~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Great quote cowboy! Grandma Moses was a wise woman!

Looking forward to our horseback ride in the mountains today, and hopefully it will be a little more peaceful than it was here last night! At first I REALLY wanted a drink as we were all sitting in the hot tub yesterday. Damn the stuff looked pretty good to me, and it took everything that I had to say no thanks. I just kept thinking how good that first glass would taste, but then I fast forwarded to the scenario of how I would feel in a couple of hours. It stopped me cold in my tracks. I watched the others around me get pretty wasted, loud and obnoxious My husband and son got into a huge fight which escalated into a screaming match, a much needed reminder to stay away from the booze. Didn't look like they were having much fun anymore, and I was disgusted by the whole thing, so I popped in some earplugs and went upstairs to read. When everyone else wakes up feeling like death warmed over, I will feel extremely grateful for not having taken that first drink. Off to the mountains for some horseback riding this morning, and i sure hope that Mr. Jude and his son will leave the drama at home. If not, I will run them over with my horse!:horse:

You look like your healing well cowboy, but as you know it will take a long time before you have a fully functioning hand again. Just keep doing your physical therapy! Has your vet mentioned the possibility of Hank having allergies? When I worked as a vet tech, we saw a lot of allergies, especially those involving food. Dogs allergies manifest themselves in different ways than they do in people, usually with skin problems. Just a thought.....might not hurt to get a second opinion.

Asking please for another 24 hours and thank you very much!

Comment

I'm glad you are healing so well, cowboy. That is one ugly scar tho. It's a miracle that the surgeons could do so much for you! You and Hank are quite the duo!

Grandma Moses sure knew what she was talking about. We can each make our lives good or pure misery, through our own thoughts, actions and reactions. We have to make the best of things, no matter what. That's one thing I truly admire about you [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] and Mrs. QW. You both are dealing with her illness with such grace.

Mr. V, we have loads of tools around here gathering dust too! At least they're good for something!

24 more please.
      Last edited by dill; July 25, 2018, 10:42 AM.
      Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

Pauly, don’t worry about the cost of the grill, think of how wonderful the brisket will taste! I’d love to get a smoker but we’re in downsizing mode in anticipation of a move to a house with no stairs, likely a condo, in the next couple of years. And, I already have a gas grill and a charcoal barbecue.

It was cool and foggy early this morning when we walked but what a wonderful way to start the day!

Hope everyone enjoys a great af Wednesday!

Cowboy, hope you and Hank take it easy today.

QW
        Last edited by Quit wining; July 25, 2018, 12:07 PM.
        AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
        F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Cool and sunny morning again.
          Sorry about the fight, Jude.
          AL tends to bring out the worst in us all.
          I have 2 smokers and a gas grill, lol.
          I love cooking outdoors, and continue through most of the winter.
          Hot enough to cook without a grill, there in Vegas, Pauly! Hope you're staying cool.
          24 more please!

Comment

"One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn't pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself."
            - Lucille Ball

5:50am in Alberta, 24 more for me please, and thanks...

Cool and thick fog this morning, but I expect it will burn off fast as the sun is poking through.

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
            [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
            Last edited by abcowboy; July 26, 2018, 06:53 AM.
            Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
            Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
            Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

5:14 am in Vegas another 24 please
              I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
              Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Well, Hank's bandage didn't last too long, got up this morning and he had it chewed off lol. We were supposed to take it off today anyway, so he saved us the trouble. That's my boy lol.

It's hard to put up with a room full of drunks eh Jude! I can handle it to a certain point; the stories keep repeating or the verbal or physical fights start. So much nicer to not be involved anymore. I'm following the therapists orders to a tee, I want full use of my hand again, and definitely don't want to go under the knife again because I did something stupid and ruptured one of the repaired tendons!

You're right Pauly, they actually told me that if you smoke or drink heavily, you can add a full week to the recovery process. Guess I just have to add one week. 6 weeks to go! I think you're going to be just fine this weekend Pauly, whether its one night or two. You don't drink, and nothing or no one is going to change that!

Like Mr V, I have 2 smokers, 1 propane grill, and 1 nat gas grill. But it's only because we have one of each at the farm and here at home. Tbh, I should sell both grills as we've never used them since we got the wood pellet grills. That brisket sounds like it's going to be tasty QDub!
                Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Nothing like a room full of drunks to put things into perspective! Makes me that much more committed to staying sober!

All this talk about smokers is making me hungry!

Another 24 please and thank you very much!

Comment

Somehow I missed seeing your post yesterday, [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION]. I'm scratching my head as to how. I was reading Mr. V's post today and saw his comment to you and I thought, what is he talking about?! So I scrolled up and there you were. And I'm glad too because I was kind of missing hearing from you yesterday! LOL Sounds like you made a great choice not to join in to the festivities last night! Maybe Mr. J will see the value and the sense in kicking al to the curb and will follow your example. Either way, I must congratulate you on managing your quit in spite of living with someone who continues to drink. I am pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to be that strong.

Wise words from Lucille Ball but easier said than done a lot of the time. At least at first. After practice optimism comes more easily, don't you think?

24 more please and thank you!
                    Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Cross-post, Jude! How was that horseback ride yesterday? Wouldn't have been fun hungover!
                      Dill

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

There should be lots of brisket to enjoy, wish you could all come!

About 5 weeks ago my neighbour thought it would be a good idea to punch a car after leaving a bar. He broke his wrist and will still be in a cast for another 2 weeks. Chalk up another one for al and the not so smart decisions people can make under the influence. He’s an electrician and not only has he been unable to work, his company shut down after 20 years in business. He hasn’t been applying for work because of the cast. I know he’s mad at himself but he’s 40 years old and has a family. What the hell was he thinking? Oh yeah, al was in charge of his brain.

It was another great start to the day - a walk with my little buddy at 5:45, a beautiful sunrise and blueberry pancakes for brekkie. Life is good!

Cowboy, I’m not surprised Hank chewed off the bandage. Our previous dog did the same thing.

Have a great af day everyone!

QW
                        AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                        F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Miss your porch reports [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION]! The horseback ride was awesome...beautiful country in NC, but I do miss home.

Comment

What an incredible sight from the porch this morning! That moon setting was spectacular! It was full, huge, orange and amazing. I hope I wasn't the only one to see it. Truth be told I couldn't see it from the porch because of the trees. I took my coffee cup and walked out in my robe and slippers to the edge of the pasture where I had a clear view as I enjoyed the cool morning air, the chirping birds and the company of my trusty Tessa. What could be better?

24 more please and thank you.
                            Dill

Comment

“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”
                              – George Elliot
                              It is never too late to chase your dreams and it is never too late to achieve them. No matter what your age is, it is admirable to follow your dreams and not be comfortable living a life you never wanted. Too many people get comfortable and safe and forgo their dreams and goals for a satisfactory life instead of an amazing one.

5:35am in Alberta, another 24 please, and thanks...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                              [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
                              Last edited by abcowboy; July 27, 2018, 03:52 PM.

Comment

I forgot to mention yesterday about allergies [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION]. We thought that might be the problem with Hank before all this hypothyroidism stuff was diagnosed. We changed his food, his treats, and a few other things anyway. The vet didn't think it was allergies, she figured it was from his thyroid condition, or cancer. Just have to wait and see what the tests come back as...

You know QDub, I can't ever remember hurting myself or anyone else while I was under the influence, at least not physically anyway. God only knows how much emotional pain I caused! Guess it's just one more thing to be grateful for... Now, if I could just stop having these sober accidents lol.

Didn't see any moon this morning [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION], probably because of the clouds lol.

Safe travels if you head home today Pauly, just remember, you got this girl!

TGIF! No quitting on your quit eh!
                                Last edited by abcowboy; July 27, 2018, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X