~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

@Falldown7timesstandup8 - Congratulations on not drinking that bottle. HUGE!!! Great job on your sobriety. Just my 2 cents but you have a lot going on in your life. Give yourself a break and don't worry about all of your problems at once. Yes - they are things that will have to be dealt with but for right now, I would give yourself a break. Just getting thru each day without a drink takes a lot out of us at first. I understand the depression and exhaustion. But, it gets better.....so much better. Then you will have the strength to deal with your other problems. :hug:
    Have you seen a Dr about your hand?
    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hi [MENTION=24081]Falldown7timesstandup8[/MENTION]! Welcome to the Club and Café! Some of the things I’m about to say, you’ve probably already heard, but I’ll say them anyway. Congratulations on your sober time! 3 weeks sober is a darn good start on a quit that sticks. No matter what happens, keep moving forward because your life depends on it. It really only takes one day at a time, just today, that’s all you should really care about. So let’s see what we can do to help you from making the 8th fall.

I’m always in a bit of a dilemma when trying to give advice to anyone, and it makes it even more difficult when the other person is a woman as I tend to take a male’s perspective on things. But here goes…

I’m not trying to make light of your situation, as it does sound a bit disheartening, but all of us here thought we all had valid reasons to drink. So let’s look at things another way…

You have trouble with your hand, but you still have both of them. You adapt and change to make it work for you. You still have a job, and it sounds like you’re doing okay with that. Is there a solution to the problem with your hand? It sounds like you have a good benefit plan and an understanding boss if he’s keeping you around.

You have 24 year old kids who live with you. Well, you haven’t had to bury one, or both of them, you don’t have to keep a bedside vigil while they lay in a hospital room. If you’ve tried everything you can, maybe try a compromise, confine them to their own rooms to live the way they want. If they want to share the rest of the house with you, it’s on your terms and rules. If they don’t like it, they can find a different place to live.

Ah, the gardener….you did a great thing by not drinking it! But maybe handing it back with a “Thank you for thinking of me, but I’m not drinking anymore” might have served 2 purposes? I personally think giving it to the boys was not what I would have done, but that’s just me. I would have done the first thing I mentioned, or I would have poured it down the drain, and a lot of my problems would have gone along with it.

Sorry if I’m coming across as not being sympathetic to your situation, but the last thing we need as alcoholics is sympathy! Sympathy only gives us more reasons to drink. Being depressed is just a state of mind, and you can change that state. The easiest way I know how is by having an attitude of gratitude and using “never the less” when you start to feeling sorry for yourself. You can change who and what you are, but the change has to start with you…. Start a gratitude journal, and write in it everyday. Look at the positives in your life and don’t dwell on the negatives.

I’m very glad you’re here and I hope I didn’t scare you away. But everything I’ve said has helped me to get and stay sober. It may not be all you need, but it’s a good place to start….
      Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
      Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
      Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

I am loving my gratitude journal, AB.. I got the idea from someone to paint in it. So I use watercolours first and after it's dried I write down everything I'm grateful for. It has become a great distraction AND something the girls like to do with me.. I got them each a book and we paint together..

Welcome StandUp!!.. Well done on 3 weeks of sobriety!

Here's to the first Advent weekend.. I am looking forward to enjoying this Holiday season AF, focussing on all of the beauty of Freedom..Sobriety is completely and 100% within my power and it's something that NOONE can take away from me.
        Here's to 24 more af hours for all of us here! Great decorations, AB.. thanks for that!
        Last edited by lifechange; December 2, 2017, 10:44 AM.

Comment

6:30am in Alberta, 24 more please, and thanks...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
          [MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION] [MENTION=22857]Neo[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=20895]Orimus[/MENTION] [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=24081]Falldown7timesstandup8[/MENTION] abcowboy

You'll soon see that we shorten names here [MENTION=24081]Falldown7timesstandup8[/MENTION], and I'm going to shorten yours to Standup if you don't mind. It's a whole lot more positive than Falldown!
          Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
          Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
          Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

[MENTION=21590]Fall[/MENTION]downseventimestandup8 Glad that you finally posted here......listen to the cowboy, he is a very wise man. :happy2: As I said in my PM to you, I think that you will like it here, all are friendly and offer some sound advice. Your job is to heed that advice and follow through with it, or you will still be spinning your wheels in that nasty old rut. I think that starting a gratitude journal is a great idea, or you can post what you are grateful for on this site; it really does help put things in perspective. You have an awful lot on your plate right now, and maybe instead of looking at it as one huge mess, you could separate them into individual problems. This way, you could prioritize the most important one first, deal with that, then move down the list to the next problem. Separating the enemy gives them less strength. Keep posting here, listen to the advice given, heed that advice and things will get better. Down the road, you will see other newcomers to this forum, and someday, you will be telling them about your battle with alcohol, and giving them advice. it's all part of the healing process.

Comment

9:00 am in NY....here's to another 24!

Comment

24 more for me please. :happy2:
                Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

7:27 am in Vegas another 24 please
                  I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                  Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Thanks for the support, all! Working today, so got to run.
                    24 more for all of please.

Comment

Another 24 hours please.

QW
                      AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                      F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
                        ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

3:40 pm here in Jersey and the clouds are amassed in the east. 47 F and committed to another 24!
                        [MENTION=24081]Falldown7timesstandup8[/MENTION], what is the life that you imagine? If you wanted to feel proud of yourself what could you proud of? Sounds like a lot of pieces that aren't quite fitting together so what is the border of the jigsaw? Just a few thoughts. Welcome and congratulations on three weeks.
                        “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
                        Newbies Nest Roll Call
                        Toolbox
                        Cattleman Cafe

Comment

Well, hunting season ended Nov 30th, but I still got to spend the day with Adam helping him put the tin on his new cover-all!

I want to thank [MENTION=20895]Orimus[/MENTION] for another week of great quotes!

So happy to see you [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION]! I must confess that I was a bit worried, probably needlessly, but worried anyway...

Comment

""aknowledge your pain. let it surface and spill over. give it permission to make an uncomfortable mess. healing can happen this way.. and so can emotional freedom. face it all.. free it, too."" -alex elle

Important for me not to keep things bottled up.. doesn't mean I have to spew it, but it's good to acknowledge the things that are bothering me/painful/uncomfortable and then find a way to deal.

Here's to 24 more AF hours!

Coverall looks amazing, AB!!
                            Last edited by lifechange; December 3, 2017, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the picture, cowboy. Wow, it looks cold!

Thanks for the thought for today, LC. It is something I need to work on too.

It's been a busy weekend here. Our granddaughter came for the weekend and she is a high spirited little thing! We did a craft together yesterday so she is all set with her Christmas gifts for family and friends for this year.

24 more please, and thank you.
                              Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

The sun is rising on another sunny day.
                                24 more here please.

Comment

Working...
                                X