~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

I absolutely love that quote, [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION]! I'll be passing that one along!

So happy I stuck to my commitment yesterday and woke up hangover free yet again! What a gift to wake feeling good and clear-headed.

24 more please.
    Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

5:07 am in Vegas another 24 please
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

[MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] So glad that you stuck with it and went AF yesterday. I think that one of the many gifts that sobriety brings us is hangover free mornings....so much to be thankful for.

Comment

6:30am in Alberta, 24 more please, and thanks..

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
          [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=20895]Orimus[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] abcowboy
          Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
          Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
          Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Great quote Jude! More to say on it in a bit....

What triggered you yesterday Dill? You'll need to jot it down and how you pushed through for future reference... But good on ya for stickin' with your quit!

Jude, your sleepless night reminded me of the many nights that I would wake up at 3am drenched in the "alcohol sweats". Then not being able to get back to sleep because of the GSR of getting drunk once again and worried about what I's said/done the night before! If I wake up now, it's because I need a trip to the bathroom lol.
            Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
            Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
            Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Just a quick run by.. 7am and looking for 24 more! will check in again with you all later!

Comment

Yup, sure don't miss the night sweats! Grateful to be clear headed this morning, even if I slept till 8:30, lol.
                24 more please.

Comment

[MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION], there wasn't any particular thing yesterday. Just a long, gray day and I was longing for escape. We all have days like that and it's best to deal with them in a more healthy way and I'm glad I did.
                  Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

Winter has returned, depositing about 8” of light, fluffy snow. Yuck.

QW
                    AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                    F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

[MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION] I sure don't miss those alcohol sweats....they were awful! I hear ya on the bathroom trips, so much fun getting older. Pretty soon we'll all be talking about what kind of Depends we use. :egad:

Comment

Sooooo, guess I’ll pick up where I left off this morning…..

I read that quote Jude, and my mind took off….funny how one sentence can lead from thought to thought. I should have just shut my brain down, but I figured it was good therapy for me to let my thoughts wander. When I read that quote, another quote popped into my head; “when the going gets tough, the tough get going”, and when that entered my mind, so did my ex-wife! Let me explain…

My best friend when I was growing up (also a drinking buddy, my bestman at my wedding, and me at his) had this painting. It was a three horse hitch, heads lowered, forging ahead through a blinding blizzard. The caption underneath said, when the going gets tough, the tough get going! When my ex and I built our new house, in the middle of it was the family room, or rum room as I called it lol. The feature wall had a large wood burning fireplace flanked on each side with the entertainment pieces. I knew the exact picture that I wanted to hang above the mantel, so my search was on. It took me months, but I finally found a poster of that exact painting. It ended up being quite expensive with framing and matting costs, but it was perfect for the room. My ex never gave it to me when we divorced, I didn’t get many of my things at all, and the kids said she sold most everything at a garage sale.

At the time, I was very upset with her, her greed, and as the years went by I used her as an excuse to get drunk. Every time I thought of her, I’d drink. After getting sober, I realized I was getting mad over nothing. Just like my drinking, she was just a part of my past, thoughts that I didn’t need to carry into the future. And it was time that I lived up to the caption in that picture.

So Jude, it’s amazing how one sentence can make a difference. That one sentence flooded my mind with thoughts, and I went to work feeling at peace. That’s what the Club and Café is all about……

And no, I’ve never been able to find that picture or poster again. But I won’t give up looking….

Comment

No, I don't miss those night sweats either! And I'm happy that waking up in the middle of the night without the GSR's is becoming my norm.
                          AB, I think it's good to let those thoughts wander sometimes.. as long as it doesn't become something we obsess over, but more a way of "working through" it once again. I've had the opportunity to do that recently and with time my perspective has changed.. and in that, my level of pain.. which makes it easier to let go. This last time I felt as if I was able to "control" the rate at which my thoughts progressed and I kept moving them forward, not getting stuck on one part of the memory. I don't know. I've always had a hard time letting go of relationships and have tended in the past to bury the pain.. of course it has to come out at some point. So I like this new way.. which is only possible with some clarity of mind and stability/trust in myself. Slowly but surely..

Dill, that sounds like a nice and quiet Christmas.. I'm glad you decided not to drink yesterday! Did you read what Lav wrote in the Nest today? About a first sober Christmas? I don't know if it's yours, but it's the first I can remember, I think, since I was a teenager. I've had some where I haven't let it get too out of control, some that have even been great.. but not recently. And definitely not this year. This year I know I would just have regrets and sadness.. Now I'm looking at it almost as a challenge... to see what I'll feel like the morning after.
                          I'm also so looking forward to starting this New Year with strength and belief and hope. Which for me only comes with sobriety. Damn, this took a long time for me to learn. And it's still hard work, especially on those days (tonight) where the AV comes at me from out of nowhere. Annoying, to say the very, very least.

I'm very happy that I brought my laptop, that I can come here to escape! It's saving me..
                          Thank you, Café Folks! xx
                          Last edited by lifechange; December 20, 2017, 10:50 PM.

Comment

The sun is finally coming up and the sky is gorgeous. It will be the shortest day of the year, the first day of winter, and a darn good day not to drink! Banish the night sweats and the GSR!

24 please.
                            Dill

Comment

“Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail.– Ralph Waldo Emerson

Good morning all! (or whatever it is in your part of the world

7:50 am here in N.Y. Another 24 please!

See dill the sun always comes out eventually, sometimes you just have to look up to see it. :love:

Great post cowboy....just a few words tells us a lot about your past and lessons learned. I do hope that you find that picture someday.

[MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION]...keep moving forward. I've found that sobriety can sometimes bring a mixed bag of emotions, but the greatest one is inner peace.

O.K. sometimes I'm a little dense, but what the heck is GSR??
                              Last edited by Jude58; December 21, 2017, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Almost 8:30 am here in Jersey and just about time to get off to the office. A sunny 32 F, another day in paradise. (Self Talk):thumbsup: Committing to another 24!
                                [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION], your quote from yesterday brought another to mind: "...But in fact, the plane is off course at least 90 percent of the time. Weather conditions, turbulence, and other factors cause it to get off track. However, feedback is given to the pilot constantly, who then makes course corrections and keeps coming back to the exact flight plan, bringing the plane back on course. And often, the plane arrives at the destination on time. It’s amazing." - Stephen R. Covey, How to Develop Your Personal Mission Statement
                                I actually heard it first from Tony Robbins but Covey's is the first one that popped up. I also see a quote from Brian Tracy giving it 99% of the time. Still fact checking but ....
                                Last edited by Orimus; December 21, 2017, 08:32 AM.
                                “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
                                Newbies Nest Roll Call
                                Toolbox
                                Cattleman Cafe

Comment

Working...
                                X