~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

I certainly understand that drinking AF beer or wine is not for some, but it works for me, at times. I have a BIL who has been sober over 10 years, and he won't get near the stuff, or anything cooked with AL. He says they are huge triggers for him. I get that. For me, sometimes, I just seem to miss the "romantic" notion of drinking. (Can't think of a better word). Sometimes an AF beer hits the spot and fills the desire for AL. One at Oktobefest would have filled that need/desire. I keep a few AF beers at home, and have one every now and then. I have found a few that don't taste like crap, and there are even one or two with 0.0/AL. Yes, most are 0.5>less, and I don't feel a thing, and the body can metabolize that amount almost as fast as you can drink it.
    I have not had any, but my wife says all AF wine here is awful.
    But to dink one or not is certainly a personal choice.
    Weird about the fake counselors in Canada, Empy. Wonder why so many. On the flip side of the coin, a long time professional, such as a chemist, or Accountant, with 30-40 years experience, is not allowed to teach basic chemistry or math in a public school here in the states without a "teaching certificate", which requires a four year degree. Buyer beware, always!
    Ok, enough rambling, here's to 24 more hours of living for us all!

Comment

Never heard of that trick LC, will have to try it out! But so far I've found an empty flakes of chicken can with both ends cut out works best for me!
      Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
      Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
      Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

I'd love to give the Bud Prohibition a try Mr V, but something in my head says "don't go there", so I reckon I'll just listen to that voice lol
        Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
        Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
        Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Feeling like Autumn and by the changing light and changing leaves, looking like Autumn too. I love it!
          [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION], I would like to know the al free beer brands that you think are pretty good. I know what you mean about the "romantic" notion of drinking. We watch football here on Sundays and used to always have beer. We quit and switched to sparkling water bc several began having problems with health related to al. I wonder if any of them would like me to serve AF beer. I am going to ask. So, your recommendations might be helpful here, and if I do try it, I'll let you know how we get on.

Cowboy and LC, loved the cooking tips!

24 more please. Thank you.
          Last edited by dill; September 18, 2017, 08:07 AM.
          Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Got to say Mr V your wife is right about the af wine does taste awful. ...
            Wow another 24hours for me 😊
            Formerly known as Teardrop:l
            sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
            my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Part of my day as a wannbe farmer lol

Comment

Nice. Wow my arms and feet are sore from yard and trimming work all day. Trying to dog proof the yard for my puppy, and its a mangled mess out there! Have a good 24! That looks like fun abcowboy. Have you seen the automated ones? Wow.
                "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

"The thing you seek always seems to be in the last place that you look."

Such as sobriety and your way out. Its Murphy's Law. Keep on trying. 24 more for me Thought I'd chip in about a riddle of the mind. You are only in this place and time when you feel you have gotten there and resolve that you are now changed. Riddles
                  Last edited by empyr3al; September 18, 2017, 11:54 PM. Reason: typo
                  "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

"When you hold resentment toward another, you are bound to that person or condition by an emotional link that is stronger than steel."- Catherine Ponder

This quote is from a little book my Mom gave me.. it's another of the things I'm working on.. not trying to control people (usually my significant other) which leads to resentment which leads to personal insecurities and a sense of failure when said person does their own thing anyway.. "Let me follow my path today, knowing it's right for me. I will work on letting others walk their own paths, too."

Here it's a bit late already.. I'm done with work and trying to decide what to do with myself this afternoon..
                    I've got half of 24 AF hours under my belt today. Hope everyone is doing well..
                    Last edited by lifechange; September 19, 2017, 07:06 AM.

Comment

6:45am in Alberta, I'll have another 24 please, and thanks...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                      [MENTION=20527]Marylou123[/MENTION] [MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION] [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=9531]catch22[/MENTION] [MENTION=23850]empyr3al[/MENTION] abcowboy

Yep, I have seen the automatic systems empy, our new combines have the sync feature, unfortunately our track tractors don't. Maybe next year as th tractors are due for replacement next spring...

Well, the weatherman was right, rain moved in around 4 this morning so it's back to construction again till things dry up!

I'm worried about you Pauly, just keep coming back....

Comment

[MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION], the three AF beers I like best, for my taste, are all German, Bitburger Drive, at 0.0 percent AL, and Becks and Clausthaler, both at less than 0.5 percent. Although they are pricey, $7.50-$10.00/6-pack, and may be hard to find. Easier to find at large liquor stores/party sources, which of course can be another trigger. They may have them at your local Dorothy Lane Market, but most likely not at Kroger.
                        Sorry if this talk about AF beer bothers anyone, I'll remove the post if it does.
                        Some say if your beer has any AL in it, you're not AL free, I get that.
                        24 more for me please.

Comment

[MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] and [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] . During my AL free/0.5 days. The ones I tried. In Ontario in our grocery stores there were the brands that were of the stores ownership chain conglomerate, like PC brand (Presidents Choice). Then Molson Excel (horrible), Becks (not so bad), Grolsch (not so bad). Beck's I'd say was the best at 0.5%. Seems like drinking flat pop with them all as they carbonize like soda pop instead of using fermentation. Just like pop, they go flat fast and the texture of it is horrific. Was not worth my time and in fact cost more than a 5% or even an 8.5% thing like Budweiser Crown. Very very expensive for something that is entirely bad tasting imho. That did cause a relapse at one point in time in the last 5 years.

Now living in a border town at the time and an exchange rate of about 75 cents to the USD, a Budweiser Crown was 3.00$ here and in the states it was 10$ for 10$ USD in tall cans, so pints. So guess what happened The lizard brain in me would say, "Well this is okay... I'm saving money!" ... Oh how it deceives us. At 10pm-4 am it was 10 minute drive if you did this from my home, cross the border (3$), shop. 10 minutes drive home. Crack the cans :/ Oh what a crazy life when you cannot afford or justify what you are spending drinking and its was so easy to do. My goodness beer is cheaper in many states than juice.

Oh and in the morning around lunch we would stop at Chili's while in the states shopping and I'd down 4 pints with lunch, before shopping. 2 for WhaT!?>@!= ... Yeah in Western New York, 2 pints of bud for 2$ or something ... Here in Ontario at a restaurant its more in the order of 5-8$ for 1 pint. I can see why the USA has huge AL problems as its not as cost prohibitive. One really really odd thing that took a bit to get used to was that half the cans don't say their AL content in the states, unless they were bragging about their content, like Bud Crown or imported.

Anyways, I don't even bother trying to trick myself anymore. Then again, how would you know other than sipping the real stuff from someone else after being sober?

Hope I didn't trigger anyone? Have a great sober 24 everyone

Comment

Thank you Mr. V and Empy. Lots to consider. I'm almost afraid to have the al free product here just in case it does act as a trigger to anyone. The AL free wines are terrible, this I know.

LC, I really liked the quote. Resentment is an ugly beast and can be a big trigger for me.

I'm going to focus my energies today on good food. Chicken paprikash in the crockpot and a homemade apple pie in the oven! 24 more please and thank you.
                            Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Please - I'd like to continue this 24 hrs sober, without any toxic ciggs to. Thank you!.....

[MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION] - I looked up Malerweg trail. Quite beautiful LC!... Am so very happy and proud that you went hiking with your girls!... :smile: Girl power rocks!... Spending time alone with your girls in nature will be a lasting and beautiful memory. Fresh start for you and your lovely girls. It's great that they were looking forward to going back to school!... Not all teens feel/think this way. Says positive things about you Mom/Mum. Enjoy them all you can LC. They grow up to fast. My girls are 30 and 32. Hope and pray the teen years go smooth and will be fun!... Thank you for the great quotes. Resentments are also a trigger for myself. I just keep handing it all over to God. It takes time, patience and practice. I'm happier and have more peace, cause I know I'm NOT in control of many things others do or say. Wished I'd gotten this when I was younger, but better late then never. Think menopause eventually brings more peace. Just got/get tired of fighting myself about things I have no control over. It doesn't mean things don't hurt, or I have strong emotions any more, just less severe. Am to tired to fight. Acceptance has arrived. I know I'm not walking alone!... "Let go and Let God"......... Think I shall where more purple.

[MENTION=23850]empyr3al[/MENTION] - Read a couple days back on AA subject. Really didn't want to say much as there are many different feelings/thoughts and opinions. I've been in and out (mainly out) of the program for around 15 yrs. Depending on geographic/regions, meetings and people can be quite different. My perspective is that the program is watered down. There is the program (which is suppose to help with psychic/spiritual change). Than theres the fellowship. Have met many people who go occasionally for fellowship. Met many who don't suffer from addiction, alcoholism (isms). I've found the more I practice it's none of my business about what others do, or say the more content I am. I believe live and let live. I do like much of their dogma. Think I've learned most my recovery tools from AA. Have had resentments towards AA or mainly the people I've experienced. Haven't been to a meeting in a few years. Still, I'm very grateful for the rooms and the people who suit up and show up. Grateful for BB and 12x12 and the hotline. I told myself if needed or wanted I'll go back. I kinda miss them. You can learn a lot from listening to others. The steps in themselves may be good teaching tools for all people. Not just alkies/addicts. You may learn a lot about yourself, about how to handle life by doing them with a good sponsor. Bizarre that Canada doesn't have any laws or regulations in regards to fake degrees. Tho, am a believer that time and experience may just as equivalent and valuable.

[MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] - I agree to each their own with AF beers and wine. I personally don't like the taste of either. Romancing the drink is treading dangerous waters for self. They have led me back in the past to alcohol. I drank to get drunk. Drank to change the way I feel. Even non-alkies drink to change the way they feel. Not just talking about emotions. As Mario said " He drank for as many reasons as there are leaves on trees". Me too!... Good, bad, indifferent. Physical, mental, emotional and spiritual. Drank for no reason at all. Realize some problem drinkers can drink AF beers/wines and have NP. I'm an alcoholic and have plenty of other choices in beverages. Why take the risk when there are other choices available? Some pretty good Mocktail recipes out there. One of my fave's is raspberry mojito's. I use a pretty glass. Which could be construed as the same thing as AF beer/wine. So, I see myself as a hypocrite in a way. Think maybe the difference is am not personally comparing mocktail in pretty glass to real thing. Where AF beer and wine seem so close to the real thing in my mind. It's all in the minds eye. Sorry, rambling on. Quitting smoking is contributing to an already tired mind and body. Its worth it!...

[MENTION=20895]Orimus[/MENTION] - You in the bunker? Hope your SIL is doing better. Hope your doing something you enjoy.

[MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] - Read you and grandkids had a bonfire recently. Fun!..... Sorry you were out of hot dogs, but glad you had marshmallows. Have fond memories of bonfires with treats to roast. Never used to like smores. Do now. Lol.. Vacation we drove and parked on beach. Had a nice fire and bbq. Hubs wanted hotdogs. Since we don't have kids or grand kids around, we only eat them in summer. Buy only Hebrew or if I'm at meat market (occasionally) there are some good ones. We had smores, corn on cob. Have a pic of me eating one. I look so happy. Not normal. Really. Maybe I didn't know how to be happy in sobriety and am finding myself now. That it's okay to be happy even in the midst of pain, uncertainty, etc. Resting in Gods grace. He's sufficient. Brought a bottle of bubbles and kids buckets. Bought those last yr when kids flew home. Took pics of Mr WF and me playing like kids. Has been so many years. It was fun. There are many different seasons in life. A season for everything. Grateful, we are in a good one for the time. Have left over lasagna, salad. Need to make a peach crisp soon. Have done pie, cobbler, plain and milkshakes. Think I may have an addiction to peaches. :smile: Your and [MENTION=20527]Marylou123[/MENTION] food always sounds so good. Haven't forgotten cabbage rolls, mashers, and chili. I only make lasagna once a yr now. Share where I can or freeze half of it. So glad you went to a woman's meeting [MENTION=20527]Marylou123[/MENTION] and found it helpful. There's one here on the wknd thats smaller and have been wanting to go. I may do that before end of year. Think now that I'm older, the competition that exists among woman will be less. That's another long story. Am very glad [MENTION=9531]catch22[/MENTION] go's and it helps her. Am of the belief in whatever works is a good thing. Am not much into arguing or debating different sobriety methods. It's not a contest imo. Yet, whole heartedly understand the need to vent about things that hurt, upset or bother you. Think it releases a part of the sting. In doing so, may be able to look at things from a more positive perspective.

[MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION] - We all know your one hard working farmer/cowboy. But, lately part of your job looks like fun too. You sure deserve some of that too!...

[MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] - Am so very sorry for such a heavy load of pain/grief!... :hug: Will you please seek counseling? Can you share some of this with hubs. I use to not tell my hubs many things that were going on with kids and life. My Mom would tell me I was making a mistake. I see now she was right. I'm learning to rest in Gods grace no matter what is going on in life. Trust that things do and will work out. Many times there not what I want. There are times when loving and caring so deeply for others, we may destroy ourselves. Mis- directed and mis guided love imo. Being happy doesn't come easy for some of us. I grew up in abuse and dysfunction. Many yrs in marriage was the same. I had to let my kids fall flat on their faces some times. It hurt badly at the time. But, later it helped them. If you knew her ex BF's you'd believe me. Have Co-dependent issues and am learning to love self first. It's not selfish! It's self care!... You know what they say about putting your oxygen mask on first. Praying you see how beautiful you are!.... Your going to wake up one day, look in the mirror and know who you are, why your here and that you will know peace!.... That your not to blame for others choices, actions and behaviors!... Praying for a nice, safe vacation to CA. Praying you enjoy this time with your family. Praying you'll Let Go and Let God Control what you have NO control over. This action and acceptance can bring peace.

Hope everyone has a decent/good AF day!... I've been craving ciggs bad at times. Eating to much chocolate. Have only being having one piece of gum and two lozenges. Need one now. This is hard, but it can be done. Tho, pro's recommend waiting one yr, I'm not waiting. Did that before. When your ready nothing will stop you!.. I'm very tired and head has lost many marbles. Good I can laugh at self. Good that I realize I'm ok. Thank you MollyMoo. Yes, I realize the abusive way I've treated myself for decades and am not doing it anymore. Abuse and self sabotage were normal for me, its what I thought was normal. What a load of lies!.... Be good to yourself please. You really do deserve it. You are capable of handling all your emotions and thoughts. Able to get through life's tragedies, pains and griefs without numbing out, without poisoning yourself with ethanol. That's what alcoholics do, they over drink, they have lost control. You are strong and you will come to believe this. You will find freedom!.... :love:

Hope [MENTION=22328]PanhandleKim[/MENTION], [MENTION=22385]ssd858[/MENTION], [MENTION=11526]LostSoul[/MENTION], [MENTION=22391]idefineme[/MENTION], [MENTION=23019]tonyniceday[/MENTION] and any one I missed will check in. Even just to say Hi. Hope all you beautiful people are doing well!..... xoxo... :-)
                              Last edited by Wildflowers; September 19, 2017, 04:33 PM.

Comment

[MENTION=16893]Wildflowers[/MENTION] I believe Acceptance is the key it worked for me and also handing it over is a great thing to be able to do.
                                Another 24 for me 😊
                                Formerly known as Teardrop:l
                                sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
                                my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Working...
                                X