No announcement yet.

~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boy, for being a quiet kinda guy, I'm sure posting a lot this morning! I figured I'd better get some breakfast on for y'all...

Now I better get back in the kitchen and get the cake out!
    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

“Sometimes we motivate ourselves by thinking of what we want to become. Sometimes we motivate ourselves by thinking about who we don’t ever want to be again.– Shane Niemeyer

I had a wicked craving for pizza and wings last night, and there is a small bar/ restaurant down the road which has the best of both. The bar is a bit of a hole in the wall, and that's where you have to go to pick up your order. When we arrived, there were maybe five or six people sitting at the bar, and they were totally sloshed. There was a lot of slurred words, laughter and back thumping going on, all of which I would have been a part of not so long ago. If I had had any worries about going into a bar so early in my recovery, (and I did) they were completely dispelled by the scene in front of me. They all looked like they were having a good time, but behind those blood shot eyes I saw a lot of loneliness and despair.
      In that moment, I saw something that I never want to be again.

8:50 am, 28 degrees F, cloudy but quiet....a good day. After last nights encounter, I am so glad to be enjoying this Sunday morning hangover free. Here's to another 24 hours and thank you!
      Last edited by Jude58; January 21, 2018, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Okay, last post for a while, I promise! Huge congrats to one of the Clubbers [MENTION=20527]Marylou123[/MENTION]!

Thanks for being here for us and showing us the way!
        Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
        Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
        Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

We had a fabulous day at Ek Bellam yesterday, some of the most impressive restored Mayan sites we’ve seen. The view from the top of the temple is amazing!

QW
          Last edited by Quit wining; January 21, 2018, 12:05 PM.
          AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
          F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Hello All — checking in with four years and looking for 24 more. Gather up the fancy mugs and fill em with you best brew Cowboy, this rounds on me. And no holding back on the real dairy creamer!

Thank you so much [MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION] for the acknowledgement. I’m grateful for each and every day sober. This year I wanted to grow “my community.” I started by venturing out of the Nest and into this Cafe. And my community has grown by each one of you who come here and take the time to post — anything. Just asking for 24 more keeps the focus on today (all we have.) I love it when it’s just time and temperature too — that can momentarily change a thought. Thank you all for every contribution you make.

My celebration plan — pick up a rack of dry smoked ribs & fixings (done); open all the windows cuz it’s a perfect 75 degrees (don’t hate me) and wish, hope and pray the Jacksonville Jaguars beat the Boston Patriots today.

Hugs — Marylou
            Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

A big congratulations to you, [MENTION=20527]Marylou123[/MENTION]! Four years is a huge achievement! I'm very glad you tried your wings and ventured out of the nest and into the Café. You might try the Gratitude thread if you are looking to expand your horizons a bit.
              Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Jude58 View Post
                “Sometimes we motivate ourselves by thinking of what we want to become. Sometimes we motivate ourselves by thinking about who we don’t ever want to be again.– Shane Niemeyer

I had a wicked craving for pizza and wings last night, and there is a small bar/ restaurant down the road which has the best of both. The bar is a bit of a hole in the wall, and that's where you have to go to pick up your order. When we arrived, there were maybe five or six people sitting at the bar, and they were totally sloshed. There was a lot of slurred words, laughter and back thumping going on, all of which I would have been a part of not so long ago. If I had had any worries about going into a bar so early in my recovery, (and I did) they were completely dispelled by the scene in front of me. They all looked like they were having a good time, but behind those blood shot eyes I saw a lot of loneliness and despair.
                In that moment, I saw something that I never want to be again.

8:50 am, 28 degrees F, cloudy but quiet....a good day. After last nights encounter, I am so glad to be enjoying this Sunday morning hangover free. Here's to another 24 hours and thank you!
                And sometimes I think we motivate ourselves with a mixture of both what we want to become AND what we don't want to be again. Thanks for the quote and for sharing your experience of going into that bar.
                Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

[MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] yeah I can relate those experiences of seeing wasted people and remembering what it was like. I slip once in a while as recently happened and its a corker but wasn't that bad. I learned very much the hard way how to mend myself after quiting cold turkey in a detox center. It's horrific if you have no idea what to expect your first time. People swear the place is haunted but thats likely just with withdrawal. I sometimes go to witness the horror people are going through just to remind myself what its like. There are AA meetings there twice a day and you can attend even while not in the detox so long as you have a length of sobriety. The meetings are mandatory while your are detoxing in the detox (wordy?!). Which ever way you can convince yourself sobriety is better, whether it be witnessing drunken people at a bar or watching the withdrawal. Its pretty powerful to see it from the other side of the coin. I found going to a bar sober was extremely boring. I just wanted to leave. Not because I wanted a drink but because it was a useless waste of time.
                  "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Yukon alcohol experiment leads to sober second thoughts | Toronto Star

This is a follow up article regarding the alcohol labeling in the Yukon, Canada. Seems they were going to test 3 different labels and not just the cancer one. I had mentioned I think to [MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION] that it was 6 times the hospital admissions for alcohol vs heart attack, but this article just says its more than... doesn't say by how much. But related injuries due to intoxication should also fall into it and not just alcohol-related conditions — alcohol poisoning, alcohol withdrawal, liver disease, chronic alcohol disease. Bone breaks, deaths by drunk driving, accidents, abuse, cuts, etc.

One point I did make was that income from taxes was less than the cost. I think its exponential when you include alcohol induced mishaps.

So Bingo... What I was saying about the costs vs the rewards in taxes.....

"The annual cost of alcohol abuse, an estimated $14.6 billion in 2002, is higher than government revenue from the control and sale of alcoholic beverages in almost all jurisdictions in Canada."

Its interesting that the article says that the litigation could not be taken on just by the Yukon (which has a very small population for those that don't know Canadian demographics). The cost should be federal and follow our food nutrition policies. Appears the world is watching and curious how it would pan out. I implore our federal government to take a stand. 3/4 of people the article states don't know the link to cancer or what a standard drink is. 80% drink... many to excess.

Anyways, give it a read and chime in if anyone has any opinions.

Have a great 24.

Yukon alcohol warning researchers still hopeful, after labels yanked | CTV News

Another link with a video interview. Tons of people and organizations are mentioned.
                    Last edited by empyr3al; January 21, 2018, 09:44 PM. Reason: Additional link
                    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

“When was the last time you woke up and wished you’d had just one more drink the night before? I have never regretted not drinking. Say this to yourself, and you’ll get through anything.” – Meredith Bell

7:00 am in N.Y. Good Monday morning all.....here's to another 24 and thank you!

@empyr3ral I agree with your comment about how boring it is going to a bar sober. I often felt the same way when I was drinking there as well. Sitting in an often dark and very loud environment, I would look out the window, (if there was one) see the sunshine, and say to myself, "what the hell am I doing in this dumpy joint, wasting such a beautiful day outside? I'm a lot smarter now....

Comment

Well it's nearly 12.20pm here in Scotland and I have a day off work....but I'll also have another 24 please!

Comment

great quote, Jude.. thank you.
                          13:42 and here's to 24 more af hours.

Comment

6:15am in Alberta, I'll have another 24 please, and thanks...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                            [MENTION=23019]tonyniceday[/MENTION] [MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=20527]Marylou123[/MENTION] [MENTION=23850]empyr3al[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!

Comment

6:04 am in Vegas another 24 please and congratulations on 4 years Marylou!!
                              I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                              Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Well Marylou, I’m certainly glad you decided to join our little group! There definitely is strength in numbers!

Towards the end of my drinking career I very seldom went to a bar, I preferred to drink alone. Drown my sorrows only to find out they could swim, have my own pity party, then do it all again the next day. Quite a life eh! I bet I can count on the fingers of 1 hand how many times I’ve been in a bar in the last 10 years. And now, I still go down to the neighbour’s shop, still attend family gatherings, and still attend social functions. The difference between then and now, I leave when I want, not when the booze runs out…

Do I regret not drinking? No, I don’t regret it, what I do regret is all the years I wasted because of my drinking. I think Marylou can agree with me that as more time goes by, I seldom, if ever, find myself regretting the fact that I can’t have any, at all, for the rest of my life. Acceptance, pure and simple. Accept that simple truth, don’t dwell on it, and move forward with the rest of your life. Sober life is the normal for me, I feel better physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Just can’t think of a downside to that….

Comment

Working...
                                X