they are really good for, but of course are not for everybody. Each of us are finding our own way. The one thing I do think is especially helpful to me, and likely to most, is having the company of people who know the struggle from the inside out. I find comfort knowing you and hearing what you think and feel as well as others on the forum. And like you, I want to be living my life, not wrapping my life around a)drinking or b)trying not to drink. I completely get that! Gotta find a comfort zone.

Checking in for 24 more with my fellow travelers.
                            You do bring up a good point. Being around (for me once in a while) recovering addicts/alco you actually have people that understand. I do find myself running up against brick walls with people that have no idea what its like. Can make me really frustrated at times. So yeah, the once a week CBT group of recovering addicts/al is a touching point, as well as the forum. For some empathy and understanding and building yourself or helping others. Theory is once you hit Step 1 in AA, admitting you have a problem; you're entire perspective of it changes and thats where you feel alienated from non alcoholics. Then the more you learn the further you feel alienated by society that either are functional alcoholics addicts or non, just put the glass down people.

I have at times visited the detox clinic here that has AA meetings 2 times a day for the detoxing people and people are welcome that are stable and won't damage others. Kind of the 12th steppers helping the 1-3 steppers (if they care or are not just there because they are broke and have to detox and get fed good healthy food). Its a crazy reminder where you don't want to be again. For me my last relapse was heavy duty so I'm not yet prepared to do that reminder as its still fresh in my mind tbh.

We have AA/NA/CA (Cocaine Anonymous) and CBT type meetings (aka after care) here. I do the after care. There is some general disfunction in NA and CA here and putting users together as they lapse together, or hook up for sex. Its potentially because as I have full on witnessed and been told by group guidance leaders that even the thought of hooking up in the next hour or the practice of how you hook up is in and of itself addictive. The rush I guess. So sometimes talk of it leads to remembering the hook up of buying a bottle or in an addicts case, the preparation of said drug. In a freedom type rehab (very expensive), we had great food, and schedule to keep. The first week you are recommended if not required if you get a different colour magnet on the board to leave the site in groups of 3, to prevent stopping at a bar while you go pick up tooth paste or things for the next craft workshop or whatever. That way people can talk common sense into it. Some are obviously there against their will so in groups of 2, people play devil's advocate.

Dog want's to play and I have to train her. Enough ramble from me. Summary yes having empathetic people who can relate is helpful and also very dangerous in early recovery.

Checked in for the day, will be back later sometime! Have a good 24 everyone.
                            "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

“The ultimate reason for setting goals is to entice you to become the person it takes to achieve them”
                              ― Jim Rohn

GMAE all! Just before 7 am on this Thursday morning here in Jersey and the reddish sun is swaddled in gray. Committing to another 24!

Newbies Nest
                              Newbies Nest Roll Call
                              Toolbox
                              Cattleman Cafe

Comment

24 more please
                                Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                                X