Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Hola everyone.

Good to see you Empy, i was wondering where u were. I agree with your post. I'd like to see much more of Smart recovery around here in Oz. AA sure has it's pros and cons, more so than Smart, CBT, DBT, which are excellent techniques and ways of managing our thoughts, emotions and impulses. AA meetings can be very different, so if we're lucky we find a group to feel comfortable in. Still, it's so available and widespread with often 3 meetings a day/night 7 days a week that it can be a lifesaver e.g. for someone struggling and lost while on the waiting list for 3 months to see a professional etc. If a person is really lost and nothing else has worked, the 12 steps can be a lifeline and a simple code for living to grasp onto at least in the beginning if not throughout life. The social connection that helps to fight isolation (one of our biggest killers) is free and readily available in most western cities. But AA is not the only way. Take what you need and leave the rest. I hope and believe Smart, CBT, DBT, Yoga and buddhist infused Al and drug recovery programs will expand and thrive.

Oh yeah, 7:00 a.m. in Oz. Another 24 hrs pls ref.
    Last edited by Guitarista; December 22, 2017, 03:10 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

“Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you.” – Charlotte Whitton

Good morning all!

5:15 am here in N.Y. Grateful to be here today, and looking forward to another 24.

Comment

6:30am in Alberta, 24 more please and thanks...

In the last 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
        [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=20895]Orimus[/MENTION] [MENTION=23850]empyr3al[/MENTION] [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION] [MENTION=7261]Guitarista[/MENTION] abcowboy
        Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
        Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
        Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

6:35 here and happy about waking up Unhung.. here's to 24 more af hours for us all!

Comment

This is an interesting discussion Empy and G-man, what choice is the right (or wrong) choice to us as individuals. G-man is right, AA is available just about everywhere, and to a lot of people who live in smaller places, it's just about the only choice. Since the coming of the technology age, lots more options have opened up to those suffering from addiction. Let's take me as an example; there are AA meetings every day of the week within a 30 - 40 minute drive from where I live, but I would have to make a 2 hour drive to Edmonton to attend any other type of addiction program. Or, I do it online, or join one of the addiction support forums. But many older alcoholics don't have the savvy or resources to do online recovery, so what are their options? They are pretty much left with AA. And G-man is right again about the face to face connection you get from attending a meeting (of any kind). I think a lot more people would benefit from face to face support if they keep struggling. AA gave me hope that I could quit, they did it, so I can too. And once that seed of hope is planted, it will grow...

A big thank you to Jude for the great quotes this week! Looking forward to more of them when your turn comes up again!
            Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
            Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
            Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Rainy day check-in.
              I can't weigh in on any of the recovery groups as I've never attended a meeting of any kind, nor have I tried therapy. I just knew I drank too much and needed to quit.
              This place, and OYNB is my only support.
              So, thank you all for being here.
              24 more for all of us please.

Comment

I've heard both good and bad things about AA....I guess that it really depends on the person, and what works for them. As cowboy pointed out, for many reasons, AA is the only option for many people. Like you Mr. V, I can't really give an opinion on the subject as I've never attended a meeting; this forum and me, myself and I are my only support during this journey. Personally, I don't really think that I would be comfortable at a meeting.....I'm somewhat introverted, which might make me less likely to open up in front of a bunch of people. At this point MWO has been very good for me, and I don't feel the need to attend any meetings. I'm so grateful for all of you here, it's like having a big cyber shoulder to lean on.

Comment

Just a quick check in for me today. It's a hit the ground running kind of a day! Here's to 24.
                  Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Asking for 24 hours x 4, please and thank you.

I’m heading to my son & daughter in law’s house for the next few days. Can’t wait to see the happy faces Monday morning! Grandkids make the holiday so much more special!

I went into the belly of the beast yesterday - liquor store - a place I haven’t been in almost 6 months, and bought wine. What struck me was the number of shoppers who had shopping carts full of booze and then paid by credit card! I smiled, maybe a bit smugly, as I thought how happy I am not to be doing that anymore. It also occurred to me that perhaps my daughter in law forgot I don’t drink when she asked me to buy the wine.

Off to the airport to pick up my son and his buddies. First time in 7 years he’s been home in Canada.

To those who celebrate, a very AF Merry Christmas! And to those who don’t, stay strong!

All the best to everyone here.

QW
                    AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                    F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

[MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION], I agree that your DIL likely forgot that you forgot that you don't drink when she asked you to bring the wine. In a way that is nice, I think. But I am definitely impressed with you going in to the belly of the beast and coming out victorious! Good job!
                      [MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION], did you have any luck finding our [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION]? I miss her!

24 more please.
                      Last edited by dill; December 24, 2017, 06:24 AM.
                      Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

6:15 am in N.Y. Thankful for the past 24 hrs....I'll have another please. Hope that everyone has a great day!

Comment

Grey morning with a little snow expected this afternoon.
                          Working today, then on the road to the in-laws.
                          Had to hit the shops yesterday, as Mrs V broke her teapot, and I wanted to surprise her with a new one for Christmas. Mercifully the crowds were light.
                          Might not be able to check-in tomorrow, so if I can't, I hope every one has a wonderful, sober Christmas.
                          24 or 48 for us all, please.

Comment

"What is Christmas? It is tenderness for the past, courage for the present, hope for the future. It is a fervent wish that every cup may overflow with blessings rich and eternal, and that every path may lead to peace."

6:25am in Alberta, 24 for me and everyone else who needs them please, and thanks...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                            [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION] [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] abcowboy

Comment

Comment

I want to take this moment to wish all of you here a very Merry Christmas! I know it will be hard for some to check in tomorrow (not to worry Mr V, got ya covered) with all the Christmas celebrations happening. So a special thank you to each and everyone of you! You have made my journey so rewarding, and that's the best Christmas present ever!

Comment

Working...
                                X